No Spoken Voice Option

Yes on both.. The unit works, and seemingly fairly well, but the functions are not. This is what the last update gave me!!

ID=North_America_2GB.pna
build=1481
id=90268

I have another question not related to the VR also... Maybe I should start another thread on that one. It is on "Does the TT 720 have Tracking"

That version of the map (705) does NOT have the speech files. You need a minimum of 710. Call Support at the number I provided. Explain how and why your backup got wiped out. Be pleasant but firm to request a (free) higher level map., 2nd level if necessary.

And, no....TomToms can't track.

I will give it a shot, and yes on the pleasantness I have found that a little sugar goes a long way.

Will advise!!

dhn

God Bless You

You've got the patience, of a Saint !!!

Few woulda stuck it out like ya did. Most commendable of you.

Thanks for the kind words, Chilly.

I try my best to help when I can. Sometimes, I'm successful, sometimes, not.

What is MORE important is how pleased I am to see how everybody here is more than willing to jump in and help everyone who needs assistance.

That's what makes this forum as good as it is..........

Hello again,
I appreciate that you and apparently Chilly Cat are a little frustrated of my post, but not all of us are as advanced in computers as others. I thought that is why this post is here, to help. So if you don't mind, can I try again??? There seems to be some miscommunication so I would like to highlight what I think would help me understand better.

It's NOT in Windows Explorer. Explorer is just an application that shows what files and folders reside on your hard drive and other storage areas (like a connected TomTom unit. If Explorer is showing the file in the \asr folder, then I'm presuming the \asr folder is on the TomTom unit. I'm not sure what your difference between Windows Explorer and Explorer is. This is my path...start, all programs, accessories, windows explorer, local disc C, TomTom, ASR. Okay, now in there, there is a list of dat files. One of them is support_asr. dat. BECAUSE you told me to RENAME it and PUT it there. Even though you told me to rename it DAT, it is still a Microsoft Word Document. So, in my mind that isn't correct, am I wrong? So your presumption that the asr folder is on my TomTom UNIT is incorrect, which is why I asked you a few posts ago, hot to get it FROM my computer TO the TomTom unit.

When you use Explorer, I'm assuming Explorer shows a c:\drive and a bunch of folders and files. Do you see a listing for a drive that is called TomTom or shows the TT hands logo? If so, click on that. That's the unit we're talking about. Do you see a asr folder in it? Do you see the file support_asr.dat in the asr folder? (explained above).

If the answer has been 'yes' all along, then try doing a pin reset for 5 seconds. The reset hole is on the bottom of the unit AND is marked 'reset'. I know how to do a reset and like I said earlier, it didn't workThen try turning on the unit and seeing if the Voice icons are there. (You DO know what icons I'm referring to, right?)
Do you know what icons I'm referring to? When I want to navigate to somewhere I was able to speak the city, street and house number. The icons had lips and a graph.

Last edited:
Nope.....only frustration is towards MYSELF in that I'm not able to make myself clear in what I'm asking or trying to explain.

As far as the file I attached being a Word document. It isn't. Let me explain. The software for this Board allows attachments of various types including certain types of graphic files and Word documents. It detects what type of file is being attached by the extension of the file name like .jpg or .bmp or, in the case of a Word document, .doc.

Well, the software does NOT allow files with an extension of .dat; yet, that truly is the extension of the file I wanted to upload. So, I was left with having to rename the extension of the file to something that the Board software would accept. I could have just as easily named it support_ast.bmp or support_asr.jpg just to get the file attached to that post where it is located.

But I chose .doc. So, Windows "thinks" the file I uploaded was a Word document because it associates .doc with Word files.

That's why I said to rename the file to support_asr.dat from support_asr.doc. So, the bottom line as far as the file is concerned is that it is NOT a Word document, it never was.

As far as the icons being referred to, we're talking about those shown here on the bottom row, right side:

VR.jpg

Are you saying these are not being shown on your unit? In other words, they are NOT greyed out, they are gone??

If gone, what's on the screen, nothing at all?

Or are you saying that the icons shown above are there but when you select spoken address (dialog) that the next screen doesn't appear?

In any event, let's try again........

Connect your unit to the computer. Do NOT start Home. Start Explorer (I mean Windows Explorer, same thing .... I don't mean Internet Explorer).

ok......now, click on My Computer to expand that listing. You should see a listing showing TomTom with the little hands logo beside it and a letter in brackets after it (mine shows H: but yours is probably different)

Now, highlight the TomTom listing to expand it.

On the right screen, you should see a bunch of folders and a bunch of loose files.

Like this: (IGNORE REFERENCE TO DELETE FILES!!!)

loose_files.jpg

Do you see the folder 'asr'. Double click it to expand it. You'll see a whole bunch of files. One of them should be support_asr.dat. If it is not there, then copy the renamed file I supplied to that folder.

Now, turn off your unit while it is still docked. Shut down Explorer. Remove your unit from the dock and power up. Is VR back?

Report back.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm on my way out the door right now to go to work. I probably won't get to this until after dinner tonight, but I will report back as soon as I can. Have a great day.

Brenda

Are you sitting down!!!!!?????

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured out what I was doing wrong.

The first time I tried to save your asr.dat file, I placed it on my desktop, THEN renamed it. Then when I put it in the TomTom ars folder, it showed as a Word doc and when I opened it, it was a blank piece of paper with a 1 on it. I knew this wasn't going to work, so this afternoon I played around with it and figured out what I had to do. I had to right click ON your .dat link and choose "save link as". This opened a new window, which is where I renamed it to a .dat file. Then at the top of the window I clicked the down arrow by "save in". I found TomTom, found the asr folder and saved it there. THIS time it showed as a .dat file, not a Word doc. So, I knew I was on my way, and sure enough when I restarted my unit..................IT WORKED!!!!!

So, like Chilly Cat said, you do have the patients of a saint. And even though I'm not very good on the computer, I'm living proof that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks again dhn, your the best!
Brenda

I just learned of another thing that will cause VR to be disabled.
You have to have a State selected or it will be disabled.

For example when it asks you to select country or state
If you select "United States of America"
VR will also be disabled :(

Why would a person select "United States of America"?
So you don't have to switch states when navigating.
You just start typing a City for example Windsor
and it will find any Windsor in any State for example CA, CO, CT, etc.,

No help to at all to you, but I have the same problem with my go530 icons vanished all together still unable to fix or get them back!

Ask a Question