Noob questions

TomTom Model(s)
Last Christmas I received a ONE 125 United States. On the unit itself near the plug it has printed Canada 310? What exactly is it?

The real trouble that I'm having is that my updates vanish after a few days. About a month ago the unit was having trouble locking onto the satelites, I updated it online with the patch/fix which worked fine, however, if the unit sits for a few days the update is lost. When I plug it back into the computer the same three updates show up to download/install. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance. Mike

If it offers a gpsfix file when you connect to the computer using Home, it may quite likely be a different file from the day or two earlier.

The 125 is a stripped down 130 model that only has the US map (whereas the 130 came with both US and Canada). So TT likely used the 130 case and just provided a different (US map).

It was originally sold only by Radio Shack in the States.

Maybe I wasn't clear, after a few days the unit loses the update, it can take up to 20 mins. to acquire a satellite link until I update it again.

I guess some standard suggestions:
1. Use the unit frequently
2. It's much easier for a gps capture when the unit is stationary and in a clear open area
3. Ensure your windshield isn't one of those athermic (is that the word?), anyway, one with heating coils in it (more an issue with European cars and more an issue with non Go models who have a sirfIII gps chip which is supposed to be more robust).

The quickgpsfix update (which helps the Tomtom get a quick lock) expires in 3-5 days.

A new one is available usually every day, so you have to plug in frequently to keep the quickgpsfix functionality working.

If you don't want to plug it in that often, remove quickgpsfix from the tomtom under "Manage my ONE".

An unexpired quickgpsfix file gets satellite lock much faster than no file. And no file gets a satellite lock much faster than an expired file.

Ask a Question