New XXL-550 for Xmas

Nap

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550 TM
Got a XXL-550 for Xmas but I'm sad to say I'm taking it back.
I'm coming from an old Nuvi 200 and really could use a new unit but these issues with the tomtom drive me nuts

1. Unit does not turn on/off automatically when power cord is plugged in/pulled out.

2. POI Addresses are not shown. The closest intersection is shown in the preview map before the driving display pops up but the house number of the POI is never shown. This make it difficult to relay my destination to friends. My Garmin displays a restaurant's full addresses so I could easily tell my friends where to meet. Now I have to call the restaurant and get the exact street address so my friends can get their.

3. POI search is way better on Garmin. On the tomtom grocery/food stores are lumped under the general "shopping" category. If you don't know the name of the local food store chain you are in trouble.

4. Can?t enter longitude and latitude coordinates as a destination?WTF even my 5 year old Nuvi can do that. Going to have to use the old Garmin when navigating camp grounds that are not on the map.

5. - Can not load your own routes/itineraries. There are all kinds of apps and tools out their to load your own routes into older tomtom units .... so I was super disappointed that the XXL doesn?t do routes/itineraries planning. After searching the tomtom web site for 45 minutes in order to see which newer models support this feature I gave up. No idea which ones can do it.

Perhaps a higher spec device from the TomTom range would have been more useful to you as some models will allow itinerary planning, destination bu Lat/ Long. As for POI searches I find both TomTom and Garmin to both be lacking in the supplied POI categories, this is both accuracy and time related.
Go and have a look at the Garmin 3790T if that doesn't tick all the boxes you need from a device then I doubt such a unit exists! - Mike

1. Unit does not turn on/off automatically when power cord is plugged in/pulled out.
Auto-power-off can be configured on most Tomtom models, but not the XXL 550. Auto power-on hasn't been available since 2006 models, although it is a frequently requested feature.

2. POI Addresses are not shown. The closest intersection is shown in the preview map before the driving display pops up but the house number of the POI is never shown. This make it difficult to relay my destination to friends. My Garmin displays a restaurant's full addresses so I could easily tell my friends where to meet. Now I have to call the restaurant and get the exact street address so my friends can get their.
This is only available on Tomtom GO models, not XXL models.

3. POI search is way better on Garmin. On the tomtom grocery/food stores are lumped under the general "shopping" category. If you don't know the name of the local food store chain you are in trouble.
This is another big complaint when owners switch from other brands to Tomtom. You can search for categories on LIVE models with Google, but not on non-LIVE models.

4. Can?t enter longitude and latitude coordinates as a destination?WTF even my 5 year old Nuvi can do that. Going to have to use the old Garmin when navigating camp grounds that are not on the map.
See this link for Tomtom models that support coordinates.

5. - Can not load your own routes/itineraries. There are all kinds of apps and tools out their to load your own routes into older tomtom units .... so I was super disappointed that the XXL doesn?t do routes/itineraries planning. After searching the tomtom web site for 45 minutes in order to see which newer models support this feature I gave up. No idea which ones can do it.
See this link for Tomtom models that support itineraries.

Ask a Question