No voice promts @ complex interchange

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I live in the Rochester, NY area. People familiar with Rochester know the area I'm about to ask about at "the can of worms", where I-490 and I-590 come together.

Anyway, I'm driving on 590 South approaching the can of worms. I want to stay on 590S, which is the right two lanes. The left two lanes would allow me to pick up either 490E or 490W.

Because I wanted to stay on 590S and now switch to 490, the TomTom didn't give me any voice instructions as I approached and drove through the can of worms. This surprised me. I would have expected it to tell me to stay right as I approached the can of worms, but it said nothing.

Is this normal behavior? I'm familiar with the can of worms, so it was no big deal. But if I was in an unfamiliar area approaching a complex interchange, additional voice promting would be helpful.

Do other manufacturer's GPS units do this? How does the GPS decide when to provide a voice prompt and when it's not necessary?

Ask a Question