Question about Live Traffic Services

Folks, I bought my TT xl340s Live last year...and although I am from Canada...used it in the US when I went to Texas for a month. It came with three months of live traffic services. I used it and liked it and especially liked the feature where I could use google to find addresses and points of interest and then basically say Take me there. It came in really handy a few times when the poi's did not have what I was looking for.

Many of the new TT's have lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic services which mine does not. I have to subscribe.

Do these new units with lifetime traffic have the ability to search Google as mine does with the subscription?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lifetime maps and traffic are NOT related to Live services. The Lifetime traffic is via rds-tmc antenna and is not as accurate as LIVE traffic.

Which is all academic since there are NO models with LIVE services in Canada, anyway . :(

Thanks alot dhn...that clarifies things for me. This year when I go to Texas again in March for a month, I will get the LIVE services again...as I like it...will cost me $9.95 plus an extra month you have to give them to cancel. For me the $20 is worth it.

Just make sure they still offer Live services by the month in the States. They stopped monthly subscriptions in Europe.

Later............

Appears as if still offered:

Included with the purchase of your device, you receive 3 months of free LIVE Services. After this period, you may renew your subscription. The renewal price is $9.95 per month.

Last edited:
I used "live" traffic services on my android device. They had a promo on a US/Canada GPS app (CoPIilot) for $4.95 initially. It does not have the overall GPS address accuracy of TomTOM, BUT - it has a life traffic service that works pretty good and covers many roads besides the freeways and interstates.

It had a 14 day trial period, and I was so impressed (it gave good alternate routings around a 40+ minute backup on I80 coming down from Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago), that I am getting the annual subscription - $9.95 per YEAR!

The PDA's are getting bigger screens, better hardware, and more features at lower prices. All this will eventually overwhelm the "roadway" GPS stand-alone companies like TomTom (Garmin does a lot of marine and other non-highway guidance).

That is why I chose to only invest in a battery for my 720 and use it in conjunction with the above. I am very unsure of just how ling "lifetime" subscriptions will actually last...

Sounds pretty good! only trouble for me is...that it requires a mobile internet connection. When I go to the US from Canada it is cost prohibitive to have mobile internet, for 3 days travel to Texas and 3 days back.

I already have internet at my mobile home with Time Warner.

Ask a Question