Serial number for stolen TomTom

I came out to my care yesterday and I found my passenger window smashed and my Tomtom one 3rd edition stolen. I had it hidden under the seat and the mount on the window. Just when I got it all tricked out the way I want it. I do have the security code on so maybe they will not be able to use it.

Anyways, is there anyway that I can find out the serial number for the unit via TomTom home? I have the unit backed up on my laptop. I did register the unit when I first opened it, but now I cannot find where I wrote down the number.

Thanks for any help.

This applies to my 920, but I'm not sure about your model:

Open the TTGO.BIF file from your backup using notepad or some other text editor. The 4th line should start with "DeviceSerialNumber".

I came out to my care yesterday and I found my passenger window smashed and my Tomtom one 3rd edition stolen. I had it hidden under the seat and the mount on the window. Just when I got it all tricked out the way I want it. I do have the security code on so maybe they will not be able to use it.

Anyways, is there anyway that I can find out the serial number for the unit via TomTom home? I have the unit backed up on my laptop. I did register the unit when I first opened it, but now I cannot find where I wrote down the number.

Thanks for any help.

You could........but only with the unit connected, which isn't possible in your situation. Do you still have the original packaging? It's there beside the bar code.

This applies to my 920, but I'm not sure about your model:

Open the TTGO.BIF file from your backup using notepad or some other text editor. The 4th line should start with "DeviceSerialNumber".

Michael- You are da man!!! Just the info that I wanted. I have the tomtom one 3rd ed and the serial nuber was in that file....Thanks

Sorry to hear about the theft Littman. Hope you get it back.

This got me thinking. If I ever need this information, I noticed that if I open HOME with my TomTom connected, click on 'Help' pull-down, then click 'System Information', you'll see all the important data on your unit (including the S/N which is very hard to read on the bottom of the unit). Then I click 'copy to clipboard' and pasted it into an email to myself. This way I'll have a copy of that data.

I'm an auto tech and have replaced 4 windows on vehicules in the past 2 months for this very reason.

IMPORTANT not to leave any hint of a GPS in the car. I think we're at the point where we even have to clean our windshields of the little circle mark.

It's a sad world we live in :( .

Also, don't leave your windshield mount up! Not only does it clue thieves in to the fact that you have a GPS device, but over time it will warp the mount, and you'll find you have problems keeping it on the glass.

It's recommended that any time you leave the car, take the mount off and take the GPS unit with you, as extreme temperatures will cause it damage that isn't covered by the warranty.

Also, if the police are unable to recover your unit, get a police report and call Tom Tom support for a Customer Loyalty offer.

This is one of the most common questions asked about stolen units. The Tom Tom is a GPS receiver only - it doesn't emit any signal. Therefore, it is untraceable in any way - including disabling it.

There is a feature that I've never used before that I might have to start using.

There is a "Set Owner" option in preferences. It says you can enter a 4 digit password. What does this do? Will it prevent someone from using the TT without the code? If so, a thief may steal it but won't be able to use it.

There is a feature that I've never used before that I might have to start using.

There is a "Set Owner" option in preferences. It says you can enter a 4 digit password. What does this do? Will it prevent someone from using the TT without the code? If so, a thief may steal it but won't be able to use it.

Not that difficult to override and if you forget the password and can't override, you will need to send the unit to TomTom for resetting.

That's right. But it doesn't prevent your unit from getting stolen, does it. The thief will just toss it in the trash. But from your end, it's gone, password or not.

Also be aware that if you enter a password and then forget it, you will probably have to send your unit into TomTom to get fixed.

Personally, I don't see much use for this feature.

That's right. But it doesn't prevent your unit from getting stolen, does it. The thief will just toss it in the trash. But from your end, it's gone, password or not.

Also be aware that if you enter a password and then forget it, you will probably have to send your unit into TomTom to get fixed.

Personally, I don't see much use for this feature.

It may depend on how you look at it. I just spent $250 on my TT. If a thief steals it, you are out of $250 no matter what. If it works properly, hey he just got $250, but if he can't get it to work then he didn't gain anything.

Last edited:
Noob......

May I request you edit your post to take the solution out of it .... for obvious reasons. Yes, I know the info is on the web but we needn't broadcast the information here, I think.

Is there any way TomTom can render the stolen GPS useless???

Call TT tech support and ask to have the product code blocked. The PC is a 15 character code that is provided on a card in the box. This may not do anything but if the device has a problem down the road, where it askes for an activation code, this will render the map unusable and require the user to purchase a new map. The block will also have a notation that the unit is stolen.:cool:

They can't "block" product codes. Realistically, they don't have a way to look up specific product codes. They can generate the product code for a device code, but not the other way around.

The only logical way a potential thief is going to be blocked from Tom Tom services is in the instance where he needs to provide a PoP (proof of purchase).

I had my TomTom 3rd stolen last night. I did have the security code set and I'm wondering how hard is it to override it.

Is the unit basically useless? None of the posts make that clear.

Does the hard reset button on the bottom of the unit reset the Security Code option as well?

I had it hidden along with the mount, but they went for the radio and tore the car apart while already in it.

I did get a smirk on my face when I remembered about the security code, but I'm curious if it will hold up or not.

More than likely the thief will lose patience before he's able to crack the password.

Not that it matters, it's not as though he stole it to use it. It's just a quick $75 for him.

Ask a Question