Stolen TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
One, second Edition
My new Start 25 EU was stolen recently never to be found I guess.
Whoever has it now, may try to register or log onto the website to upgrade (or whatever) the maps.
As the device was already registered against my email address etc. is it possible to trace its' whereabouts from the serial number or any other information that TomTom may be holding in my name. I guess that it may be only an email address which of course may not be definitive.
I did report the theft to the Police and perhaps they may be able to get the information not available to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
TT certainly knows a lot about your (NAV3 model) TomTom whenever you connect it to MyTomTom.
But I'm not convinced they would be able to tell anything about the persons location or identity unless they tried to re-register it in their own name or email address.

Any location info is anonymised before it's sent over the air, if you have a Live model, but that doesn't apply to yours.

I think it might be worth calling TT Customer Services on
0845 161 0009

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

I'm afraid there is no easy way to track the device (don't believe all the stuff you see in TV shows).

If the thief tried to register the device using a new email address, there would be an automated response from TomTom's servers saying the device doesn't match the email address entered. But the user might be given the option to register the device to the new email address anyway.

In theory, if the device is less than 6 months old, the user would be prevented from changing the email address for the device without contacting customer support. I doubt very much that there is a database of stolen devices that Tomtom can match serial numbers of new registrants against.

That said, I suppose you could call CS at 0845 161 0009 or 020 7387 5444 and see if they will take your information down.

FWIW, though the data is 'anonymized' on Live models, what is NOT prevented for Live models (at least here in the U.S., and I suspect in Europe as well) and cannot be controlled by TomTom is a court warrant for the cellular provider's connection data to the device which CAN be identified by the SIM ID of the device. If one wanted, one could roughly triangulate on the device knowing only the correct SIM ID. Getting anybody to bother with the time/effort required to perform that kind of activity for a PND is a non-starter, though.

Alas, a MUCH lower profile career than that, dhn... for which I am frankly most thankful. Real flying lead was an issue exactly once, and that was more than sufficient.

However, it appears that my good looks and winning personality are about to buy me a new local gig as a part-timer. More elsewhere and later.

At least in the US you will not get much law enforcement interest and/or effort unless the traceable wayward unit is associated with a serious felony crime such as a murder or kidnapping.

Actually, I'm just recalling that since the Jones decision on GPS trackers a year ago, the feds have been approaching the carriers for tracking information with no warrant at all. Never mind that other comment above.

Ask a Question