Traffic service needed before connecting?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Do I need to sign up first for TT services before attempting to connect my phone to the 730?

I have an AT&T Bold 9000. The 730 sees the Bold, as evidenced by the message "Blackberry 9000" whenever I pair it via bluetooth. I have all the functions available, such as address book copying, place and receive calls.

However, I can't make the 730 use my Bold data services.

From the list of phones and carriers listed in the 730, I have AT&T, Cingular and Cingular Media Works. None of them list the Bold 9000 as compatible.

Yes I know, compatibility is the key word here, but then, what is the compatibility issue here?

The 730 requires APN, username, password, DNS, etc., and these requirements are the same for each model of phones from the approved list.

So, what's keeping the Bold from sharing it's data services to the 730?
Do I have to sign up first with TT Traffic before attempting to make the data services connection?

BTW, I do have a data plan already enabled on the Bold. Searching for a solution for this problem (data services connection to 730 with my Bold) was how I was able to tether my Bold to my MacBook, even when the schmuck tech at AT&T said that they didn't support it.

Do I need to sign up first for TT services before attempting to connect my phone to the 730?
Can't help with your Bold specifically, but you can and should make a data connection to the TT system before purchasing the traffic service. Try using it to connect to weather -- that's a free data service from TT, and is a handy way to test data service function. Once that's in place, you'll know that you've got a chance to make it all work, and THEN you can subscribe to the traffic.

So no, I wouldn't even think of subscribing until you can demonstrate connection on a free service like weather or GPSQuickFix (another thing you can do "over the air").

canderson is correct there.

I have T-Mobile though and have never been able to successfully pair my Curve or my Pearl with any TomTom Data Services. Not even weather. I've only been able to use hands free phone. My problem though might be that I've heard that T-Mobile doesn't support tethering, even though I have the unlimited Blackberry plan. :mad:

If they are going to charge us for unlimited data services, and as much as we pay, they should at least let us tether! I'm not sure what's going on in your case since you mentioned you have tethered before. I'd call AT&T and just confirm that you can, in fact tether.

I have T-Mobile though and have never been able to successfully pair my Curve or my Pearl with any TomTom Data Services. Not even weather. I've only been able to use hands free phone. My problem though might be that I've heard that T-Mobile doesn't support tethering, even though I have the unlimited Blackberry plan. :mad:

If they are going to charge us for unlimited data services, and as much as we pay, they should at least let us tether! I'm not sure what's going on in your case since you mentioned you have tethered before. I'd call AT&T and just confirm that you can, in fact tether.
Unless you explicitly request and pay for tethered services, most providers don't give it to you, even on an "unlimited" data plan. The amount of data you would normally suck down over a phone is considerably less than the damage you could do with a notebook, and they know this. That's why tethered service comes at an additional price for most of the carriers. All of our corporate Blackberry units had to be enabled separately for this service. I doubt that T-Mobile is any different in this regard.

canderson, I can't even get weather, is not greyed out as an option, but when I attempt to use it, the 730 returns me to the screen that asks to enable the wireless data services:(

This is very frustrating because the 730 itself does show that all services in my phone are available, including wireless data. But apparently TT doesn't have their "caca" together and says the phone is compatible with their 730, on their phone compatibility page.

I just submitted a support request and am gonna sit back now and see how the hell they can answer this. Hope I can get either an answer, or at least, a knowledgeable and courteous tech rep.:cool:

As the others have mentioned, the Plus traffic services will require tethering, which is another $10 a month over and above my unlimited plan thru Alltel for my BB. It gets expensive.

Hi gcopter

TT phone compatibility web site list the Bold 9000 for use with the TT 730 for data services. I had the same problem with my TT 730 using AT& T with my Motorola Razr V3 until I connected using the AT&T carrier option " Cingular Media Works" . Try this option to see if you can establish the TT Data Service connection. If you can, try the free weather as suggested . If you can get this service , traffic should work after you subscribe. Here is the TT link for compatible phones for the TT 730.
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

Gary

I have A BB Pearl 8120 on TMO with unlimited plan, and have set it up with data at least a half-dozen times. TT Plus services servers are down A LOT, so it might have been down when you last tried.

TMO supports tethering except for the newer 3G devices, to which they have slammed the door. I had some problems when I had app 8.35 on my 920 getting it set up (but it again might have been their server), but for this an other reasons, I went back to 8.302.

On TMo with a BB, you have to use manual settings. The only thing that is changed from the default settings is the APN. For some reason with the BB, you have to use wap.voicestream.com. With my old Nokia 8133, the default internet2.voicestream com worked OK. I also set up the same APN in the BB - advanced settings/TCP menu. I am not sure if it is necessary - but no harm in doing that also.

I use tethering extensively as a modem for may laptop, and I use Plus Services traffic a lot (when the &*^%$^& TMo servers are not down), so give it another try - it definitely works with TMO BB and Pearls (8xxx).

As for the others - go to the thread on compatible phones, as it will give settings for each carrier. Many more devices work that listed by TT. Just pick a device that is close, and if it does not set itself up OK, then when it offers the option of manual settings - say yes and modify the default settings like in the above example. But you need to get the settings for your carrier first..

Talk about timing. This was written on pocketgps this morning by a memeber who was having the same issues with his Bold. TomTom's response is the "quote" part.

Quote:

"Response (Mi** *****) 08/06/2009 01.32 PM
Dear Mr J******,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 0904**-******.

We do not know why the phone is not working and will most likely will have to amend the compatibility list to reflect the issues.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team"

The above is a reply I received today from TomTom in response to weeks of exchanged messages and possible fixes to get my Traffic data services to work once again with my Blackberry Bold or Nokia N73 (both listed on phone compatibility chart on TomTom website as supporting data services).

Both phones ceased working with data services after I updated to Navcore 8.35 on my 920 device.

So have TomTom found solution to all their problems, it was so easy - just downgrade the specifications and the problem is instantly solved.

We can all relax secure in knowledge TomTom have the customers best interest at heart.

Hi gcopter

TT phone compatibility web site list the Bold 9000 for use with the TT 730 for data services. I had the same problem with my TT 730 using AT& T with my Motorola Razr V3 until I connected using the AT&T carrier option " Cingular Media Works" . Try this option to see if you can establish the TT Data Service connection. If you can, try the free weather as suggested . If you can get this service , traffic should work after you subscribe. Here is the TT link for compatible phones for the TT 730.
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

Gary

What setting did you used for AT&T in your Razr? I've tried all the Blackberries on each carrier, but with so many settings it's a PITA. I've already sent TT a support request, but I'm not holding my breath, though. I think I'm gonna end up with the same response another poster got;

"We do not know why the phone is not working and will most likely will have to amend the compatibility list to reflect the issues."

I'm still within 30 days of purchase and might consider the 740 which has built in traffic.

Hi gcopter
In the list of carriers, I selected "Cingular Media (net) " as the option and my Razr was configured automatically for data services. I did not configure manually. Before I got this work , I was also told by TT support that my Razr v3 wasn't compatible...but it was!!!

Understand that 'Not compatible' does NOT necessarily equate to 'Will not work'. Just means that TT has not officially tested that model phone with the device.

gcopter, you may want to try downgrading tomtom software. Bluetooth code was rewritten in app 8.35x, some phones worked better and some worked worse. Particularly, Nokias and Blackberries seemed to fare worse in 8.35x. See here for what you might gain/lose in the downgrade.

To downgrade, in HOME, go to remove items, then click the device tab, then remove the applicaiton.

Then download this file and extract it with winrar onto the tomtom drive, overwriting files if asked.

Understand that 'Not compatible' does NOT necessarily equate to 'Will not work'. Just means that TT has not officially tested that model phone with the device.

Well, I wished there were no misunderstandings. To me compatibility means it will work, no if's or but's. Especially in regards to testing. That's the first thing they need to get out of the way before marketing anything as compatible.

Now that being said, TT e-mailed me a reply (read; apology) as to why my Bold is not compatible, even though their compatibility chart says it is.

Here is what they said;

"Thank you for contacting TomTom. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us in regard to the compatibility of your Blackberry. We are happy to help.

We do need to inform you that your cell phone is not 100% compatible with our units. We strive to make our products compatible with as many devices and platforms as possible. However, connectivity protocols are dictated by the technology markets and service provider's firmware, not by TomTom. Because of this, we are at the mercy of the fact that there is not a standard set of connectivity protocols that covers all platforms and devices. We do understand your frustration, and we apologize for any inconvenience, that this has caused.

In regard to the Blackberry in particular, the phone is specifically designed not to share it's wi-fi with other devices, including ours. Please remember that Blackberry was first designed for businesses and its associates to safely share documents and other programs safely, with out the risk of getting hacked. This is one reason why the phone itself is not designed to share its contents.

It is quite possible that the phone you do have will work, but it will be only for the hands free calling feature only. We do apologize for this inconvenience.

Hmm, let's see.

1."We do need to inform you that your cell phone is not 100% compatible with our units."
(But, I thought you did! Why, it says so in your nifty compatibility chart!)

2."In regard to the Blackberry in particular, the phone is specifically designed not to share it's wi-fi with other devices, including ours. "

( I really hope this was a typo or otherwise an attempt for a real reply. Wi-Fi sharing?, you mean, data sharing via bluetooth right?

Arrrgh, end of rant.

gcopter, you may want to try downgrading tomtom software. Bluetooth code was rewritten in app 8.35x, some phones worked better and some worked worse. Particularly, Nokias and Blackberries seemed to fare worse in 8.35x. See here for what you might gain/lose in the downgrade.

To downgrade, in HOME, go to remove items, then click the device tab, then remove the applicaiton.

Then download this file and extract it with winrar onto the tomtom drive, overwriting files if asked.

MVL, when you say above to extract with winrar, can I extract the files on my desktop (in Mac) and just then drag and drop on the TT disk image?

Will I loose any POI's, maps, etc..?

First make sure you do a full backup of the tomtom drive in finder.

Then, yes, extracting to your desktop first and drag/dropping works.

You could also drag/drop onto a blank SD card and pop the SD in to test, if you don't want to touch the tomtom internal drive (eg skip the step in my prior post that removes the app). If tomtom sees an application on internal memory and SD, it'll choose the SD to boot from. If you want to revert to app 8.351 just pull the SD out.

If you removed your app and/or didn't use the SD and want to reupgrade to 8.351, just ask home to upgrade the tomtom.

Application changes don't affects maps, POIs, etc. There was a change in the favorites logic between pre-and post-application 7.9 that caused favorites to go away, but there is no favorites issue between app 8.302 and app 8.351.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining the procedure. I was able to obtain the file as a .cab. I then proceeded to remove 8.351 using TT Home. Then I dragged and dropped the cab file onto the 730 desk image on my desktop. Then, while the 730 was still docked to the Mac, attempted to use it with TT Home, but no joy. It said that I needed an application in order to do this. I guess I should have tried undocking and re starting the 730 before it would work, right?

Yes, you will need to turn on the device and do the initial setup and stuff. The OS will create the necessary files so the device can be recognized correctly.

Once again - I rolled back to 8.302 - connection and Traffic work fine.

Unless locked out by your cell carrier, most phone with data capabilities (that can be tethered) will work with TomTom's (depending on TT app version).

Note - especially on stuff like this - DO NOT EMAIL TT SUPPORT - CALL!

Ask a Question