No way to simultaneously display both direction of travel and maximum speed since 9.4 update? (Pics)

Since updating my TomTom GO 740TM LIVE to 9.400 I've noticed that on the lower left hand section of the status bar there's now a big icon of a Speed Limit sign indicating the max speed limit as opposed to just numbers, i.e. if you were traveling 40 MPH in a 45 MPH zone it would just display "40/45MPH" before. I have no problem with the new design, but now it doesn't display the direction of travel anymore, i.e. "223° SW" and just has a tiny compass icon above the status bar instead, without any direction or degrees displayed. If I go to Status Bar Preferences and uncheck "Maximum speed" (leaving "Show compass" checked) then the degrees/direction will be displayed again, but with both of those two checked all I see is the tiny compass, even when the TomTom doesn't know the max speed limit for the road and the lower left panel is empty apart from the current speed.

Here's what I mean...

With Maximum speed unchecked and Show compass checked:
tomtom1.png

With both Maximum speed and Show compass checked (with no available max speed on this particular road):
tomtom2.png

Is there any way around this that will display both the max speed and the direction of travel simultaneously (without reverting to the older application)? I'd really like to be able to see both and not have to choose one over the other.

Nope.... TT love to make changes and never seem to find a way to do it that keeps everyone happy.

I think the option you want back isn't "compass" though, but "Direction".

If I've got it right, here's what you used to get and what you get now.

Go950 v9.061
EVERYTHING was an Option:

Left pane:
Current time
Speed
Max speed
Leeway
Direction (or "Heading")
(Only room for 4 of the above at once)

Compass (Tiny) - Above left pane

Right pane:
Arrival time
Remaining time
Remaining distance

Centre pane:
Lane guidance

Go950 v9.401

showing (always):
speed limit (left)
speed (left)
arrival time
remaining time
remaining distance

Options:
Max speed (Large roundel in/above left pane, unless other options set)
Current time (left pane) - If on, speed limit is small text
Remaining distance (right pane)
Leeway (appears in green/red in left pane) - If on, speed limit is small text
Show Compass (Tiny) - Above left pane
Show lane guidance

Thanks Andy for posting the chart of changes -- will save hair-pulling tme trying to figure out what happened to the heading readout (which I personally will miss, but will adapt).

I suspect they deemed it an expendible feature given the proliferation of compasses many (most?) drivers already have access to.

A recent update to my XXL550 also makes me choose between speed limit or direction of travel. This wouldn't be so bad, but I also don't even have the little arrow that lanimilbus's post shows.

I searched and searched all of the menus and couldn't find anything to show any sort of compass (with speed limit). :dizzy:

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this, or if there is an update in the works to do it? :confused:

All I can suggest is that you ring or email TomTom and tell them you don't like the changes.

Somewhere, somehow, they obviously managed to find a bunch of people who DID like the new changes and didn't care what they lost., and TomTom listened to those people.

Only by force of numbers complaining can we get them to change their minds.

Ask a Question