New Firmware Version 9.022 for XL340S

TomTom Model(s)
XL340S, VIA 1535TM
I connected my XL340S to Home this evening and was prompted to install firmware Version 9.022. I just loaded Version 8.415 last week, so I'm a bit surprised to see a new version this soon. I also loaded TomTom Home Version 2.7.3 tonight, and don't know if the two are tied together.

Has anyone loaded the new firmware? Also, what are the new features?

I had problems loading Version 8.415, so I want to make sure that the new version does not have problems.

Thanks!

I connected my XL340S to Home this evening and was prompted to install firmware Version 9.022. I just loaded Version 8.415 last week, so I'm a bit surprised to see a new version this soon. I also loaded TomTom Home Version 2.7.3 tonight, and don't know if the two are tied together.

Has anyone loaded the new firmware? Also, what are the new features?

I had problems loading Version 8.415, so I want to make sure that the new version does not have problems.

Thanks!

Per here, the new version allows you to keep favorites and settings when you install a new map. As with all new firmware versions, you may want to let the more ambitious members be guinea pigs before you try it yourself.

Last edited:
In fact the major noticeable difference is UI (Almost no jaggies and more 3D look, at least on my customized map color), which improved noticeably and I like it so far plus some changes in the placement of buttons.

Problem with TripMaster

I use a 3rd party software...TripMaster. Since my update last night, it doesn't function right (screen flickers back and forth between regular GPS screen and TripMaster screen). Thats the only "problem" I've noticed with the new update.

***I did try and use the software fix from TripMaster, but it didn't help.

I use a 3rd party software...TripMaster. Since my update last night, it doesn't function right (screen flickers back and forth between regular GPS screen and TripMaster screen). Thats the only "problem" I've noticed with the new update.

***I did try and use the software fix from TripMaster, but it didn't help.

I just sent a pm alerting roussillat, the author.

It's a real credit to the software creator of the excellent Trip Master plug in application that he continues to adjust his application every time TomTom manage to disable the interface to his software with every update, since the removal of the SDK a lot of third party apps have failed to work, but given time I hope this latest issue can be resolved so we get a great capability back to the devices - Mike

Hello:

I upgraded the firmware last night to Version 9.022, and the TT seems to be working fine. I deleted 8.415 before upgrading, and Home insisted on installing Version 8 again. Once I reinstalled 8.415 I let Home install Version 9,022 one top, and the upgrade went smoothly. I deleted Version 8.415 because when I upgraded to that version the upgrade failed, and I ended up having to delete the software from the device so that the new version would load. Thought I would do the delete first, but Home didn't like that.

This is the first time I have done major upgrade (firmware, map, etc.) to the device that worked as it should. The minor map share updates always work, but updating anything large has always caused problems. Let's hope that TomTom has got a handle on upgrading the One devices. If they don't there will be a LOT of upset people at the end of December....

I'm guessing there is not an announced release schedule for apps like there is for maps, but does any one know when the rest us (I have a Go 630) may see a 9.x app upgrade? I'd like new features and an improved 21st century quality UI, too!

Tomtom hasn't provided any updates for the x30 line in a while (they were an early 2008 model), I'm not sure if it will ever get an update at this point.

A "free" update for an x30 means one less potential sale of a new GPS for Tomtom.

With Wal-Mart selling a One 123SE (text to speech) for $59 on Black Friday I can see why TomTom would have a hard time wanting to continue updating old devices. For the price of a map update you can get a whole new GPS. That said, I think a lot of people would continue to purchase maps and updates for a few years.

The good thing with buying a new device is access to the new features like lane assist and IQ Routes. As these features are added into the value/entry line we will continue to see prices drop.

"A "free" update for an x30 means one less potential sale of a new GPS for Tomtom."

LACK of updates for a (relatively) expensive piece of hardware after only two years makes it far less likely that I'd buy another from them.

And that's a piece of hardware that is STILL available NEW from authorized dealers.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having problems with this application/firmware?

When I install it, it installs fine, reboots fine, no problems.

Attempt to navigate to anywhere, address/postcode/city centre, the device reboots itself, I tried soft-resets (holding the button down for upto 30 seconds, the green screen appears).

I've spent a few hours messing with it in the end I'm going back to my older firmware as it actually works.

Oh, I've read that mapsettings.cfg gets corrupted, tried clearing it, tried operating my device through TomTom home, it works fine, tried adding/editing a favorite fine, tried navigating to the favorite ok.
I tried to actually navigate to an address....reboot :(

The last thing I'm going to try is to install the newest map and then install the firmware upgrade afterward....otherwise I have no idea what to do :(

"A "free" update for an x30 means one less potential sale of a new GPS for Tomtom."

LACK of updates for a (relatively) expensive piece of hardware after only two years makes it far less likely that I'd buy another from them.

And that's a piece of hardware that is STILL available NEW from authorized dealers.

I dont think you have a problem with your application. So why would these software writers sit down and fix a problem that doesnt exist?

That just makes no sense to me. Then you threaten that you'll buy a new GPS from somewhere else because your application DOESNT have problems?

So strange....Cant you just pretend there are different numbers next to the application version?

Tried the upgrade on the current Australian maps, as soon as I try and enter an address the device reboots itself.

Attempted adding a favorite which I lost through operate my TomTom in TomTom home, no difference.
I'm restoring to the old version until there is a newer 9.0xx release than 9.022 unless someone has an idea...

I dont think you have a problem with your application. So why would these software writers sit down and fix a problem that doesnt exist?

That just makes no sense to me. Then you threaten that you'll buy a new GPS from somewhere else because your application DOESNT have problems?

So strange....Cant you just pretend there are different numbers next to the application version?

The UI is inconsistent and awkward compared to modern professional standards (and the competition).
Some functions require too many needless and awkward touches, and buttons like "Done" are in different places on the screen for different features when there is no reason for it.

It has problems with blue-tooth connection stability (which may or may not be a software issue), and it sometimes crashes when connecting to a PC, requiring a pin reset.

Plus if they are looking for brand loyalty, it's always nice to have improvements in performance and new features added occasionally.

But you're right in that the app is not unusable.
So I'd be satisfied with better maps and routing.

For right now, feature for feature, Tomtom is a lot less expensive than Garmin, which was an important selling point for me, but it's looking like there may be a good reason for that.

Last edited:
Is this for the Live or the "non-live" version? I bought the live the other day because I was told it has Navcore9 and I am still on 8.5x. Does anyone know if they are planning to add navcore9 toe the entire range of devices?

Is this for the Live or the "non-live" version? I bought the live the other day because I was told it has Navcore9 and I am still on 8.5x. Does anyone know if they are planning to add navcore9 toe the entire range of devices?

Navcore 9 has only been released for the non-live 340s so far.

Seems like Tomtom has been rolling out Navcore 9 to additional models every couple of months (they just rolled it out to the START, EASE, and XXL) so hopefully the 340S-live gets it at some point.

Last edited:
so if i have the 340s non live that i bought today is my best option just to wait and see if a better update comes out thats not having so much problems cause i think i only get 1 free update right? also im running version 835.2419 so whats the lattest version out for this at this point this 9022?
Thanks

Your application can be updated as often as Tomtom publishes updates, always for free. 9.026 is the latest for the non-LIVE 340.

You get one free map update within 30 days of purchase. The next one is due in May, but probably won't be within 30 days of your purchase. So you could hold off on upgrading map 835 to the latest one until day 28 or 29 of ownership (giving leeway for system hiccups) so you get a chance of getting the free map 850. Currently the latest map is February's map 845.

Ask a Question