New map not showing available

TomTom Model(s)
Via 125
I purchased a Canada / Alaska map for my newly bought Via Live 120. I can see that the order is complete, but the map doesn't show when I go into My Tomtom on the site as available.

I have been on Chat Support with Tomtom this morning, and have done everything they suggested, but the maps still won't show as available.

Any ideas?

@parahandy
Did you previously own a different TomTom unit?

What have they suggested you try?

This is a summary of the chat session:

Hi, my name is Jasmine (UK). How may I help you?
Jasmine (UK): Please be aware that this is support for Europe and South Africa only. If you are outside that region, I can however provide you with the phone number for support line of the country if you need it.
Please also be aware that most issues can be resolved by Chat in less than 20 minutes, but if this Chat session lasts 40 minutes and you are a UK customer, I will arrange for someone to call you within 24-48 hours of the Chat session ending to resolve the issue.
Allan McPhail: I have purchased a new map for my Tomtom Via Live 120
Allan McPhail: but there is nothing showing under Check for new items
Jasmine (UK): I understand that you are unable to download the purchased map
Allan McPhail: yes
Allan McPhail: I have UK map at present, and have purchased Canada & Alaska
Jasmine (UK): Please allow me a moment, while I investigate your issue
Jasmine (UK): In order to resolve the issue, we need to manually clear cache and cookie, do you have your device with you now?
Allan McPhail: yes, it is connected
Jasmine (UK): STEP 1 Exit My TomTom program
• Click on the TomTom logo on the task bar (Windows) or the menu bar (Mac)
• Hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and click on Close and then Exit

Allan McPhail: done
Jasmine (UK): STEP 2 - Show hidden files or folders (Windows only)

The steps here depend on your Operating System. If you are using an Apple computer please skip to STEP 3.

Windows XP:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Windows 7/Vista:
Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Allan McPhail: done
Jasmine (UK):
STEP 3 - Remove the MyTomTom folder

Delete the folder called MyTomTom 3 in the location below:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Application Data\TomTom
Windows 7/VISTA: C:\Users\ \AppData\Local Settings\TomTom

Apple computer: /Users/ /Library/Caches/TomTom
*Note for Lion OS: To find the folder, click on GO (from the task bar), press the “alt” key then the Library will be visible in the list. Select APPLICATION SUPPORT and then TomTom

Please note: will need to be changed to your login name.
Allan McPhail: The folder is called HOME3 is that okay?
Jasmine (UK): There will be folder called My TomTom or sometimes it renames to HOME3
Allan McPhail: Okay have deleted the folder
Jasmine (UK): STEP 4 - Open MyTomTom
• Open the MyTomTom Support Application (through your Start menu (Windows) or Applications (mac)
• Connect your device to the computer while it is switched off
• Press and hold the power button until your device switches on
• Open the following website in your browser: http://www.tomtom.com
• Click on the green MyTomTom button in the top right corner of tomtom.com and log in
• Click on the MyTomTom button again and click on Check for New Items
Your updates will be listed here to install.

Please note: We recommend that you install any Navigator updates first. After that you can return to install any other updates.
Allan McPhail: Screen states "Your navigation device is up-to-date. There are no updates waiting for installation.
Jasmine (UK): Please also click the link below and automatically clear cache
Jasmine (UK): http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15227/kw/cache/sno/1
Allan McPhail: Nope done all that still saying up to date
Jasmine (UK): Please allow me a moment
Jasmine (UK): Please follow the link for procedure on how to reset the device http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/kw/reset

Jasmine (UK): After reset please try to connect your device and download the map
'Allan McPhail' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

Did all that without success!

@parahandy
Did you previously own a different TomTom unit?

Yep, had a One 3rd edition

That may have been the problem. I suspect TomTom is trying to assign the map to the unit aswsociated with your previous unit.

You may want to CALL CS to work this all out and ensure the map is assigned to the account you will create for the new Via model.

CS: 0845 161 0009

Yep, had a One 3rd edition
Figured that might be the case. It will now take a call to CS as dhn suggests to straighten this out. The system still believes the account you were using under your old email address belongs to your old ONE 3rd, and the map was set up to be picked up by that unit using the old method.

Okay, many thanks guys. Will phone them when they're next open. Hopefully I'll have more luck than the Chat system...!

Just an update.

Phoned the Support Line, and according to the (very helpful, I have to say) CSA, the map I had purchased are not compatible with VIA models that have 2GB internal memory - even though the map will fit comfortably. Added to that, there is a known issue with the Micro SD slot.

So they have linked my previous One 3rd Ed back to my account so I can stick the map on there but I'll have to do a bit of jiggery pokery so I can fit it on.

So I bought a new device which I can't use outwith this country, pretty pissed off....

Ah... you hadn't mentioned that you were trying to install to an SD card!
We know the SD slot isn't working yet, but that shoukkd not have stopped the map appearing for download.

I think you've let TT fob you off... There should be no reason why that map couldn't have been assigned to the new VIA. They just needed to sort out the account confusion.

I'd give them another call and say you are not satisfied, and that you want the map/device combination that you paid for.

Ah... you hadn't mentioned that you were trying to install to an SD card!
We know the SD slot isn't working yet, but that shoukkd not have stopped the map appearing for download.

I think you've let TT fob you off... There should be no reason why that map couldn't have been assigned to the new VIA. They just needed to sort out the account confusion.

I'd give them another call and say you are not satisfied, and that you want the map/device combination that you paid for.

I wasn't trying to install to SD card, I was under the impression that device I have is more than capable of storing the map I bought.

Ah sorry, I got that impression from your previous post.

I still maintain that you should not have let TT add the map to your old device.

I'm going to approach Halfords where I bought the damn thing to see if they'll refund me, as far as I'm concerned, the goods are faulty,

Is this thing with the SD card applicable to all VIA models? They had a better model for slightly more, but if I'm going to have the same problem, I will just leave it.

From this thread recommendation, if I do go down this route (how apt), I gather I would be better to register with a separate email address on MyTomTom. Aaaahhh, but I've already purchased the map....

FFS!!!!

Some of the models based upon the new platform have uSD card slots. However, NONE of those units have production firmware that can make use of the slots (yet). That has been and remains on TomTom's to-do list for these units.

TomTom Support Forums said:
Aha. I delselected Start20 as my device (selected another at random) then changed back to Start20 and it worked..

Like a fool, I did this, and sure enough Canada maps became available and allowed me to download. So I can now understand that the map wasn't available for good reason.... grrrr

I've been told the map (even though only 500mb or so) will not fit on to a 2GB device. If I select Via 110/120, the map shows as available. Halfords have a Via 125, so I think this would work too.

The 500MB map will fit, it just won't fit concurrently with whatever map(s) are already on your unit, requiring you to shuffle some off the unit to make space. If all goes well, MyTomTom will allow you to swap them back when you return.

The 500MB map will fit, it just won't fit concurrently with whatever map(s) are already on your unit, requiring you to shuffle some off the unit to make space. If all goes well, MyTomTom will allow you to swap them back when you return.

I don't doubt that, but the problem was that the map wasn't even showing under Check for New Items.

My reply was to this

I've been told the map (even though only 500mb or so) will not fit on to a 2GB device.
What you were told is inaccurate. What may be true is that it won't fit concurrently with whatever other maps are on your Via 120. There are no Via 120 models made without enough memory to manage a 500MB map. The smallest Via 120 has 2GB of internal memory. However, I suspect that ordering up a North American map for your Via 120 will provide you a considerably larger map than 500MB. That size would have been more appropriate for your old device.

The fact that it didn't show up was, as I recall, a function of buying the map while signed in with an account for your old unit. Those of us with several units in hand have to remember to let the TomTom server know upon which unit we want to install the map - since they're keyed to specific units. If all the units work on Home2, that's not much of a problem, but Home2 and MyTomTom don't talk to each other.

Well good news, Halfords agreed to take back the TomTom and give me an alternative model which I am assured will take the maps (obviously had to pay the extra cost, which I didn't mind).

I'm not doing anything with it though till TomTom come back to me as they're going to "link" this new device to my account so I can download the maps.

TomTom get a lot of bad press, but on this occasion, they have been really good about this.

Ask a Question