Need help updating NA map on 700

TomTom Model(s)
Go 700
I just got my new maps for my TomTom Go 700. Using Home with the 700 connected and DVD in a drive, I clicked on the North America map expecting the Upload button to work. Instead I get a message saying it needs more space? I have 1.2 GB left and the new maps are 1.4 GB. Why won't it just replace the existing map? When I try to remove the existing map it warns me that I should not do that.

Any of you have this problem with the 700? The web site won't let me enter a question, it appears to have a problem and I can't find any details on the FAQ. The lack of documentation is a bit frustrating also.

Thanks.

I believe with the older units you must delete the map first before installing the new one. Just be sure you have a backup of the older map, just in case! But you should go ahead and delete the older one, against HOME'S advice, and then install the new one.

Good luck and report back!

Thanks for the advice. This is not an old unit, it was a Christmas gift and is only a month old. I may try to call customer service.

Thanks Pedro2NR. I did do a back up, but I am not sure about deleting the existing map manually. I should not have to do that. I have been trying ot contact TomTom customer service, but get a busy when I choose the 700 line or an "all circuits" busy. I am staring to worry that TomTom customer service is no good. I've also noticed their web site won't allow me to "select a device" so I can progress to the point of sending them email. I already have one email questions that is over a month old. Is TomTom going under?

Thanks Pedro2NR. I did do a back up, but I am not sure about deleting the existing map manually. I should not have to do that. I have been trying ot contact TomTom customer service, but get a busy when I choose the 700 line or an "all circuits" busy. I am staring to worry that TomTom customer service is no good. I've also noticed their web site won't allow me to "select a device" so I can progress to the point of sending them email. I already have one email questions that is over a month old. Is TomTom going under?

When I updated my 700, I had to remove (Through TomTom Home) the old map then )Again through TomTom Home) install the new map.

Thanks Thom and others for your help. You are correct, this procedure works. I was concerned about the warnings from Home when I removed the original map.

It took about 30 minutes on hold with TomTom customer service today, but a very patient fellow told me to do just as you said. He stayed online untile I was satisfied that all was working OK.

I did as you said and deleted the North_America map on the TomTom using Home then I was able to choose the new North_America map from the DVD and now the "Upload" button was available. It was a two step process, unpacking and then installing, but it worked.

I then manually moved my mapsettings.cfg from my last backup to the new NA folder on the TomTom to restore my favorites.

Now to figure out if the satellite data is usefull on the DVD. The customer services rep said it was a "don't care", it doesn't hurt or help the 700.

Thanks again folks for the advice!

Glad you got it worked out Dennylxs. I'm also sorry to have called your unit "older". I know they still sell the 700s in the shops as well as the X10 series. My fault!

I ended up not putting the satellite imagery on mine, only because I'm not sure exactly what good it does.

No problem about the "old" 700. I did ask the customer rep about that and he said it was "last year's model", implying that it was older technology and that the 910 and 510 were more current.

I am pleased with the new map data, I did actually find a few more POI for some nearby shops that were not in the original data.

Ask a Question