No voice instructions

Maybe you turned off the sound?

1693763057891.jpeg

Afraid not. I have spent 2 days trying to think what could be wrong. i've reset the voice download and sound off/on. I can't find a volume level control other than the relationship with other entertainment levels. Very close to giving up on it!,

@KeithW If the phone is connected to the car's head unit then please turn off the Bluetooth > Open the app's settings > Voices, on the next screen, you will see the volume slider, slide it towards the right to increase the volume.

Then decrease the volume of your phone by the side button > Tap Choose a Voice > Select the voice under which you can see 'computer voice', and at the same time, turn up the volume of the phone by the side buttons on the side of the phone. Try again and check how it works.

Can you go to Settings > Voices and try the volume slider? Or once there, tap Chose a voice, tap the voice and while the voice demo is playing press the phone's physical volume-up button?

Hi guys, just tried that again but still no sound from the app. I’ve always been able to hear the demo of Serena’s voice but I did play with the volume up/down buttons and it does control that slider level. Don’t need to have it connected to carplay. There’s no sound from the app just using the phone.

Hi

I don't know about iphone.
look in settings then > sounds and alerts if you have the option > audio output if yes select an audio channel (Ring channel)

The Audio output menu is Android only. For iOS I can only think of the following troubleshooting, in that order:
  • At the bottom left of the main menu, is the phone connected to an external speaker?
  • In Settings > Voices, drag the volume slider to the right.
  • In Settings > Voices > Choose a voice, tap the voice and while the demo is playing press the phone's physical volume-up button.
  • If voice instructions stop after an update to the app, uninstall and reinstall the app.

Hi

I don't know about iphone.
look in settings then > sounds and alerts if you have the option > audio output if yes select an audio channel (Ring channel)
My iphone has "Sounds and Haptics" and there is nothing in there that mentions audio output or channels.

The Audio output menu is Android only. For iOS I can only think of the following troubleshooting, in that order:
  • At the bottom left of the main menu, is the phone connected to an external speaker?
  • In Settings > Voices > Choose a voice, tap the voice and while the demo is playing press the phone's physical volume-up button.
  • If voice instructions stop after an update to the app, uninstall and reinstall the app.
I assume you are talking about the settings menu of the tomtom app? There is a symbol at the bottom left, which when pressed, says airplay, with a tick against a symbol labelled iphone. I haven't a clue what that means!! It doesn't change when I click on it so I just press the airplay symbol again and the display reverts to "normal". I have read somewhere that you can't use carplay when airplay is selected.

That setting should be fine, it's the same on my iPhone. If connected to a Bluetooth device it shows that device there. I didn't check what it shows when connected to CarPlay using USB. I only rent a car every now and then.

Well, what can I say! I thought I'd try it in my car this afternoon and 2 turns,3 streets into the drive it burst into life! I had bluetooth off and the USB lead plugged into the phone. (I haven't worked out how to do it wirelessly yet!). Coming home I switched the bluetooth on and it still worked. I need to try it out on the bike next as that will have to be wireless, as will the wife's car. Next decision is whether to fork out the £20 on Saturday.
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm not very good with all the modern techy stuff so all information is gratefully received.

I have the same problem. tom tom on iphone has no sound. Done everything, downloaded voices, turned off bluetooth, turned on alerts, turned up sound,

Just to add to the list of things I have done, I have deleted the app, stopped the subscription, and then installed it on my wife's iPhone, all the same, no sound.
The settings tell me that it is compatible with apple carplay(wow!!!) so I can listen with "surround sound"(wow again!!)
Give it up Tomtom, Just give us a functional app that has sound, before adding nonsensical bells and whistles such as "surround sound"

Hi guys, just tried that again but still no sound from the app. I’ve always been able to hear the demo of Serena’s voice but I did play with the volume up/down buttons and it does control that slider level. Don’t need to have it connected to carplay. There’s no sound from the app just using the phone.
same here

Deleting and reinstalling the app should really only be the very last option. I see few reviews in the App Store related to voice prompts stopping after an update to the app.

I started drafting an FAQ with the following steps:
  • At the bottom left of the main menu, tap the AirPlay icon to see which of the available audio devices is selected.
  • At the bottom right of the main menu, which of the three alert options is selected?
    • Alerts and guidance off
    • Alerts only
    • Alerts and guidance on
  • Close, re-open and re-plan the route.
  • In Settings > Voices > Choose a voice, tap the voice. While the demo is playing press the phone's physical volume-up button.

And:
  • In Apple CarPlay, check what sound icon is shown in top right corner. A cross indicates disabled sounds.
    To test voice prompts in CarPlay go to menu > volume for a voice demo which allows to adapt the volume.

Deleting and reinstalling the app should really only be the very last option. I see few reviews in the App Store related to voice prompts stopping after an update to the app.

I started drafting an FAQ with the following steps:
  • At the bottom left of the main menu, tap the AirPlay icon to see which of the available audio devices is selected.
  • At the bottom right of the main menu, which of the three alert options is selected?
    • Alerts and guidance off
    • Alerts only
    • Alerts and guidance on
  • Close, re-open and re-plan the route.
  • In Settings > Voices > Choose a voice, tap the voice. While the demo is playing press the phone's physical volume-up button.

reply to juergenams

I have done everything:
airplay - shows iphone
alerts and guidance on
re opened and planned route 10 times
settings voices, yes slider to right
voices - tested 3 different voices - they all work when i am testing them but not when i need instructions

thanks

Ask a Question