How Do I Correct Map for a Street Not Showing

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 340 Live 1605
Driving around with my 1605, I decided to take a shortcut to get to a grocery store so I cut through a housing development and the road was not even showing on the map.. How do I report where I was so that in future maps it would be showing.

Also the directions to the grocery store off the main road were off by about .5 mile so how do I correct that?

Also with this grocery store I tried to save my location in its parking lot right in front of the store but the GPS said I could not do that and I had to find a main street... Strange but true... I thought GPS were global POSITIONING satellites but obviously I am not getting paid to think...

I imagine since there are no answers that what I want is not possible with this TT ?

At least two reporting methods are not difficult to find....

Have you not found the MapShare functions on the TomTom itself? That gives a way to report new roads using a very basic "point A to point B" method. That report then gets uploaded to TomTom for checking the next time you do an update in TT Home.

Or there is the TomTom MapShare Reported website...http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/#

----------------

Not sure why you are having trouble marking a position. Are you doing it as a Favourite, a POI or what?

Normally there is no problem MARKING a location, although if you mark one well off a navigable road, then the system MAY not be able to create a driving route to it. A little common sense is required when marking positions.

Remember this is primarily a DRIVING navigation aid, it is not intended to have the same off-road capabilities as a hand-help GPS for walkers.

Andy_P, I am not sure what the problem is but I do not understand how to use the GPS unit to mark a location so that on a future map, a road will show instead of an empty field as it does not. I also do not know how to mark the position so the correct location of the grocery store would show instead of an empty field that is even before the "invisible" street I mentioned above.

Andy_P, I am not sure what the problem is but I do not understand how to use the GPS unit to mark a location so that on a future map, a road will show instead of an empty field as it does not.

OK, on the TomTom itself, go to Settings (new models) or Change Preferences (old models)
Then go to Map corrections --> Correct a map error --> Missing street.

It will then ask you to find the start of the missing street on the map, or by the name of a connecting street or nearby / near home.

Simply tap the screen in the correct place and select "Done"

Then repeat for the END of the road.

You can also achieve the same thing from the "Browse map"/"View map" screen by tapping on the location and then selecting "correct an error" from the cursor menu.

The next time you connect to TomTom Home or MyTomTom, any corrections you've made will get uploaded back to TomTom. They then get compared with other people's corrections and checked by the map team for accuracy.

Note that it's a simple reporting tool, there's no way to "draw" the actual shape of the road. Also, none of this will affect your current map, but hopefully it will get incorporated into new map versions.

I also do not know how to mark the position so the correct location of the grocery store would show instead of an empty field that is even before the "invisible" street I mentioned above.

There are quite a few questions in one here....
To mark a position where you currently are, find "Add Favourite" or "Add POI" in the menu, then select "My Location".

To edit the position of a built-in POI (such as your grocery store if that's already a TomTom POI) tap on it, then go to Map corrections (as above) and select "Edit POI". You can then move it to a new position.

If you want to move the location of a user-POI that you've added, then you have to delete the existing location and add it again in the new one. All of that is done by going to Manage POIs, selecting add or delete and tapping the map.

As I said in my first reply, you can normally move a POI to a position slightly off-road and the unit will still be able to navigate to it, but if it is a LONG way from any road it knows about, or the particular roads are marked as pedestrian only, then it may have trouble finding a route.

Thank you Andy_P... I will try what you said today

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question