My TT stolen by U.S Custom

Just a comment, but the title ...stolen by U.S. Customs is somewhat prejudicial! In fact US Customs are generally not the ones that are interested in something travelling from Chicago to Montreal, but Canada Customs are!

My point is that the Security screeners may well have seen it in XRays but US Customs don't normally check outbound stuff.

As far as I know, there are also scanners in the handling areas for inbound so the theft could have occurred elsewhere.

I have found no hassles in taking a TT in carry-on. It's not really any worse than a PDA or cell phone. Because many have bluetooth many airline staff don't like them turned on during the flight, even at cruise, though (unless BT enabled) there is no transmitter in them.
Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

^ I absolutely agree, if you're going to blame customs, you have to blame Canadian customs. I suspect you're angry - as you have every right to be - and just venting about the US.

You carrier has specific responsibility for items in your luggage. The laws in the US allow less of a refund than international law so you need to see what the Canadian law is and if you were travelling on a Canadian carrier. It doesn't matter how you paid for your ticket, you still have rights under international law. You should be able to find their policy on the airlines web site.

It is very unfortunate that something like this happens and I think that to imply he was asking for it is unfair. I fly to Canada, and to many cities in the states several times a year and have had no problems. However, I do put all of my electronics in my carryon or in my computer bag. I haven't had any problems from the flight crew about using a GPS on the plane. In fact, on one flight, a flight attendant took the GPS over to a window so it could get a satellite fix and then brought it back to me.

"Modite marde" (french swore) we are at the point that we must take pictures of our suite case before leaving home. Grrrrrr

About canadian costum, if a person come to USA it will be checked by US and if you go to Canada it will be Canadian costum, I don't know what way he was when he got it lost.

Anyway thanks for telling us, we all know now.

Last edited:
I just checked both the United and Air Canada websites and they have forms that must be filled out in order to receive any attention from them. However, they absolutely do have a system for you to report theft or loss. Don't know what airline you were flying but at least the two that I just checked have that type of reporting system. Just go to the appropriate airline web site and look around for customer service. I think you owe it to yourself and others to register a complaint that you feel is legitimate.

About canadian costum, if a person come to USA it will be checked by US and if you go to Canada it will be Canadian costum, I don't know what way he was when he got it lost.

And yet US blames Canada for letting terrorists into the US. :rolleyes:

Keep TT in your carry-on

I agree with everyone who asked, "Why did you pack it in your CHECKED baggage?" Keep ALL your valuables in your CARRY-ON luggage... wallet, IDs, credit cards, jewelry, GPS units, etc.

According to TT...if your TT is stolen and you report it to them....they will flag the SN...making it so that it can't be updated. They're hope is that the person who has your TT will call them to report a problem, they will tell the person that it needs repair and to send it in. When they receive it they notify the true owner and send it to them. It's a nice way to try to recover stolen property. Hope this helps.

I agree with everyone who asked, "Why did you pack it in your CHECKED baggage?" Keep ALL your valuables in your CARRY-ON luggage... wallet, IDs, credit cards, jewelry, GPS units, etc.

Note to self: take the train.

I usually check my GPS unit. Why? Well, let's see... I've got my laptop with me so that has to come out of my carry-on, shoes need to be in a separate bin (though sometimes I get away with draping my coat over my shoes), liquids have to be out and available for visual inspection, my boarding pass has to stay in my hand, belt comes off, watch comes off, film cameras now have to be in my carry-on, video camera has to come out too... sheesh whatever I don't need on the plane I'm better off checking through, aren't I?

...but from this thread, maybe not. :( Remember the good ol' days when you could lock your luggage containing valuables?

Ask a Question