Sorry for the noob questions...

Like my title says, I've been doing some searching around here and some of the answers I get are contradicting so I figured I'd just ask...

I have a TomTom XL. Not sure about the generation or anything, it was new on Christmas. It does NOT have a SD card or a reset. I update the mapshare and gpsfix weekly. I use the device daily in place of a paper maps and I drive to 7 or so locations that I never been too daily (service technician)...

The first problem I have is an Unable to Access blah blah error from time to time. I used the clear_flash prog from TomTom. I havent had a chance to see if that worked. The problem wasnt really effecting anything to the best of my knowledge. Anyway should I do anything else while I'm messing with it? Or is that a typical fix for that problem?

Second, I want to enable a password to the TomTom's use. However the manual tells me to click "Operate my XL" in TomTom home. However tomtom home tells me this is not supported for my device and/or operating system. I uninstalled TomTom Home and reinstalled it to no avail. Is this feature still not supported on a device I've had for 3 1/2 months? Seems odd to me that tech support is that poor so I'm assuming I'm not doing something right.

Third the maps are terribly in accurate and I will be led astray quite often and need to look at my paper maps (why have a GPS in the first place right?). Some examples are roads like Forest Lakes Dr in Elkton, MD. That entire neighborhood was no existent in my Tomtom I manually entered the street names (roads were there but unlabeled). In that neighorhood there is 2 exits/entrances but my Tomtom had an imaginary road that it would keep trying to lead me down (there was literally NOTHING there, trees and a house no roads).

Rocks Rd & Rocks Chrome Hill Rd in Forest Hill, MD has rail road tracks near it on my GPS. There USED to be a railroad through there. However the TRACKS were removed from the earth about 55 years ago. Unless you lived around here you would never know there was ever a train that went through there, even people that live there dont know. Yet its on my TomTom?

Those are two thing from TODAY. Its like this everyday. I dont know if I have the latest version of my maps area but it cant be 55+ years old right? hahah. When I first got my Tomtom I didnt realize I had a free update, and I went out of town for a 3 weeks. So when I tried to update it it said that my free update time had expired.

Regardless, its a gadget. With any gadget there are cool nifty little things people do to them. Maybe some 3rd party maps that are more accurate too my area? The reason I say area is because I think its just poor support for my direct area, because if I travel into Baltimore, MD (city) the map accuracy gets better.

I wont even get into this thing sending me down peoples driveways saying it connects on the other side. Almost got shot by a country bumpkin listening to this thing...

Any help is appreciated, thanks a bunch guys....

lol I am apparently going to keep bumping this....

I noticed I have USA/Canada map version 725.xxx

I looked and the new USA/Canada is 825.xxx.

How many times has this thing been updated? Is it worth dropping 70 bucks on (even though the device is brand new) for an updated map? Is there a way I can browse the new maps on my PC before purchasing them?

I just debating my options. I think I could sell this and get a Garmin with better maps and save myself a couple bucks. However if the maps have been "amazingly" updated I might stick with the Tomtom because I do like the functionality of the device....

Another quick question. I've downloaded an additional voice to my Tomtom, when I view show my contents that voice is there. However when I disconnect the device its not on the list of voices I have to choose from...Any idea?

Last edited:
The map is upgraded every 3 months. Tomtom uses Teleatlas which had pretty outdated USA maps a few years ago, but they are making dramatic improvements. The 725 maps are 6 months older than the 825 maps, but should have substantial improvements.

Go to map feedback on teleatlas.com, and you can see the latest Teleatlas maps. It is about 3-6 months earlier than tomtom maps. If you don't see a correction on the teleatlas.com site, it won't be on tomtom (99% of the time). If you see the correction, post it here and someone with a newer map can check.

If I were using my GPS for work purposes, I think it's worth the $$ to upgrade the map. More importantly I think it's worth the $$ to upgrade to a GO model as it saves time with MUCH better urban directions than anything else on the market, that should save you significant time and gas.

Tomtom ships the XL with app 8.014, which supports a traffic receiver. Operate my XL requires app 8.010, which doesn't support a traffic receiver. If you want the password functionality you'll have to downgrade.

See this link:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one/16241-no-security-code-function-125-right.html

MVL, the map you are seeing at Google is probably the most recent available, about 4 months newer than the Tomtom 8.25 release and likely the one that you'll see with the next map update. TA might have updated the map at their site over the weekend, but I haven't looked yet to see. If they did, it's probably the same one that Google put up about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help guys....Its good to know. The next time this thing really irritates me I'll go ahead and upgrade, try to get the most out of my money if you know what I mean.

MVL, thanks a lot. I'll check out that webpage once I remember some issues I had. Also you mention get a GO? What makes the GO maps better then the XL? Seems odd that the same company will offer GPS one with a not as good map system? Or maybe I'm just mis understanding you...

Thanks again guys...

Any ideas on the voice? I download a free voice and it downloaded, installed, says its on the XL in show content and even in the remove content buttons in home. Even in windows explorer I see it in the voices folder (data510, data510.chk, data510.tlv, data510.vif). This was downloaded from Tomtom Home so I would assume its compatible....

The Go models have larger storage (2 gigs for the 7x, 4 for the 9x models). The One models have, at most, 1 gig of storage.

So.........

More storage allows for more details on the larger maps that can be installed.

Mind you, recent map upgrades have been REMOVING details in order to add new major roads to the maps. Such details as rivers, topography, the actual curvature of some roads, minor roads, speed limits on some roads ... all this stuff has apparently been reduced in recent maps to still allow for the NA_2G map to actually fit into 2 gigs.

So if you were to download a smaller map, say just a portion of the USA. Would it be more detailed? Or is it more like "it COULD be" but its not?

Because I dont need Canada on here at all. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

mvl: I looked at the newest (I'm assuming) maps on teleatlas.com and there is no changes to a few errors I pulled off the top of my head . My parents 20+ year old neighborhood doesnt even exist and the road I live on isnt correctly labeled. Double whammy right? This thing hates me! hahah

How can a 5 year old ADC map be literally 100x more accurate on roads like this. Cant the teleatlas.com people just look at a (what I consider to be extremely accurate) ADC map?

My g/f uses an older (looks like a CRT tv instead of a LCD flat panel hahah) but somewhat updated Nuvi I think I'm going to try swapping her since I use mine more then she does. hahah should go over like a lead balloon....

Thanks anyway guys!!

Thanks for the help guys....Its good to know. The next time this thing really irritates me I'll go ahead and upgrade, try to get the most out of my money if you know what I mean.

MVL, thanks a lot. I'll check out that webpage once I remember some issues I had. Also you mention get a GO? What makes the GO maps better then the XL? Seems odd that the same company will offer GPS one with a not as good map system? Or maybe I'm just mis understanding you...

Thanks again guys...

Any ideas on the voice? I download a free voice and it downloaded, installed, says its on the XL in show content and even in the remove content buttons in home. Even in windows explorer I see it in the voices folder (data510, data510.chk, data510.tlv, data510.vif). This was downloaded from Tomtom Home so I would assume its compatible....

When you disconnect the device, and go to change voice, the unit should ask if you want to select from voices only in English US. Select no, and you should be able to find the voice you downloaded.

When you disconnect the device, and go to change voice, the unit should ask if you want to select from voices only in English US. Select no, and you should be able to find the voice you downloaded.

Mine says English UK (?) regardless I tried clicked No and Yes. I assumed it was No because Yes seemed like it was limit the parameters of the search.

lol I am apparently going to keep bumping this....

I noticed I have USA/Canada map version 725.xxx

I looked and the new USA/Canada is 825.xxx.

How many times has this thing been updated? Is it worth dropping 70 bucks on (even though the device is brand new) for an updated map? Is there a way I can browse the new maps on my PC before purchasing them?

I just debating my options. I think I could sell this and get a Garmin with better maps and save myself a couple bucks. However if the maps have been "amazingly" updated I might stick with the Tomtom because I do like the functionality of the device....

Another quick question. I've downloaded an additional voice to my Tomtom, when I view show my contents that voice is there. However when I disconnect the device its not on the list of voices I have to choose from...Any idea?

Hi, sorry for your apparant problems Maps 725 is really old and obsolete. We had the 810 the 815 and now the 825. Just let me tell you that under no cercumstance is any GPS units on other brands including Garmin better then tom tom. With the 8.25 you really have the latest as well as the MapShare add ons each day.I personally update each day the mapshare updates. When their are actual roads that are added, Map share can always add these correction because some changes cause changes a whole string of roads.. You must download the application also no I guess the 8.302. As told to you by other users you can go to teleatlas.com and see ifthe corrections are their. With the new 8.302 alot of mapshare corrections were also added to the maps and the maps at the end of may will include even more corrections Consummer electonic show always brag about the quality of the tom tom maps.. Remember with map share you can add streets with this feature But it will not show on your unit. When you connect it to the computer your corrected updates are sent to tom tom for verification. I have my mapshare correction set at maps seen by many. If you use this setting you might get updates a little faster. Never use corrections by a few. Before I stop I want to put a little scream to Gloria who is watching after all the tom tom users. I hope I gave you the correct information. and oh yes good luck. Ps I have a number of friends that have garmin. You can't believe how many times they rant and rave about their lousey map. By the way I had use of a Garmin for a short period of time and I knew some POI's that were teribly off in tom tom. Guess what garmins where off on these POI just as much if not worse.

Clear flash never worked for me either. When connected to your computer right click on the tom tom folder.to properties. Go to the tool tab. Then to correct to error correction. Put a check in both boxes and run the correction program.. See if this helps at all

Next level of tester

Atention Gloria.

I really want a title other then tom tom tester. How about SENIOR TOM TOM TESTER. I think this sounds better and I consider myself way above an average tester, basically someone on the next level. Just a thought Michael

Michael........

Hate to burst your bubble but there ain't no Gloria here ..........:eek:

This Forum is NOT, repeat NOT run by TomTom, the corporation. Nor is it influenced by TomTom, the corporation and definitely NOT controlled by TomTom, inc. If 'Gloria' does look in here, she does so as just another member like yourself.

And the titles you see for members are determined by the number of posts the member makes.

So if you were to download a smaller map, say just a portion of the USA. Would it be more detailed? Or is it more like "it COULD be" but its not?

Because I dont need Canada on here at all. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

mvl: I looked at the newest (I'm assuming) maps on teleatlas.com and there is no changes to a few errors I pulled off the top of my head . My parents 20+ year old neighborhood doesnt even exist and the road I live on isnt correctly labeled. Double whammy right? This thing hates me! hahah

How can a 5 year old ADC map be literally 100x more accurate on roads like this. Cant the teleatlas.com people just look at a (what I consider to be extremely accurate) ADC map?

My g/f uses an older (looks like a CRT tv instead of a LCD flat panel hahah) but somewhat updated Nuvi I think I'm going to try swapping her since I use mine more then she does. hahah should go over like a lead balloon....

Thanks anyway guys!!

I don't think the smaller regions would be more detailed. Tomtom has multiple 825 maps, the older device maps are larger than the newer device maps, so I suspect that there is some new type of high-power compression that the new devices are using.

The GO models have IQroutes, which is based on time-sensitive historical road speeds. When a GO model chooses directions, it uses this data to automatically avoid common sources of city congestion. It even chooses different directions in rush hour vs non-rush hour. This is much more accurate than speed-limit based directions of older models (or any model from non tomtoms).

Paper maps incorporate decades of map research (driving, surveying, etc). GPS maps started much more recently, so they'll sometimes be behind paper, especially in rural areas. Nuvi's use a map vendor that's been in the US for longer than the Tomtom vendor, so it similarly will be better in areas. The Tomtom vendor uses much better map acquisition technology (based on the millions of tomtom users reporting driving history to tomtom), and has closed the gap rather quickly. I suspect Tomtom to be better than paper and Garmin by the end of 2009.

Hey guys I appreciate the help, I really do. And I also know (assumed) there was no affiliation with TomTom so you guys are just helping out of the goodness of your hearts, or post counts and user titles...hahah

Anyway out of curiosity what map system does Garmin use? For my area my g/f's Garmin is just more accurate. Roads are labeled correctly and certain neighborhoods exist that just dont in mine (I frequent random neighborhoods since I use it for work).

And like I mentioned as for the device itself I like the TomTom, its sleeker and smaller with a bigger/as big screen. So I'm not knocking it.

I've been forced not to give up on it quite yet. This morning I switched my Tomtom and my g/f's Garmin and she called me after I left for work and said the Tomtom would not "aquire satellites". If I get lost its one thing, if she gets lost in the city at 2am (she is a nurse) its another. So I swapped them back, and it was weird it was just searching for satellites and not finding anything. Finally I thought to myself "If older models have a reset button and my doesnt how do you reset it?" So I held the power button down for 30 - 60 seconds and it reset and bam! it worked fine. That may have had something to do with the clear_flash prog I used (recommend by Tomtom for another problem).

Anyway, since I've gotten it working it hasnt given me the file access error. I understand that my maps arent up to date, but the new maps dont correct common errors YET so I'll hang tight and wait for future updates and I know where to check for future updates, teleatlas.com. Other then getting add-on voices to work which I gave up on and dont really care about anyway you guys helped me out quite a bit.

Thanks again!

Garmin's use the NavTek mapping system and, for certain areas of NA, have more accurate mapping while, in some areas, the TT's TeleAtlas maps are more precise. Tough to generalize.

Yes.....some models without reset holes do indeed require the holding of the power button for about 20 seconds as you've fouund. When you hear the drum sound, the unit has rebooted.

Garmin's use the NavTek mapping system and, for certain areas of NA, have more accurate mapping while, in some areas, the TT's TeleAtlas maps are more precise. Tough to generalize.

Yes.....some models without reset holes do indeed require the holding of the power button for about 20 seconds as you've fouund. When you hear the drum sound, the unit has rebooted.

Hey, thanks alot. That interesting. I must be in a NavTek area hahah...

Today I found, Pointe Way and Seneca Way in Havre de Grace, MD are reversed. An additional Seneca Way is on the map slightly north, this road does not exist.

Grand Oaks Ct in Abingdon, MD does not exist.

MacPhail Rd in Bel Air, MD is all screwed up it turns into Meadow Ridge Ct, where actually it continues on as MacPhail Rd and not into a dead end which by the way totally freaks the GPS out.

Rees Run Rd in Edgewood, MD is just weird. My GPS doesnt use any logic at all to get there and will turn a 5 minute drive into a 45 minute drive. I dont know what the deal is with that...

This was stuff from today. Its not every call I do but I'd say 25-35% of roads I need to goto are incorrect. Like today 100% of the addresses I went to I ran into problems that I described above. I know for a fact Garmin has all this stuff listed correctly because I just checked. Anyway I correctws the issues on my GPS (mapshare) and on teleatlas.com (errors still exist on there new map) in hopes someone will say "Our MD maps need some serious work!". Its really good at getting me into the correct city (within 20 miles of my destination) then its unlikely to use the fastest route, hit or miss about getting me to the correct road, and never to the correct house number...heheh

Oh well, I'm praying the next update will be the one that fixes this area up! :)

EDIT: Real quick, the map on teleatlas.com is the latest you'd ever find on a Tomtom map right? What I mean is the Tomtom map wouldnt have corrections teleatlas.com doesnt right?

Last edited:
Well I couldnt resist. I plugged my Tomtom in this afternoon and where it usually tells me mapshare information it said my map is out of date. So I clicked on it and there was a 12 month thing so I bought it. The price in the end was the same as the USA map but it was the USA and Canada for 1 year subscription...

Its downloading now. So even if this map doesnt fix my errors I'll have a couple more updates after it... :)

Ask a Question