No Spoken Voice Option

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 720
Hello,

I have a TT 720. I used to have the spoken voice option, but during an update the icons totally disappeared.

Does anyone know how I can get this option back?

Thanks,
Brenda

An update of what? The firmware? A map? When you say they have disappeared, do you mean the Voice icons are now greyed out? Do you have a computer voice selected???

I think what he means that he no longer has the option to >Spoken Address< for >Navigate to< (voice input). I have the same issue on my GO730.

It worked on my first GO730 with app 8.30 and map 8.10! The unit broke and it was exchanged by TomTom. Received new refurbished unit which now has app 8.30 and map 8.15. Called customer support and they have no clue. Told me to reinstall app which I did. I also run ClearFlash tool just in case.:(

Also when I copy my phonebook (LG enV) to device it only copies phone numbers but not the names. This has worked before as well.

Can the difference in map 8.10 versus 8.15?:confused:

Spoken voice

Update of what...............?
Answer - TomTom home updates when I connect to my computer.

No, the icons are not greyed out, like I said......they disappeared (gone).

I am using "Susan", which is a computer voice. But.............that is what I was using when the icons disappeared.

The map I am using is North America v710.1584. I can't tell you what version it was when the icons disappeared.

What firmware do you have (tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the f/w installed.

Confirm in your NA map that you have a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files. (Use Explorer to see).

Do you have a file in your asr folder called support_asr.dat ?

It is a text file with just a 1 in it, no spaces, no quotes, nothing but the 1.

Report back.

I had that problem a few month ago. Pushed the reset button on the bottum
of the unit and the voice symbols were back.

Hi all,
I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I have:
version 8.300
North America v710.1584

I honestly don't know how to find the information regarding cspeechxx.dat files. Maybe you can tell me how to look into finding that. EDIT - I typed cspeech and found a file for each of the 50 states, ie - cspeech_NY

And, last but not least, I don't know where or what a asr folder is. Again, maybe you would be so kind to help me with that also. EDIT - I typed asr in search and opened a folder called asr. There is a list in there, but I don't see support_asr.dat. The list goes from Recording.ctx - to - yes_no_DUB.ctx

Shepherd - thanks for the "reset" idea. I have tried that but to no avail.

Thanks all,
Brenda

Last edited:
Take the file I've attached to this post. Rename it as support_asr.dat and save it on your desktop or someplace and then use Windows Explorer to copy it to your asr folder on your unit. Then see if the VR icons return. (You might want to try a pin reset again).

Attachments

• support_asr.doc
    1 bytes · Views: 351
Last edited:
I'm so sorry, but I need step by step instuctions.

Where is the attached file?
How do I save it?
How do I copy it to the asr file?

Click on the file in red in my previous post. A window will open. Select 'save'. It may suggest a folder on your computer or you can provide a folder where to save it. REMEMBER where you chose to save it.

Now, open Windows Explorer. Navigate to where ou saved it. Right click on it. Choose Rename. Rename it support_asr_.dat.

Now, have your unit docked and on and connected to the computer. Use Explorer to copy the file to the asr folder on your unit.

I am also having the same Problem !!!??? It worked with the 7.22 or .21 whichever it was, and the new Home software and maps dumped it.... The Home (new one) didn't give me an option to not load....... So now I have things out of whack!!

I could use some help on this my self...

Okay, I have the file saved and renamed.
My TomTom is docked and connected to my computer.

But now I'm stuck becuase I don't know how to use Explorer to copy the file to the asr folder on my unit.

Thanks again

Sorry but you'll need somebody to help you, then.

Can you start Windows Explorer? If so, just look at the info it shows you (files, folders). See if you can get the hang of it.

I could just cry.

It's in Windows Explorer, in the asr folder renamed support_asr.dat (as a microsoft word document). So far so good?????

Now, how do I get it from there (on my computer), to my unit? I just don't understand what I am suppose to do. Just because it's renamed and in Windows Explorer, how does my TomTom know that??????

What firmware do you have (tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the f/w installed.

Confirm in your NA map that you have a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files. (Use Explorer to see).

Do you have a file in your asr folder called support_asr.dat ?

It is a text file with just a 1 in it, no spaces, no quotes, nothing but the 1.

Report back.

dhn: I think there is my problem!! I apperently don't have any of these files in the North_America_2GB Folder?? Where might these be found?

I may have found the biggest problem :eek: I have 705, and need 710 for all the stuff to work that used to :rolleyes: :confused: Is there a way to go back to the old map???? that worked???
AND to top it off when it updated to the new Home it dumped my system back up :mad: I guess I am stuck!!!

I could just cry.

It's in Windows Explorer, in the asr folder renamed support_asr.dat (as a microsoft word document). So far so good?????

Now, how do I get it from there (on my computer), to my unit? I just don't understand what I am suppose to do. Just because it's renamed and in Windows Explorer, how does my TomTom know that??????

It's NOT in Windows Explorer. Explorer is just an application that shows what files and folders reside on your hard drive and other storage areas (like a connected TomTom unit. If Explorer is showing the file in the \asr folder, then I'm presuming the \asr folder is on the TomTom unit.

When you use Explorer, I'm assuming Explorer shows a c:\drive and a bunch of folders and files. Do you see a listing for a drive that is called TomTom or shows the TT hands logo? If so, click on that. That's the unit we're talking about. Do you see a asr folder in it? Do you see the file support_asr.dat in the asr folder?

If the answer has been 'yes' all along, then try doing a pin reset for 5 seconds. The reset hole is on the bottom of the unit AND is marked 'reset'. Then try turning on the unit and seeing if the Voice icons are there. (You DO know what icons I'm referring to, right?)

I may have found the biggest problem :eek: I have 705, and need 710 for all the stuff to work that used to :rolleyes: :confused: Is there a way to go back to the old map???? that worked???
AND to top it off when it updated to the new Home it dumped my system back up :mad: I guess I am stuck!!!

I'm not clear how upgrading Home would dump a system backup. Home is an application on the pc; the system files reside on the unit, two different things. And yes, NA map 7.10 is required to use the 'hack' of support_asr.dat

Yes; I understand that the program is on the PC... I plugged the TT in to check on another little glitch that came up, and it offered (without an option to "Quit" ) to update the Home to V2.? ,and then the maps. OK I said, and it showed a diff Folder so I thought it was safe........WRONG!!! It erased the original Home, and made a new Home2 folder... Now I am stuck with an updated TT, and Home, but not a fully functional device!! I thought I was safe, and that the back up that I did some months ago would still be there, and that I could select which version of Home to use,,,,,Wrong Again. Now to obtain the V710 NA Map, it says that I have to pay $99 bucks for it... Really frustrating to have an upgrade to set you back, and disable functions that worked before. Really makes me thing of Microsoft, and their Updates.

If I could go back to the 7.22 ver with full function. I would be happy!!!!!

Can your unit boot up? If so, tap the satellite bars to see what version firmware is installed. Tap the version number to see what map version and build is installed.

If you can't do the above, use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. do you see a map folder? If so, look for a file that has an extension of .pna. It's a text file. What does that show (should show the map version, size and build).

If no map folder is found, you gotta call support: 866-486-6866.

Ask a Question