710 Never Came With Maps SD Card - Will Map Update Code Suffice?

My TT Go 510(?) (says 710 after a reboot) never came with a maps SD card (package was sold at a cheaper price...card probably stolen). I do however have a Map Update card from Best Buy with a download code. Can I use this to download a new map or is this simply to update the map that was supposed to come with the TT? As of now my TT will not ask me if I want to connect to the computer (it has a screen on it that shows the TT with a cord running out its back) and is not recognized by my computer or by TT Home. I spent many hours downloading, unzipping, and installing updates and downloads to my blank SD card to try to install on to my TT...to no avail. Is the cause of this the missing card with all the necessary information on it? If so, what are the next steps? Simply buy a map from TomTom.com and download it to an SD card, then install into my TT? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
The map activation card included in the 510 box was required back a few years when tomtom used a different activation process. You no longer need them.

You need both an application and map installed on your SD card for the device to work. The application can be obtained from Tomtom HOME for free. You have to pay for a map.

Now, all new maps are purchased through tomtom HOME and are pre-activated for your tomtom's serial number. You shouldn't need the activation card at all.

Best Buy also sells maps. What they do is sell you a card with a "promo code". You type the promo code into Tomtom HOME, and HOME will let you download the map without asking for the typical credit card payment.

FYI - the 510 and 710 are identical hardware. The 710 had a larger SD card.

So step by step:
1) Format an SD card as fat32, make sure it is not SDHC, and is preferably 2GB.
2) Stick the SD card into the tomtom, and plug the tomtom into your computer via USB, and turn the tomtom on.
3) Install tomtom home 2.6 on your computer, and choose the update my go option. Do this repeatedly until you have application 7.9 on your tomtom
4) Type in the promo code from the Best Buy card into HOME. It should let you get a free map. Download the map onto your tomtom.
5) Download a few voices from HOME, and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Ask a Question