Need Someone with x10 and NA Maps 6.60

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Can I please have someone help me with an experiment? I need someone to plan a route from Cullman, Alabama 35055 to 233 Summit Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35243. I'm interested in seeing if the TT will take I-65 South to I-20 East or if it will get off the highway at Fultondale and take Hwy 31 to Hwy 280.

Thanks.

I have a 510, with map 665, my route went I-65 to I-20 to hwy 31 to hwy 280. it was the fastest route planned.

Maybe this pic makes it clear.

Attachments

• dump170830575.jpg
    dump170830575.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 391
Well that just makes no sense. Why would 6.75 maps do a better job? One more thing if I can ask. Can you demo the route and see what the max speed is on I-65? Thanks.

do a better job then what? 6.65 and the 6.75 is a newer map then the one you have at 6.60. But they should be the same as your since these are older routes and not new roadways. the two of our maps show the same.

Interstate speeds very depending on the major cities they approach and go through., so i-65 can be 70, 65, 50 mph. mt tt doesnt list max speeds

do a better job then what? 6.65 and the 6.75 is a newer map then the one you have at 6.60. But they should be the same as your since these are older routes and not new roadways. the two of our maps show the same.

Interstate speeds very depending on the major cities they approach and go through., so i-65 can be 70, 65, 50 mph. mt tt doesnt list max speeds

I'm running a 720 with 7.10 maps. The route it gives me has me getting off at Fultondale and taking a secondary highway to connect with hwy 280. That's what I mean about the x10 with older maps giving a better route being interesting. That being said, the x10 6.75 NA maps are larger in size than the x20 7.10 maps which might mean they have more complete and detailed map data.

It's just kind of confusing. What I was curious about was how 6.60 maps, navteq maps, along with the TT routing engine would route a person on this route. When it came back that 6.75 maps, tela atles maps, gave a better route, then my 720 with 7.10 maps (also tela atlas), that question no longer needed to be answers. This is no longer an issue of navteq vs. tela atlas, but it's an issue of the level of detail in the tele atlas maps between version 6.75 for the x10 and version 7.10 for the x20.

So if you go on the theroy that the difference in routes is based on map info since both units are using the same TT routing engine, this leads me to the last variable, speed. When I run the demo, it has me going faster than allowed on highways, and slower than allowed on other roads. I wonder what speeds 6.75 maps have vs 7.10 maps for this route. From the info supplied, I would tend to believe that 6.75 maps have more accurate speed limits, thus the reason of the more accurate route. But there's only one way to check and that's for someone with 6.75 maps on a x10 watching the demo.

For people who constantly ping TT for their "bad" routing engine, this is very good news. If my theory is right, then there is nothing wrong with the TT routing engine, and the issue is the level of detail in the TA maps.

Dude, i think your putting too much into this, just use your tt and enjoy the trip, or go back to using a AAA Trip Tik. I never use the Demo, I just put in my locations and drive, the demo speeds mean nothing to me personally, maybe others use it but the demo speed is always off. The speeds in Alabama I don't believe are ever 75. 70 should be the top speeds on Interstates.

Strange, I've had my tt give me different routes depending on when I enter the destinations, must take in the time of day and possible traffic flows too!

see ya,

Missouri -- the show me state !

Speed on the I65 SB = 75 mph

(TomTom One v1 - North America Map v6.75)

Hmm...intersting. I would be interested in knowing the speeds on the non highway roads. If those are the same too, then I'm throwing my hands up and giving up trying to figure this thing out. Why would two devices made by the same company, using basically the same maps choose a different route???

Well I just had an interesting discovery. This thread first started with an issue of my TT720 routing me off a major highway on a 60 mile trip even though every single satnav, and web directions program said I should have stayed on the highway.

After having several people run demo routes using different versions of maps, map vendors, and sat navs I have come to a conclusion.

I used by backup and an SD card to load 7.05 NA maps on my TT 720. Then I asked it to route to the destination that start all this. What I discovered is that it routed my the way it should have. Going from Cullman, Al to PF Changs in Birmingham it has be take 65 to 20 to 280, the best route. Version 7.10 maps have me go 65 to Rte. 31 to 280, a less desired route. Why? Well that's a question I plan to pose to Tele Atlas. Something significant, in my estimation has changed in their maps within a minor revision.

Ask a Question