No traffic service?

I just purchased two TomTom ONE's from CircuitCity in Santa Monica.
One unit has one always on pixel, and is going back for an exchange on Monday.
The other unit is fine, and worked out of the box.

I am a long time TomTom GO classic owner, and the new satellite chip in the ONE is amazing. My classic often took minutes to sync, the ONE synced in seconds.

My real question; the advertising on CircuitCity's website and the ONE packaging says traffic service via TomTom PLUS subscription is available, yet the TomTom HOME application software and the TomTom website says no traffic service in the USA.

Can anybody explain?

Regards
Pieter

I noticed this same thing and have been discussing it in THIS THREAD with others here at the TomTomForums.

We've come to no real conclusions -- at least I haven't. I still can't tell if it's available only through TomTom Plus (and therefore a Bluetooth phone) or if it's not available at all, whether through TomTom Home, TomTom Plus, etc.

Hi Internetpilot,

It is available, but currently only via PLUS. You need a Bluetooth-enabled phone which has data connectivity (GPRS, EDGE, 3G, etc). Traffic is currently free for those of you in the US! Lucky people!

There is no traffic subscription available for US yet, but there is traffic service.

I just purchased two TomTom ONE's from CircuitCity in Santa Monica.
One unit has one always on pixel, and is going back for an exchange on Monday.
The other unit is fine, and worked out of the box.

I am a long time TomTom GO classic owner, and the new satellite chip in the ONE is amazing. My classic often took minutes to sync, the ONE synced in seconds.

My real question; the advertising on CircuitCity's website and the ONE packaging says traffic service via TomTom PLUS subscription is available, yet the TomTom HOME application software and the TomTom website says no traffic service in the USA.

Can anybody explain?

Regards
Pieter
Update:
After pairing the ONE with my bluetooth phone, and clicking the traffic service on the ONE screen, the ONE activated the service via the phone.
Neither the HOME software nor the TomTom website makes this obvious, but anyways, it is activated.

Now I have to wait to see how the service works, it didn't seem to help by sending me on the very busy freeway, but then LA is always busy.
Does anybody know exactly how the traffic service works, or when the ONE will decide to use surface streets instead of freeways?

Soon, I'm going to try out to see if my Traffic works on my unit. Hopefully it does because its free for the US.

Here's how...

You need to activate your trial under Plus services in your profile. It's free through the end of the year. No idea what'll cost after that.
It works great when you have your TT connected to your computer and your computer's online... no need for bluetooth. You can get the latest traffic updates, then plan your route.
If you want traffic updates while en route, you will need the bluetooth connection...

Under Activate your trial it says:

Traffic information - FREE month Trial
Activate your free trial now, directly on your TomTom.

GO ? RIDER ? ONE

1. Switch on your TomTom. In the main menu, tap
'TomTom Traffic'.
2. First you must establish a connection with your mobile phone and a wireless data connection if you have not already.
Tap 'YES' and follow the instructions.
3. You are now registered for one month free Traffic. Tap Continue. Enjoy!

Looks like a bloothtooth connection has to be made through the tomtom and phone to activate it!

Today i just got an email congratuating me on activating the TomTom/T-Mobile promotion which allows me to use TomTom Traffic for the Netherlands for 1 year for free!
FIrst, I wasn't sure how to activate it (see previous post).
Second, why did it pick the Netherlands? NO!!!!!

It gives me a link to show me how to setup traffic, but it's in Dutch!

Anybody know how to change the country on Traffic?

Sorry for the thread jack but if you guys don't mind saying, what cell phone model and service provider are you guys using to connect to the TT1. Also, did you need to order a separate data plan or will the basic internet plan options on the phone cover it. Thanks for the info. You can PM me as to not pollute this thread further.

Im using cingular motorola Razr v3. I don't have their internet plan that they offer, but I still can download traffic updates.
what do u have?

Im using cingular motorola Razr v3. I don't have their internet plan that they offer, but I still can download traffic updates.
what do u have?

Oh, I have sprint (samsung sph-a900). which I know won't work. I'm thinking about getting the motorola pebl (quad band phone) from t-mobile to use with the tomtom and take overseas with me when i travel, i'm just not sure if it will work. I don't want to get locked into a new contract only to find out that it won't do what I want it to do :)

It seems there may be hope for us sprint users after all... I think there is a new page up with info on the traffic services (at least I don't remember seeing it before) here: http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=rds-tmc&Lid=4

as you can see it says under equipment required:
tomtom said:
A mobile phone with Bluetooth and a wireless data connection, such as GPRS, UMTS or CDMA, enable you to use PLUS Traffic information on any TomTom device.

CDMA is what sprint uses! I have done some experimenting and this is as far as I've gotten when I go to connect to plus services:
I enter manual setup...

Access point name: <blank>
Username: <sprintvisionusername>@sprintpcs.com
Password: <sprintvision password>
Select Automatic IP address
Select Automatic DNS
Dial: *99#
Login script: <blank>

When I click done, the TT connects to my phone, there is a message on my phone that says "Connected as Data Modem". It then connects with the timer running. at about 2 seconds, it disconnects. I assume this is because I don't have the sprint data service (that is separate from the regular vision service). The data service is what you use when you want to connect your laptop to your phone and access the internet. I'm going to call sprint tomorrow and see what the details are for getting data service on my phone. I'll keep you guys updated. There is also a thread here on sprintusers.com that I am following:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84287

Update: I was able to successfully get my Sprint Samsung A900 phone to connect to the TT Plus service. At least I was able to log in and enter my TT username and password. I haven't tried downloading any traffic as I have not yet started my trial, I'm going on a trip at the end of November and wanted to wait until then. I believe you do need to get the $40/month data service though (Sprint calls it "Phone-as-modem").

The trial for TT Plus ends December 31, 2006.

That's good news, is this good for the TT ONE as well? I was just going by what the TT web site describes:

tomtom_website said:
GO ? RIDER ? ONE

1. Switch on your TomTom. In the main menu, tap
'TomTom Traffic'.
2. First you must establish a connection with your mobile phone and a wireless data connection if you have not already.
Tap 'YES' and follow the instructions.
3. You are now registered for one month free Traffic. Tap Continue. Enjoy!

Well, I successfully ran my TT1-Sprint-A900 test on the road this weekend. Worked great, althogh there wasn't much traffic for it to report. Next time I'll have to try it during morning rush hour.

:D
Oh, I have sprint (samsung sph-a900). which I know won't work. I'm thinking about getting the motorola pebl (quad band phone) from t-mobile to use with the tomtom and take overseas with me when i travel, i'm just not sure if it will work. I don't want to get locked into a new contract only to find out that it won't do what I want it to do :)

:D You are wrong. the A900 and the A920 both work if you set it manually.:D

This is for all U.S. users.

Do you know if the bluetooth "trial" is only for one month, end of year, or until TT gets its act together with respect to the traffic receiver? I have been using the on-line traffic service for a number of months. Also, there is no place on their website to order the traffic service in the US anyway.

Given the early, misleading marketing of the receiver in the US this spring, it would be very reasonable to expect them to continue this service (bluetotth wireless access) until they get the receiver released.

Ask a Question