New Card Comming, What to do?

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One LE
Ok, I ordered a new sdhc 8 gig Class 6. I have the 730 with the 2gig 8.40 maps. My problem is there is no room for the expanded poi's (It bit me the other day looking for a hotel which was not in their even though the hotel was built in the 1920's) so, I have been reading here people get these cards to give the tomtom more room.. ok So I ordered one threw newegg.com but when it arrives what do I need to do with it? do I copy everything over or just the map file? do I erase anything on the tomtom internal memory? Sorry, i'm confused as to what to do.. Thanks for any help :)

Ps I wanted to add, I dont care about putting music or anything, I just want the room for poi's and voices.. Thanks

Last edited:
I'd recommend formatting it as FAT32 in a card reader before inserting in your 730. When I tried using my 4GB SDHC card right out of the package in my 730, I got read errors from both TT Home and Explorer. Once formatted, all was well. Your new card may arrive thusly formatted, but I'd do it anyway, just to be sure. Also, FWIW, I deleted the 'mp3' and 'photo' folders from the internal storage of my 730 (after first backing with Explorer!!) and now use the SD card for mp3s and recorded voices.

Also also, you can get the 835 expanded POIs onto your 730 if you a) delete any unwanted voices (I ditched the Spanish and French; NOTE- do this from HOME, not with Explorer), b) deleting the above mentioned folders, and c) move the original POI files from your device before copying over the expanded ones. Doing the above left me with about 75MB of space on my device's internal storage. Good luck!

Last edited:
The POI file goes into the specific map folder, wherever you plan to put it.

The POI file goes into the specific map folder, wherever you plan to put it.

I guess that is what i'm asking, would it be better to put the map and poi's on the card, or just move everything to it? I guess that's where my confusion lies. Also do I need to delete anything on the tomtom itself after?

8 gigs is plenty large to handle everything, map and application. For sure I'd put the map folder on the card (along with the poi.dat files in the map folder). That way you needn't worry about running into problems with an oversized (future) map. The application can stay on internal. mp3 files can go in both places, if you have that many mp3s. Just make sure you have a mp3 folder created on both internal and the card. The 730 will see both and merge them.

When you first connect to Home with the card installed, you'll be asked to select internal or sd card. Select one and update. Then, Home's Device-->Switch devices and update the other.

Then make Explorer, not Home, backups for EACH storage location to different folders on the computer.

p.s. I'd see if the 8 gig card worked out of the box before worrying about formatting as fat32.

When you have moved it to the card? Make DOUBLE SURE it is on the sdhc card and you can use it from there and then go ahead and delte it from internal. Just taking up space.

But also make sure you've made an Explorer backup of both memory locations as well.....internal and sdhc card.

I have a full Explorer backup of my tomtom now (I burned it to dvd)with the latest maps 8.40, Do I still need to make more backups?
Thanks again for your help with this!!!

As long as you have one, it's ok. Do make new Explorer backups any time you download a new application and especially if and when you download a new map.

thanks so much for all your help, I only went this way because of the poi's and voices, I don't really care to put mp3's on my device (I have an Iphone) but you never know, This card should allow me more room for all thoes thinks.. As soon as it arrives (should be any day) I will report back and let you know how I faired.. If I have any problems with the I/O issue I will format as jhansman suggested. Thanks to both of you and this great site for all your help.. 1 last question, alittle off topic, startup and shutdown screens. What are the file names you must use when creating new ones.. Thanks

FWIW, Interfacelift.com is a site where you can find a ton of really nice images (free to download and use, non-commercially) in a variety of resolutions. I typically use them as wallpaper for my desktop computer, but many are also in 480x272 (listed in the dropdown in the "Mobile" section as PSP compatible), the format for the widescreen TT devices. I've downloaded several of these as splash screens for my GO 730, and, once renamed, they work beautifully.

Ok, Card came in! I put it in the tomtom, opened explorer and copied the whole map folder to the card. Then I copied the 835 big poi files that I couldn't fit before in the maps folder on the card. Opened home and it asked me which drive to update, choose the card, it gave me the updates! Ok so far so good, went to operate my tomtom, and saw my street :) choose a random fav and it planned the route. Excellent!
then I went back into explorer and deleted the map folder off the internal memory. I rebooted the 730 and it loaded up perfect! WOOHOO! so now I have 5.71 gigs free on the card and 1.91 gigs free on the tomtom. So to sum it up...IT WORKED!!! 1 quick question though, every time I load up home it asks me which device I want to use (internal or external) is their a way to make it default to the card? Thanks for all your help!

Glad it's all working. No, that's the way the application works, it'll always ask which you want to use--internal or sd card. No big deal.

Don't forget to make Explorer backups of both internal and the card.

Ask a Question