New TomTom ONE XL with screen issues

Hey,

Just took my TomTom ONE back and got the XL. Bigger is better right? :) Anyway, it appears this screen has issues. There are "waves" moving constantly up the screen. They are very close together and move pretty fast. It's hard to describe, but it's like some weird screen refresh deal. Has anyone else seen this? I know it can't be normal so it's going back tomorrow.

Odd

Ok, I reset to defaults and started it up again. Now the waves are gone. The only thing is sometimes it seems like the screen is ghosting a bit as it changes from one screen to another. Anyone think there's something wrong or should I just watch it for my 2 week return period?

I'm not a Tomtom expert but I am an engineer. I would be a bit wary since the sumptoms you are seeing should not happen to LCD panels. Could be a faulty connection or bad component (back light, capacitor, etc.).

Can you go to a store and compare with the display unit? Maybe check with Tomtom tech support?

Thanks

Thanks for your response. It hasn't really shown anymore symptoms after what I saw at first. I am concerned it was there at all though. I bought it locally so I could just go exchange it just in case. I think I'll call TomTom and see if they have seen this as well.

Would you recommend just getting another one?

If the reset fixes it and the original symptom is not that bad I would not be too concerned. Tomtom's two year warranty is pretty generous so I would not worry.

If you can sleep at night, I would not exchange it. ;)

It's back

Well it started doing it again. I called TomTom and was told he hadn't heard anything like this yet. He said I should definitely return it.

Thanks for your help!

Battery or powered? Ripple could be caused by the power converter.

Well it started doing it again. I called TomTom and was told he hadn't heard anything like this yet. He said I should definitely return it.

Thanks for your help!

Does the problem happen when you're running exclusively on the internal battery?

Ask a Question