Navigator 6 January 2007 upgrade... Hmph...

Alright, after some digging on TomTom's website (they certainly don't make it easy or unified), I found the January 2007 update for Navigator 6, which goes from 6.010 to 6.030:

Link...

I updated my T-Mobile MDA. Anyway, it seems that it starts up in "mute" mode -- and there's no way of setting it otherwise.

A Google search revealed that it does this when there's an active GPRS connection upon startup. Regardless, it is not a good situation.

TomTom seems to lack the presence of any changelogs or bug fix files. Any idea of the 6.010->6.030 differences? I'm considering rolling back...

Alright, after some digging on TomTom's website (they certainly don't make it easy or unified), I found the January 2007 update for Navigator 6, which goes from 6.010 to 6.030:

Link...

I updated my T-Mobile MDA. Anyway, it seems that it starts up in "mute" mode -- and there's no way of setting it otherwise.

A Google search revealed that it does this when there's an active GPRS connection upon startup. Regardless, it is not a good situation.

TomTom seems to lack the presence of any changelogs or bug fix files. Any idea of the 6.010->6.030 differences? I'm considering rolling back...

I have this same problem. Have you found a fix for it?

Is 6.030 the latest version though? I've been trying to find information on versions/changelogs of Navigator 6 and maps. TomTom Support seems to have no idea or just want to keep it a secret? :)

The lack of change/fix logs seems to be common with TomTom across their entire product range. I think it's because they're mostly a hardware company (the GO products), so they don't do things like what we've come to expect from software companies. Even the TomTom Home app doesn't have a change log.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I've got this same version running on my Sprint Mogul and every time I start the program I have to go to preferences and turn on the sound. It doesn't actually take it the first time, so I have to do it twice before the sound is unmuted. This is very annoying.

. . . and every time I start the program I have to go to preferences and turn on the sound. It doesn't actually take it the first time, so I have to do it twice before the sound is unmuted. This is very annoying.

I get this same behavior from my Treo 700wx. It's the only "feature" I find more annoying than the legal disclaimer screen. :mad:

I know some guys at treocentral.com have done some really cool things with a free program called mortscript.
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=138303&highlight=fun+mortscript
It runs in the background and can do lots of things like simulate keystrokes, change the LED color/speed and turn the keyboard backlight on and off. Unfortunately, I stopped programming with LOGO in first grade. :eek: Anyone know how to write simple codes?

I've got the muted sound issue as well. :(

However, the 6.030 update does greatly improve the screen refresh on my HTC Advantage PPC. But the first thing I noticed in this update was the different splash screen.

Interesting...

I got the GPS Navigator package for Christmas this year, and it came with version 6.000 (Palm OS version). TomTom Home swore there was no update available, but I eventually found the 6.030 update on Palm's website.

I'm using it on a 700p so I don't "need" the update according to Palm, but since the 6.010 update doesn't seem to be available anywhere, I went ahead and downloaded it and installed it.

So far it seems to be working just fine -- and I don't have the mute problem. Is that a PPC-only issue?

Can anyone explain TomTom's position on map updates? I hate the thought that I might be forever stuck using a map that's now more than 18 months old...

Can anyone explain TomTom's position on map updates? I hate the thought that I might be forever stuck using a map that's now more than 18 months old...
The way TomTom has been producing Navigator map updates is to also come out with a new major version of Navigator. Navigator 6 came out early last year I think, so hopefully we should be getting a new Navigator version soon, and that will come with TomTom's current maps.

I guess one could always call TomTom as well, and see if any map updates are available. But my above explanation is what I've experienced. But calling might be a good idea on your part as the map upgrade should be free for you (if it's available) since you just got the Navigator software.

The "standard" seems to be that you get application updates for free, but need to pay for the maps. This is where things get tricky for some people.

The current Navigator 6 software(6.030 is what I got for my Palm) supports maps up to version 675. There are newer maps out there, but we do not have the option to even buy them because they will not work with our version of the application.

With Navigator 7 versions, the "map share" feature has been added. From talking to support, in order for map share to work you MUST have version 675 or later maps. I hope(but do not know) if older maps will work with the new version 7 applications though.

There is a "rumor" going around that version 7 for the Palm and possibly other devices will be released in February, though how the new version will be released is unknown. It may be a simple update via Tomtom Home, which will hopefully auto-update from the current 1.5 version to version 2.1 or whichever version is available at that point. Note that 1.5 does NOT support map share as far as I can tell.

My hope at this point is that map share will significantly improve the quality of maps here in the USA, but only time will tell. I also want the point of interest updates since there are MANY of them that are missing from my area.

Anyway, I hope this information helps, and I guess we will see in another month or two if the new application does become available.

Rambler and Targonis: Thanks to both of you for the information.

I think I'll try giving them a call next week and see if I can get any useful information out of them. Having to buy an updated map because my new purchase came with an old disc seems unreasonable to me, but what do I know? <grin>

What I've read about the "map share" sounds good. It would be nice if we could get an upgrade to version 7 if/when they actually put it out. And I would hope that if we bought an upgrade to version 7, we would get whatever maps are current at that time.

Agreed on the points of interest. In less than a week of use, I've already found three subway stations and one movie theatre missing from the POIs I've got.

Parenthetically, Navigator 6 came out in June of '06, since that's what the file dates on my disc show. A bit of web searching shows that the 6.010 update came out around this time last year. So yeah, I'd say we're about due for a major update. Fingers crossed!

As I said, the trend is that we will get the application update, so we will have all the new stuff EXCEPT the maps, and the old maps should in theory work, but it remains to be seen.

If you buy updated maps after the version 7 application becomes available(normally free upgrade), then you will be getting the version 7 maps, and have all features as well.

There could still be a free map upgrade as well for those who purchased recently or something, but I don't know, and only time will tell.

Rambler and Targonis: Thanks to both of you for the information.

I think I'll try giving them a call next week and see if I can get any useful information out of them. Having to buy an updated map because my new purchase came with an old disc seems unreasonable to me, but what do I know? <grin>

What I've read about the "map share" sounds good. It would be nice if we could get an upgrade to version 7 if/when they actually put it out. And I would hope that if we bought an upgrade to version 7, we would get whatever maps are current at that time.

Agreed on the points of interest. In less than a week of use, I've already found three subway stations and one movie theatre missing from the POIs I've got.

Parenthetically, Navigator 6 came out in June of '06, since that's what the file dates on my disc show. A bit of web searching shows that the 6.010 update came out around this time last year. So yeah, I'd say we're about due for a major update. Fingers crossed!

Well, that was useless

Finally got organized enough to call support. I was told:

1) Maps are updated every year and a half to two years.
2) The current map is 675.
3) But I don't need an upgrade from 650 to 675 because the only difference is in the POIs.
4) New map will be out around October.

And no suggestion that there might be a Navigator v7 in the future -- I didn't ask, but he definitely only talked about maps, not the software.

Finally got organized enough to call support. I was told:

1) Maps are updated every year and a half to two years.
2) The current map is 675.
3) But I don't need an upgrade from 650 to 675 because the only difference is in the POIs.
4) New map will be out around October.

And no suggestion that there might be a Navigator v7 in the future -- I didn't ask, but he definitely only talked about maps, not the software.

You must have talked to a rep that didn't know much then, because I got quite a bit more information out of the rep that I talked to.

The "final" map that will work with Navigator 6 is the 675 map version. If you read the different forums, you would see that there are clearly map versions upwards of 700, but these require Navcore 7(Navigator 7's core application).

Map version 675 is compatible with Mapshare, so if you buy 675 now, we WILL get Mapshare functionality once Navigator 7 becomes available for our device.

Because of the advantages that Map Share offers, the maps SHOULD get more updates more and more quickly over time from this point going forward. That is the thing that I am really looking forward to.

I know I am probably the only Tomtom user here, but the lack of POIs for my area is driving me crazy. There is an entire area near where I live called Wainscott, NY, and there are almost NO POIs in the 675 maps in that area.

<heh>

Yeah, that's why I titled my last post "That was useless".

I rather doubt that the only difference between 650 and 675 is the POIs, given the size difference, but it's not worth the 35 pounds (almost U$70!) to try it.

At this point, I'm just going to hang loose and see what happens. If they ever do release a V7, I'll look at the upgrade cost for software and/or maps, and make a decision then whether to upgrade or move to a dedicated unit that offers a "current maps" guarantee.

S.

Mute on Startup

...I updated my T-Mobile MDA. Anyway, it seems that it starts up in "mute" mode -- and there's no way of setting it otherwise.

A Google search revealed that it does this when there's an active GPRS connection upon startup. Regardless, it is not a good situation...

To unmute the sound, all you have to do is flick the jogwheel (or in the case of the MDA, I suspect, the volume control) and the sound is on. No biggie.

Ask a Question