No voice instructions

I have solved the problem. My iPhone was connected to Bluetooth so the TomTom on the phone thought it was giving instruction to the car to come out of the car speakers but the car wasn’t receiving them. Switched Bluetooth off and all is well.
Brian, I'm having same problems with Android phone. If you've switched your Bluetooth off, does that stop you receiving phone call on the hands free?

Thanks Brian. I'll keep trying all the suggestions on here and if all else fails it may be time to treat myself to a new Tom Tom. Thanks again

So the downloaded voice options don’t work ?
To clarify Willy's post: There are two distinctly different kinds of voices available for TomTom devices.

One is a 'recorded' voice, which contains only basic instructions and uses very little space on the device. The second is a 'computer' voice that converts the textual data embedded in the map (like street names) and converts those to 'speech'. Those that are 10's of MB in size are the 'computer' voices. Both 'work' just fine, but differently. If you want street names and the like pronounced, then you need to be select the 'computer' voices. As Willy has suggested, Serena is such a voice with a UK accent. If you prefer an Australian accent :) you could go with Karen, or Samantha if you wanted to try a bit of U.S. style English.

However, it sounds as though you may have a different issue if Jane isn't saying anything at all.

I'm totally confused by this thread. It started with a volume problem using the app on iPhone, now we are talking Android. I have the app on my iPhone SE and it says nothing despite the sound turned on and the voice at maximum. I want to link the app to Apple Car Play, which it does but still with no sound. I also need to use my phone in the car to receive calls. I'm at a loss and terribly disappointed with the Tom-tom app.
@Chrisp I think I have a solution to your problem. I have a 14 Reg VW Golf that has Airplay but no Carplay, but I guess this method should work for Carplay too.You can hear the voice instructions of the Tomtom Go app using two options for sound source:

(1) iphone (Bluetooth disconnected) so you’ll hear the sound only on your iphone and not the car speaker. No hands free calls under this option.

(2) The second option uses Bluetooth and appears on my app as “VW Golf” under Airplay (or whatever name your car speaker is recognised by for Bluetooth purposes). When you select this option you can get Tomtom voice instructions on your car speaker provided you DO NOT HAVE YOUR RADIO ON. On my Golf, I press the “Media” button to the left of the screen. This overrides the Radio. Also, it is important to note that the volume when playing Radio is different from that for Media. So make sure, when you select Media, the volume is turned up sufficiently. You can also make or receive phone calls on the car speaker under this option.

If by chance, you select Radio during your journey, you’ll lose the sound but, no worries, just select Media again and it should work.

If you need to test these options without actually driving your car, just put the ignition on, set any route on your Tomtom Go and hit Drive; then press the menu button at bottom left (four dots in a circle) and select Current Route; scroll down to the bottom of the options displayed and select Play Route Preview. This will start a dummy run and you should be able to hear the voice instructions without actually driving off.

Hope this works.

I have same problem, so frustrating! Sometimes I have voice directions and sometimes nothing!
Yes, the playing of turn directions through bluetooth seems very "hit and miss" (from an iPhone)

There are two audio output channels that connect to my car system (music channel and voice call channel). It seems that I must use music channel but if either channel is not connected to the car then no turn directions are heard , although the route intro sometimes is heard.

Often, even when both channels are connected to the car system, the turn directions are missing and maybe restarting the car or restarting bluetooth may (or may not) work.

The bottom line for me (for iPhone anyway) is to just turn off bluetooth and listen through the phone speakers.
I think that it is more reliable from my android device but I'll have to recheck.

What really annoys me is that lane assist doesn't seem to apply to mobile phone tomtom apps. Lane assist is the only reason that I may use tomtom over (say) OsmAnd+. (since OsmAnd+ mapping is far more uptodate than TomTomGo)

Yes, the playing of turn directions through bluetooth seems very "hit and miss" (from an iPhone)

There are two audio output channels that connect to my car system (music channel and voice call channel). It seems that I must use music channel but if either channel is not connected to the car then no turn directions are heard , although the route intro sometimes is heard.

Often, even when both channels are connected to the car system, the turn directions are missing and maybe restarting the car or restarting bluetooth may (or may not) work.

The bottom line for me (for iPhone anyway) is to just turn off bluetooth and listen through the phone speakers.
I think that it is more reliable from my android device but I'll have to recheck.

What really annoys me is that lane assist doesn't seem to apply to mobile phone tomtom apps. Lane assist is the only reason that I may use tomtom over (say) OsmAnd+. (since OsmAnd+ mapping is far more uptodate than TomTomGo)
Hi,
When you say ‘lane assist’, do you mean where the stand alone TomTom shows you which lane you should be in for the correct direction near a junction?
If so, that’s what I’m hoping the app will do otherwise I will stick with my stand alone tomtom and cancel future subscriptions. I too have never been able to get voice instructions from the app thru the car speakers and only occasionally through the phone speaker, presumably with Bluetooth turned off which is not suitable for me as I do wish to receive urgent calls and also play music from my phone on the car speakers without having to plug the phone in every time I get in the car (can be many times a day and then I forget to take my phone with me when I leave the car 🙄). The only reason I use Apple CarPlay is for google maps but that doesn’t have speed cameras hence wanting tomtom.

I had the same issue with my Android auto car system. Recently, I resolved it by choosing different sound outputs in the TomTom Go app. First choose "setting", then "sounds and warnings", third "audio output", fourth just try different output channels to see which one works for your car. Mine is the music channel. Hope it will work.

Attachments

• 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3..jpg
    3..jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4..jpg
    4..jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 23
These settings are only in the Android app. The iOS app shows at the bottom of the main menu screen which audio output it's using. In this screenshot my iPhone is connected to headphones.

Audio.jpg

Having had more experience since my post below, I found that the issue is with the car rather than the app. I was using a hirecar (crappy MG FS with awful interface where nearly all controls are on screen in menus and not simple external hardware buttons) and I was not as familiar. Intended to do the same and turn Bluetooth off.
I noticed that on major junctions with multiple lanes, the app would show then ok so I’ll be keeping it and shelving my old stand alone tomtom.
I found also I needed google maps to assist for the satellite image re identifying buildings and more accurate destinations. Also the search in google maps is more successful so I need both at times.

My TomTom Go at iPhone refused to speak up - initially I believed it was silent, but eventually I discovered it was super super silent, less than a whisper.
iPhone not muted, volume up, no bluetooth...
And then I went to voices, and discovered that within the voices menu, I could also cha ge the volume by the regular iPhone controls. Very counterintuitive, but my voice is now back.

My TomTom Go at iPhone refused to speak up - initially I believed it was silent, but eventually I discovered it was super super silent, less than a whisper.
iPhone not muted, volume up, no bluetooth...
And then I went to voices, and discovered that within the voices menu, I could also cha ge the volume by the regular iPhone controls. Very counterintuitive, but my voice is now back.
To restore audio control via the iPhone volume buttons, from the 'Home screen' select Menu>Settings>Voices. Then: 1) Set the 'Voice volume' slider to [100%] and 2) Scroll down to 'Entertainment audio' and select [Mix with entertainment audio]. Should solve the problem. You can use the 'Play Route Preview' selection under the Current Route menu to test the result. Good luck!

Thanks for that however if the music is banging then you may not hear the voice instructions, so I prefer”Pause spoken audio and lower other entertainment audio”

Thanks for that however if the music is banging then you may not hear the voice instructions, so I prefer”Pause spoken audio and lower other entertainment audio”
Yeah, this is just an imperfect work-around awaiting a 'real' fix from Tomtom.

I have the same problem, in that the TT go app has no sound on my iphone 11. It is being used with a carplay device on my bike. It was working until I stopped for fuel. Switched it all off via the ignition, fuelled,went in to pay and back on the bike. Switched on and everything worked except there was no route instructions on the helmet speakers. On investigation it appears to be the app itself. I have several nav apps on the phone as I am trying to work out which is best. I prefer downloaded apps which is why I am trying TT Go. All the others work fine, either with the carplay or just from the phone. I am familiar with TomTom as I also have a Tomtom rider 550, but it is unreliable. It seems their software is the same. I have been using Amigo and that works fine. I thought that had downloaded maps but I now know they are online. If anyone has a definitve answer to this problem I would be glad to hear it. Fortunately I was on a 7 day trial so I haven't lost money on it.

Ask a Question