New map, quick question...

I recently updated my map via Tomtom's map service blah blah...ANYWAY. I'm finding a lot of new errors that werent there before. First and foremost the road I live on has disappeared completely from the map. It used to be on here from maps back in the 7's now with 840 its gone. I've also found quite a few other annoying problems.

Then I ran into an even more annoying problem. I was trying to do a map correction and I relabeled a mislabeled road. "Old Federal Hill Rd" to "Federal Hill Rd" where I was trying to correct an error at is basically a publicly maintained driveway that is in essence part of Federal Hill Rd, but was labeled Old Federal Hill Rd. So I changed the road name, but I didnt realize that I was not only highlighting the mislabeled Old Federal Hill Rd, but the real Old Federal Hill Rd 2 miles away. So I relabeled, realized that I was better off having a driveway mislabeled then the actual road mislabeled.

Problem, Old Federal Hill Rd touches Federal Hill Rd. Now I cant UNDO my error because EVERYTHING highlights when I try to simply undo the mistake because there are all labeled the same. I cant even navigate to Old Federal Hill Rd because the numbers are the same. If I enter Navigate to 3700 Old Federal Hill Rd, it points me at 3700 Federal Hill Rd.

So obviously I would like to roll back to map 835. Because now I would have to navigate to some place near my house when trying to get home at night (I end work in different locations everyday so I use navigate home a lot).

Another problem is my hard drive containing all my back ups of maps is died a month or so ago. So I dont have any back ups. So WORST case I was hoping would be getting a fresh copy of 840, but I dont know if I can even do that.

I'm typing in a hurry please bare with me if some of this didnt make sense...

CN:

1. Can I roll back to map 835 somehow without physically having a copy? New map is terrible, at least for my area.

2. Can I get a fresh 840? I aided in making it worse...

Last edited:
To be a little more detailed.

I tried to relabeled Old Federal Hill Rd N39 39.364', W76 27.297' to Federal Hill Rd. This would be labeled correctly because its basically a common driveway for people that live on Federal Hill Rd.

But it relabeled the real Old Federal Hill Rd. N39 37.632' W76 28.459'

And since I all these roads are now labeled Federal Hill Rd I can not select them in portions I can only select them as a group (Federal Hill Rd, the mislabeled Federal Hill Rd, and the real Old Federal Hill Rd).

Maybe someone can look on there map an see what I'm talking about...

1. If you don't have a backup of your old 835 map I don't think there's anything you can do.

2. You can remove the 840 map from your device (make an explorer backup) and add it again through TT Home. When you downloaded the map the first time, TT Home should have saved it to your computers hard drive, which is where you'd get it from. In TT Home go to add maps and select your map. (The location of the map should say "My Computer").

Sorry, I'm at work right now and can't give exact instructions. Just make sure to make a backup of your map so you can get it back if needed.

woot! I found not only my new copy of 840 but a copy of 835 on my laptop. I was able to rollback a map version. Well its installing as I type, so hopefully it will rollback correctly. I simply deleted my current map and went to add map and installed that one which was on the hard drive.

I have to confess its a little disappointing to PAY for something then almost immediately throw it in the trash but I dont know what else to do. The road I lived on disappeared. Other roads near me that desperately needed fixing (missing neighborhoods, roads that you drive off the map they are so far off cource) have not been touched. And roads that were fine/perfect are now messed with....

Plus I THINK 840 was the last map of my subscription (I got it when TT first started it). I would hate to be stuck with a map without my road on it for longer then required....

Something I'm finding interesting. Is going from map 835 to 840 on 2gb TT's is a 70meg or so increase, which makes sense they are adding more roads then getting rid of. However, with the 1gb devices like I have 840 is actually 20 meg or so SMALLER then 835, which doesnt make much sense to me.

Why would one get bigger and the other get smaller? How many roads have to be removed (like mine) to make up 20 meg? Hehe......

Well, we understood they were compressing the map a bit. I guess removing roads is a form of compression. sorry about that Cynix. I've seen posts after nearly every update pointing out roads that had been correct suddenly being wrong or missing in some area. Guess it was Maryland's turn:eek:

Oh well. I'm just glad I was able to fix my blunder. Its kind of crazy the fact I relabeled a road to a correcting roads name and thats all it took for the software to not allow me to select that road in different sections.

I definitely wont make that mistake again!

After using my GPS today I found the RDS TMC traffic receiver no longer works. I still have the file on my Tomtom, and its recognized in TTH. But when I plug it in I dont get my little bar on the side anymore...

Does this happen when uninstalling and reinstalling maps? Maybe a common problem with a simple solution?

See if you have 2 files on your unit called tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat in your specific map folder showing 0 bytes each.

If so, extract the same 2 files from your newly downloaded map on your computer and copy them over to the map folder on the unit.

See if you have 2 files on your unit called tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat in your specific map folder showing 0 bytes each.

If so, extract the same 2 files from your newly downloaded map on your computer and copy them over to the map folder on the unit.

Did the trick...thanks a lot...

You are most welcome.

Fellow SuperMod, Mikealder, when in a kind mood refers to Home as the work of the Devil.

Now you know why. :p

Since I got the TT I think Home has gotten 100x better via updates. It seems faster and just better now.

I'd add to your reputation for helping me but it says I need to spread it around before giving it too you again, hahah I guess last time I needed help you helped me out then too...

Ask a Question