some noob questions

I recently purchased my TomTom XL 325 SE GSP unit and I really like it. I'm learning more about it and having fun with it as it helps me. However, I would like some answers to some questions I have.

First of all,

I would like to know why my current up to date GPS unit cannot show a McDonald's as a restaurant or Walmart as a shopping center when I search it when we both have those in the current town I'm in. Also, I was a city the other day and I know they have an Olive Garden; however, this did not show up on restaurants. What's up with that???

2nd question

When I take my GPS unit out of my car and inside my house between the times I use it, it will die on me. I won't turn it on or anything but after sitting for a while, it will jus die and I will have to charge it up before I use it again. Why is this so??

I appreciate all your guys' help!

I'll take a crack at this.

Not all stores etc are in the POI that come with the unit. You can download many more through TomTom home.

So far my experience is that the batteries do not last bery long. Even though turned off, it left for an extended period, they will die. Recommend that you use the car charger so that you can operate it while charging.

r those downloads from TomTom home free??

As for the battery, that's what I have been doing. Thanks for replying so fast and please continue to help me find some answers everyone!

I for one know that my XL 325s will die after it sits for about a week. When its off its not really of more like in standby mode so yes the battery will die after it sits a while. as for free poi's im not sure. I do know that even though it might not show it when you do a search. If your out driving things like mickey d's will show up on mine.

Since the 325s is a pre-IQroutes model, I doubt it will work with the North America POI in the previous post's link. You'd have to download the individual additional POI via Tomtom home, and they're all free.

What version is your map? Most of the newer maps have the majority of restaurants in the US. The old 325S had a USA-only map with very limited POI, the new maps are much better.

Regarding your battery question, Tomtom's never shut off, they just go into a sleep mode that still uses some power. So they'll slowly drain battery just sitting on a shelf.

Also, the 325 model is on app 8.0xx. App 8.0xx has a bug where it will turn on exactly 1 week after you turn it off. Once it turns on, it drains the battery really quick.

Ohh and one thing that I learned, TomTom has "Walmart" listed as "Wal-mart"

When I first tried looking for a Walmart the first few times I was upset that an extremely popular shopping center isn't in the POI database. Wal-mart will come up for sure :)

Also, a shopping center is more of a mall type thingy with a collection of Stores. The "Shop" category will list individual stores like you want it to. You can find Walmart under the "shop" POI category instead of the Shopping center category. :)

Edit : I also did a "navigate to POI near me" and chose the "restaurants" category and McDonalds does come up on my list. I would have thought that the most popular chains would be included even in the lower end units. Perhaps your database is corrupt? I know for a fact that my ONE XL I used to own had both of these businesses listed, and that was LOTS of map versions ago.

Last edited:
well i'm gonna try and put that NA 835 POI someone suggested on my TomTom...I'll keep ya posted on how things go. thanks everyone!

Ohh and one thing that I learned, TomTom has "Walmart" listed as "Wal-mart"
Don't blame TomTom/Tele Atlas for that one when Walmart cannot make up their own mind.
Last year in Allbany at the Walmart Supercenter there were two trucks at the loading dock, one painted as Wal-mart, the other as Wal-Mart.

my version of the map right now is 835.2423. Do I need to update? If I do have to update, is it free or does it cost money? Thanks,

Btw, that poi was way big and I didn't want to screw up my device so I decided against trying to put it on...thanks for recommending me not to...that helped me decide what to do.

The 845 map is due within the next couple of days. If your map is less than 30 days old, you are entitled to the LMG if you've yet to update your map.

If your unit is over than 30 days old, then you'll have to pay for the 845 map.

is it worth it to pay for that update??? will I notice any changes?? Also, I seen some thread about free lifetime updates...does that apply to my model? and if so, how would I go about getting one.

As for the POI's I was downloading a bunch of them, but I was wondering if there was a place where i could download a category or a group of them. For example, is there a POI for all fast-food restaurants instead of one just for Wendy's???

thanks!

TomTom says there will be INCLUDED maps and INCLUDED traffic for new models released in Q2, 2010. Not clear whether that applies to existing models.

Included does NOT mean free. Such a package will be built into the cost of the original unit.

I'll take a crack at this.

Not all stores etc are in the POI that come with the unit. You can download many more through TomTom home.

So far my experience is that the batteries do not last bery long. Even though turned off, it left for an extended period, they will die. Recommend that you use the car charger so that you can operate it while charging.

Since the 325s is a pre-IQroutes model, I doubt it will work with the North America POI in the previous post's link. You'd have to download the individual additional POI via Tomtom home, and they're all free.

What version is your map? Most of the newer maps have the majority of restaurants in the US. The old 325S had a USA-only map with very limited POI, the new maps are much better.

Regarding your battery question, Tomtom's never shut off, they just go into a sleep mode that still uses some power. So they'll slowly drain battery just sitting on a shelf.

Also, the 325 model is on app 8.0xx. App 8.0xx has a bug where it will turn on exactly 1 week after you turn it off. Once it turns on, it drains the battery really quick.

wow I never knew that their was an actual ticking time bomb set to explode in one week. Learn something new each day, So you think the Taliban can set off a roadside bomb with this. uh oh I shouldn't have given them this idea. thanks for the info

Last edited:
wow I never knew that their was an actual ticking time bomb set to explode in one week. Learn something new each day, So you think the Taliban can set off a roadside bomb with this. uh oh I shouldn't have given them this idea. thanks for the info

See this thread. Seems like someone finally figured out the details of the "turning on" issue. It's been long since fixed (app 8.2 came out fall 2008), but for the models apparently left behind from a development perspective (ONE XL/ONE 3rd/125/130/325/330), seems like there's little hope of a fix.

so is the 835 map good enough for now? Would I really be adding a lot more if I update to 840, and if I wanted to how would I go about that?

Also, I still got a question about the POI's. Is there a group download or sumthin for fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc. or do I need to download them individually from the TomTom home website??/

Thanks

so is the 835 map good enough for now? Would I really be adding a lot more if I update to 840, and if I wanted to how would I go about that?

In my experience, I noticed about 50 errors in my city with map 835. About 15 of them were corrected in map 840. So there's an improvement.

You install maps one of two ways:
1) If you're within the first 30 days of purchase of your device, Tomtom HOME offers a "Latest map guarantee" which will give you the most updated map available for free. But you can only do it once. And map 845 is coming out before the end of this month. So I'd wait until day 28 or 29, to see if map 845 has come out so you get a newer map for free. To use it, choose Tools -> Latest Map Guarantee in Tomtom HOME
2) Otherwise you can buy new maps in Tomtom HOME, under the "Add maps" icon. Maps cost $70-$80.

Also, I still got a question about the POI's. Is there a group download or sumthin for fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc. or do I need to download them individually from the TomTom home website??/

Tomtom HOME has lots of preloaded POIs by category, but nothing consolidated. There are POI files on many 3rd party sites, as well.

The Tomtom 335S and 340S have much much better POIs than the 325S, so another thing you may want to consider is returning the 325S and a purchasing a higher end model.

Ask a Question