Change of direction voice instructions...sometimes odd

TomTom Model(s)
1005 World Live v2
Mostly this annoys me when a "bear left" is instructed as a "turn left", and sometimes the other way round.

Also, I would like to have an instruction to prepare to "give way" or to "stop". I know I have eyes and ears but occasionally in unfamiliar surroundings it might be useful.

Am I expecting too much?

Mostly this annoys me when a "bear left" is instructed as a "turn left", and sometimes the other way round.
Particularly when it says 'left turn ahead' when the road only veers to the left.
TomTom is aware of the displeasure of users.

I would like to have an instruction to prepare to "give way" or to "stop".
TomTom has problems to keep up in a timely manner with new or changed roads. I would not expect to see/hear regulatory road signs. If it would announce traffic lights ahead, in some downtown areas it would never stop talking.
Even the first of your points may require an amount of extra man hours, the cost of which may not necessarily born by additional sales.

Much seems to do with the angle of the divergence from the current straight-line path according to the map data. Beyond a certain angle, a "bear" becomes a "turn". Neither seem to be in any way impacted by any required 'stop' or 'yield' situation that may exist. I also suspect that "Main Road Rule" (see rallye rules, anywhere) may occasionally be at play when it comes to 'bear' instructions, but I can't prove it one way or the other.

I think canderson has it right when he says the choice of "bear left" or "turn left" is all down to the angles that the roads meet at, nothing to do with any priority or right of way in real life.

As you say, it can be quite scary when the TomTom seems to imply that you can just go straight through a junction, when in fact you have to stop or give way/yield.

I would like it to give some sort of indication in those circumstances (maybe something similar to the instructions for roundabouts) but I don't think it will ever happen.

Ask a Question