How do i find the firmware version

I just purchased a new TT go 720 and would like to take advantage of the speech recognition feature. I would like to know how I know what version of firmware I currently have and what versions are compatible? I did notice that when I open the 720 as an external, there is no "ASR" folder, has it been replaced or can I just create one to put the new file for speech recognition in? Thanks to all.

I just purchased a new TT go 720 and would like to take advantage of the speech recognition feature. I would like to know how I know what version of firmware I currently have and what versions are compatible? I did notice that when I open the 720 as an external, there is no "ASR" folder, has it been replaced or can I just create one to put the new file for speech recognition in? Thanks to all.

Tap the satellites on your unit. On the next screen, the version will show. It has to be 7.221. The North American map (not US & Canada) has to be 7.10 (or higher).

Do make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not TTHome and put the backup in some folder on your computer.

But, I'm surprised at the lack of a asr folder. While, indeed, that's where the support_asr.dat file goes, there should be other files in there as well.

Where can i find the satellites, i'm still a newbie? I have already made a backup of all the files but do you recommended the addition of an ASR folder or has it been replaced??? Thanks DHN.

Where can i find the satellites, i'm still a newbie? I have already made a backup of all the files but do you recommended the addition of an ASR folder or has it been replaced??? Thanks DHN.

Turn on the unit. When you get to the screen where you see the car symbol (or whatever you use), you'll see satellite bars in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Also, have you set up an account with TomTom home by registering your unit (and email address) online? You'll need to do so. If you have, I suggest you go to the site, log in, click on Support, click on Find downloads (box on right side of screen) and download the user's guide for your unit.

Once clicking under the satellites, it shows 7.010.

1. How do I upgrade the firmware version?
2. How do I know what version my US and Canada maps are?
3. After making these changes, will I be able to see an ASR folder?
4. If I don't get an ASR folder, can I create one and work from there for voice recognition?

Thanks to all.

Once clicking under the satellites, it shows 7.010.

1. How do I upgrade the firmware version?
2. How do I know what version my US and Canada maps are?
3. After making these changes, will I be able to see an ASR folder?
4. If I don't get an ASR folder, can I create one and work from there for voice recognition?

Thanks to all.

Make sure you have a backup before doing the following:
1. Connect the unit to the computer. Start TTHome. Update my TomTom. It should offer a update for your firmware. Accept it since: a) yours is out of date and b) you need the updated firmware (7.221) to get Voice Recognition to work. If it does NOT offer a firmware update, then, in TTHome, you have to go to the icon 'remove items from my tomtom' and select the operating software. You'll get a warning that your unit won't work but you need to do it. Then, goto Update my TomTom and it will download automatically the new firmware. However, I would hope the firware update will get offered the first way I mentioned.
2. After you tap the satellite bars to see the firmware version, tap the screen where you see that info and, this time, you will see what map and version number you have.

You NEED at least North America 7.10 (not US & Canada 7.10) to get VR to work. I think, from the sounds of it, you have a North America map of 7.05 or less or you have the USA & Canada map ... which won't work, regardless of the version.

Have you used the map guarantee if the unit is less than 30 days old to get a newer map? If not, do so.

While you must add the file to the asr folder, that folder also requires other files that come with the 7.10 version; you can't simply create the folder.

Let us know how it's going ...

Ask a Question