Map Update Deletes Favorites

TomTom Model(s)
one 3rd edition
I purchased new maps of the United States and Canada in December 2011, and downloaded them to my TomTom ONE 3rd Edition. Unfortunately, the update process deleted my Favorites and Home destinations, so I had to re-enter the addresses manually.

Last week I received an e-mail from TomTom advising me that updates were available, so this time I updated my TomTom Home software before attempting to update my device. I also attempted to make a backup, as recommended, but the process failed part way through, with no reason given, and no suggestions for fixing the problem. I therefore proceeded to download the new USA-Canada maps (and also the MapShare corrections and a GPS fix).

The downloads were successful, but once again, the Favorites and Home destinations were all deleted. I have seen several posts on this subject, with suggested solutions involving copying “mapsettings.cfg”, or converting Favourites to a Custom POI. Neither of these solutions apply to the ONE 3rd Edition. I can’t see any way to copy anything from TomTom Home to my device, (except for the updates that are offered in the “Update My ONE” box in TomTom Home).

Judging by the lack of replies to similar posts, I suspect that there is no solution to this problem, and that TomTom has no intention of trying to fix it. However, I welcome any informed comments!

I'm not sure where you got the idea that these techniques don't work with a "One", they certainly do!

Where I think you are going wrong is thinking you need to use TomTom's "Home" program to do these things - you don't.

When you connect your "One" to your PC, it will appear to the PC as a new disk drive, and you can use Windows Explorer (or "My Computer" they are the same thing), to browse the TomTom's memory storage just like any other hard drive.
Don't try to use Internet Explorer, that's a different program completely.

Using that, you will be able to find MapSettings.cfg in the folder that contains your map (called "Western Europe "US and Canada or something similar).
Unfortunately, you didn't get to make a backup before, so you won't be able to restore them this time, but if you make a backup NOW (and again just before you update the maps next time), you'll be ready for the next time it happens.

We also STRONGLY suggest you make your backups using Windows Explorer too, NOT Home.

There are several useful tutorials in our "Articles" forum section, which you should have a look at. They should get you started on backups etc.

Any more questions, just ask.

Yes there is a solution:

First of all, don't use Home to make backups/restores. Use Explorer. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html (and this works with the TT One 3rd Ed. as well).

Next, you use Explorer, not Home [it isn't involved] to copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the old (backed up) map to the updated specific map folder on your unit. That normally is enough.

But, some people doesn't want the hassle of doing this every map update so they do convert their favourites to a custom .ov2 poi file that can be copied to a new map folder anytime. Here's how to do that:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71517&highlight=

Ahh, for once I didn't spend extra time finding the links, like you kindly did, dhn!

I'm not sure where you got the idea that these techniques don't work with a "One", they certainly do!

Where I think you are going wrong is thinking you need to use TomTom's "Home" program to do these things - you don't.

When you connect your "One" to your PC, it will appear to the PC as a new disk drive, and you can use Windows Explorer (or "My Computer" they are the same thing), to browse the TomTom's memory storage just like any other hard drive.
Don't try to use Internet Explorer, that's a different program completely.

Using that, you will be able to find MapSettings.cfg in the folder that contains your map (called "Western Europe "US and Canada or something similar).
Unfortunately, you didn't get to make a backup before, so you won't be able to restore them this time, but if you make a backup NOW (and again just before you update the maps next time), you'll be ready for the next time it happens.

We also STRONGLY suggest you make your backups using Windows Explorer too, NOT Home.

There are several useful tutorials in our "Articles" forum section, which you should have a look at. They should get you started on backups etc.

Any more questions, just ask.

Thank you very much for your help! Just shows how important a bit of lateral thinking can be. Since my attempted back-up was unsuccessful, I searched an old TomTom/Home folder on a different computer, and found a MapSettings.cfg file from October 2011, which I copied and pasted to the computer with my latest TomTom/Home on it. Only 5 months old, so not too much editing will be needed! I will also take your advice and use Windows Explorer to make a back-up. Should I simply copy the device's folder "TomTom" (with its 21 sub-folders) direct to the TomTom/Home folder on my computer?

Thanks also to DHN, who replied almost simultaneously with you, and gave me pretty much the same advice!

Best Regards

Mike Mead

Should I simply copy the device's folder "TomTom" (with its 21 sub-folders) direct to the TomTom/Home folder on my computer?

Hi Mike.
There isn't actually a folder called "TomTom", that's just the name given to the whole "disk drive".

So you need to copy all the folders AND all the loose files (the ones not in folders), and then paste them somewhere safe.

As for where to put them, personally I wouldn't put them in the TomTom/Home folder on your PC, I'd leave that alone as Home likes to use it for map updates etc.

Here's what I do:

1. Just make a new folder in My Documents and call it something like "TomTom One Backups".
2. Then make ANOTHER folder inside that called "Backup_1_15Mar2012" (or whatever you like, so long as it means something to you)

3. Go inside that folder and PASTE all the folders and loose files you copied in step 1 into it.

That's it!

If you buy a new map or add a load of new Favourites or POI files, you can make another backup, just make another dated folder to store it in.

And if the TomTom ever crashes badly, all you need to do to 'restore' the backup is copy everything from that folder again and paste it back onto the TomTom.

Should I simply copy the device's folder "TomTom" (with its 21 sub-folders) direct to the TomTom/Home folder on my computer?

Hi Mike.
There isn't actually a folder called "TomTom", that's just the name given to the whole "disk drive".

So you need to copy all the folders AND all the loose files (the ones not in folders), and then paste them somewhere safe.

As for where to put them, personally I wouldn't put them in the TomTom/Home folder on your PC, I'd leave that alone as Home likes to use it for map updates etc.

Here's what I do:

1. Just make a new folder in My Documents and call it something like "TomTom One Backups".
2. Then make ANOTHER folder inside that called "Backup_1_15Mar2012" (or whatever you like, so long as it means something to you)

3. Go inside that folder and PASTE all the folders and loose files you copied in step 1 into it.

That's it!

If you buy a new map or add a load of new Favourites or POI files, you can make another backup, just make another dated folder to store it in.

And if the TomTom ever crashes badly, all you need to do to 'restore' the backup is copy everything from that folder again and paste it back onto the TomTom.

Once again, thank you very much for your well-presented advice!

Best Regards

Mike Mead

Ask a Question