never update maps

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
Hello All,

I heard that when you buy a new Tomtom, you will be able to update the maps in a period of 1 month, as this device could be in store for long, so they give you the ability to update it, and actually it will begin this month from the day you connect it to the internet.

My question is , if you are sure that you are running the latest maps and never connect it, will you be able to update it after a year for example if there is a new map available? and you never connect it ? also the other question will be: if you connect it to a computer that maybe connected to the internet later but not connected to the internet when u connect tomtom to it , will it register the device too?

thank you

Hello All,

I heard that when you buy a new Tomtom, you will be able to update the maps in a period of 1 month, as this device could be in store for long, so they give you the ability to update it, and actually it will begin this month from the day you connect it to the internet.

My question is , if you are sure that you are running the latest maps and never connect it, will you be able to update it after a year for example if there is a new map available? and you never connect it ? also the other question will be: if you connect it to a computer that maybe connected to the internet later but not connected to the internet when u connect tomtom to it , will it register the device too?

thank you

I believe it will only register if you try to download something via Tom Tom Home. Otherwise, if you never do that, there is no way that Tom Tom would even know that that the GPS has been purchased yet.

rob

If you wait a year, you will be a couple of models behind. They will wonder how you came to buy a unit that hadn't been in a store for months. They may then ask for proof of purchase. Who knows? Is it really worth it?

Seeing as how most people probably don't go use HOME, I'm guessing you have 1 month from the time you turn the machine on. I bet it creates a small file when you first switch the "on" button, and that file notifies HOME what date it was activated.

So is it from the first time u click on ON or you connect it?

So how they calculate the 30 days, from the day you connect it to TTHome or from the day u put it ON ?

also how many maps are released per year ? is it normal to have 3 to 4 maps per year or normaly they release only one each 2 years as i heard ?

i think for Canada they don't upgrade so much so there is no big difference between 650 and 710 , at least i can't feel it between my 510 and one 3rd edition , only in the application but not the map (I mean there is a difference for the map share and the application 6.x and 7.x) but there is no difference for streets and addresses for the map itself when you search for an address).

Thank you
Philipe

I think there is a little hole in your thought process.

Consider I bought a TT ONE V2 recently. TT asked for the serial number and told me I was not eligible for any map upgrades, as to insinuate the age of the manufactuer date was to old, no matter when I bought it without a "born on date". AND...

When I did get an upgrade after talking with a supervisor, only V675 of the US and CAN maps were offered, again to insinuate the units age was to old to offer V7.1.

Although I have heard of support reps screwing up and giving 7.1 to some ONE V2 owners.

Sounds like a craps shoot to wait.

Ask a Question