SD card question by nooby

Am I correct in assuming that no matter how badly I mess up an update experiment on a TT One XL using an SD card, no changes will be made to the internal setup, and by removing the card from the TT I can revert to the original operation?
I ask this because during backup attempts I had to ?skip? several files with warnings about corruption, etc. So using a backup might fail. The unit functions perfectly though.
Thanks for your help.

There is a small part of most updates that write some information to what is called the Boot Loader, this is part of the device memory that isn't part of the SD card and cannot be undone. If you manage to brick the device by installing an incompatible boot loader you run the risk of bricking the device - Mike

The bootloader may or may not get updated when you install a new version of software for the first time (I haven't seen a bootloader verson number change for a long time...).

But once that has already happened, I don't think it can get changed again simply by normal copy/paste operations such as restoring an existing backup onto an SD card, can it?

But once that has already happened, I don't think it can get changed again simply by normal copy/paste operations such as restoring an existing backup onto an SD card, can it?
Nope - it's a one way change. The device looks to see if the bootloader being supplied is newer than the one that resides in the unit. If newer, it updates. If NOT newer, it does not update.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I would like to update from 8.010, boot 5.3026, map 675.1409, to 8.412, boot 5.5112, map 860.3101 on an SD, but I?m naturally worried about bricking. Is such an upgrade straight-forward for a noob, or is it too risky?

That update is unsupported by Tomtom. 8.412 is a newer app not supported by your model, and because of the newer bootloader such an upgrade (good or bad) would be irreversible.

Ask a Question