New Software puzzle

TomTom Model(s)
Go 6000
Following two month gap, I plugged in my Go6000 to update, and was then obliged to up-load new TomTom software identified as 2.9.8 ( maybe 2.8.9.? )........anyway, although the TomTom nav unit declared itself to be connected, my computer would no longer recognise it as connected. The computer's software program - either old or new - is now completely dormant and will not open at all. Having no children or grand children currently in reach to sort it out, wondered if anybody has had similar problem before I call my local IT guru.......

Also, I talked to the call centre in Amsterdam about the fact that the ( mine anyway ) Go6000 will not accept decimal places on seconds of Latitude and Longitude. When I need this level of accuracy, I have to carry an older TomTom with this facility and switch over for the last short distance to destination. For example being able to enter 30.26" as opposed to 30" is a critical increase in location accuracy. Thus it doesn't match the usefulness of logging position data from Google Earth or Google Maps. I have made several calls to the Amsterdam call centre over the last five or six years, and find them pleasant and easy to talk to. However, on this issue they seem a bit vague.

I acquired the 6000 since I damaged the on/off switch on my favourite TomTom, but have discovered that it may be reparable. If so, the 6000 will operate as a useful back-up for its other cleaver features. .......Still, I'm not complaining since we have come a long way since 'Sputnik'.....

Is the device even recognized by the computer when you plug it in? I understand you are saying MyDrive does not automatically launch as a browser tab, but if the device is not recognized by the PC, you won't get that far.

These units appear as network devices in Device Manager. Does yours? Do you hear the dings when connecting via USB cable?

It should appear as a "Network Adapter", right along with the NIC card in your computer. MyDrive converts the USB connection to appear as a network connection as one of its primary functions. Your 6000 is actually a tiny mini-server.

The 6000 can use decimals, just look at the examples. You can't use N/S/E/W at the beginning, just the minus sign if negative.

Yo.....thanks guys......My 6000 still won't talk to the new software, so have put it on ice for now.

I'm fine with using Lat/Long in degrees, minutes and whole seconds........just not whole seconds plus the two extra decimal places thereof as with my two other Tom Toms, which are quite spiffing in this respect. By the way, I share a patient for a form of inertial updating if blanked by satellites. Useful underground, or wondering how far to the end of the tunnel........
.......All I need now is one of those tags that the probation service use, in order to track the wife in the shopping mall....

I do not know the 6000 but presume it is akin to the 600.

The first picture from Search > Near me (to get the other options) > Latitude Longitude

Coordinates-Entry_01.jpg

As mvl suggests, select the first option.

The second picture shows that the device accepted the input as entered but cannot find a road in Hammersmith on my North American map.

Coordinates-Entry_02.jpg

On Edit

Lest someone wonders, for the benefit of the OP I picked Sulgrave Rd in London W6, UK.

Last edited:
Regarding your connection, you have the wrong software. 2.9 is the old Tomtom HOME software which is incompatible with the 6000.

Uninstall it, and download the myDrive software below. That is the only version that can talk to the 6000.
www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Ask a Question