new girl from Canada!

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
hey everyone,

I'm just outside of Vancouver, BC and i'm SO happy to have found this forum or else my lovely new TT One XL would be thrown out the window by now..LOL :p. I was so frustrated by the weird default language!! thanks to you guys, it was so easy to change..

One problem i keep running into is trying to put in a destination. Every time i try, it just shows me STATES, not provinces and i can't even search my city or put in an address for around me. I've put in my house as a POI's and it has the maps for here, so why can't it recognize it to put my city/province in??

thanks so much if you can answer me!

Hi and welcome to TTF!

As far as I'm concerned, when you enter the city, it'll list everything. e.g. if I enter Vancouver, it'll show Vancouver BC and Vancouver WA.

*However*, if you have the US map loaded, then it'll show US cities only. I'm assuming the ONE XL has the USA_and_Canada map so it should be able to find it.

You can put your house as HOME rather than a POI but it's up to you.

So yeah, check what map you have loaded.

Try browsing the map. Is Canada there??? (It would be very wierd if it wasn't.) At least you're not stuck in Guam!

thanks! i figured it out.. i had to click on the state that was showing and it got me to canada.. works great now! sometimes it takes the long way around, even when i chose the shortest route, but thats ok.. if i'm somewhere i don't know, it'll still get me there!

Welcome to the forum. Using a gps takes a bit of "bit of getting used to" but you will find help here.

Welcome Tascha
As a relative newbie myself... this forum is what kept me from taking back my 920. Now I love it.
The only thing that the customer support was able to help me with was the changing of the language from Polish to english. I have called several other times with questions and problems... no help. They do not even return phone calls. If TomTom would straighten this out they could rule the GPS world. The help I have received from this forum is excellent...
Best wishes in your navigations...

BTW, I love Vancouver and the western part of CA. I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks there some years ago and really enjoyed it.

Ask a Question