No Favorites after map upgrade!

Hi Forum,

I'm a noob in this forum, but have registered after having problems with Favorites...

Just updated my map after having an offer e-mail, and all my favorites have gone. Searching to the support site, it details creating a "Favorite POI" set, but on my TT One V4 (30 series ? 125 ?) , I have no option to create POI.

This is very frustrating as the next map updates that I'll get, I'll have to rebuild my favorites.

I have opened a support request, but as yet, no response.

Anyone else had this ?

Ta

Lainchy

Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backed up previous map to the new specific map folder.

Update from support

Hi Dhn,

MapSettings.cfg is the updated file ;)

I've backed up my One manually to a folder on the desktop, then created two new favorites on my device... then backed up to another folder on the desktop.

I ran a folder comparison tool, and it had changed MapSettings.cfg.

I had an old backup copy from when I bought the device in November, so I copied the MapSettings.cfg file from that, albeit from an earlier map release (840.2561) to the map folder, and the "Favorites" icon greyed out, and it didn't know where home was. The new map version that I have is the latest... (845.2666)

I've asked for the fault to be passed to R&D, as basically, they've told me that if copying the MapSettings.cfg file doesn't work, then I'll have to re-enter all the Favorites manually at every map update... which is just not feasible.

Come on TomTom... this is why i went with you and not Garmin !!!

Lainchy

You are experiencing the reason why many people have utilized a custom favourites.ov2 file that can easily be copied from map to map. See this link for information how.

Hi Dhn,

I've had a good read of that link... many thanks.

I still have the problem though that TT have created a backup / restore facility, which doesn't work, and if there were no third party apps, like POIedit, then I'd be stuffed ! I have no option on my TT One v4 to "Manage POI" It's not there.

It really can't understand why the programmers at TT, can't write a small addition to HOME, or indeed a little applictaion that will Import Fav's then export to the unit again... or even create a new MapSettings.cgf file to manually copy over ????

There's a BIG hole in the software here.

With backup not doing as it states, and my V4 having no Manage POI, then i'd be stuffed ! Using POIEdit will half solve my problem, but as it states in the link.... Favorites are dead easy to get to and fast. Even if I could get the Fav POI into my unit, I'd still have to try and copy them from POI into Favorites.... it's just VERY cumbersome, and slow.

We need an application to sort this... preferably HOME, via the backup restore !

"I apologise for the inconvenience that you will may have to rekey the favourites after every map update.

At this moment in time we do not have a fix for a ONE 30 series. As you know on other devices we can convert the favourites into POI's.

Our 2nd Line department are working on a resolution for this, hopefully in the near future this will be a feature on your device.

With Kind Regards..."

... Be Quick.... I'm holding my breath

NOT

One option available to you is to put a custom Menu file on the device which should open up the full POI options on the device but you will lose a couple of the "Really useful" icons such as HelpMe and MapShare, if you want some details on whats needed for this just ask but be aware you will lose these two "really useful features" while runnig a custom menu (note the bits in the "" are rather sarcastic comments as these functions are usless IMHO) - Mike

Cheers Mike,

I found some info about doing this, but thanks for the offer anyway. I'd be interested now my choices are limited.

At the moment, I've input about 40 odd Favourites, in various formats... postcodes, lat/long etc, and imported it to POIEdit. At least that way, I can build a spreadsheet with the list on, all in lat/long. I should be able to just number punch to get them back in. It'll still take time, but better than search by postcode etc.

Regards for now

Lainchy

Ask a Question