My TT stolen by U.S Custom

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Ok im pretty pissed and i dont want to transit by the U.S anymore... my TT was wrapped into 2 pair of sock in the middle of my check-in baggage and when i opened it back home its had dissapeared from the luggage along with the pairs of socks that was around it.

That mean a baggage Screener must have took it at chicago O'Hare because it was impossible to tell it was in there exept than seeing it with x-ray.... im pretty pissed and there is nothing i can do about it

There is no way to describe my anger... and make me thing: if its so easy to steal from me... how easy is to tell to place a bomb into my lugguage... how a guy can finish is work from a restricted area with new electronic gear in his pocket without anybody noticing, i read onine many many story of people getting stolen all around U.S airport... *(@#&()*@#&)(@#

It happens (baggage handlers/TSA stealing things) more than you expect. I hate checking baggage that has anything of interest in it.

But anyway.

If you bought your plane ticket with a credit card, your bags might be protected from theft and loss. My visa signature card has automatic baggage protection. I would call them and ask them what they can do. You will have to fill out a police report maybe, sign some paper work stating your issue and show a receipt of the purchase.

This does not make it ok for those losers to steal your stuff, but it might help to get a TT back to you.

First you have to prove it was in your suitcase, which is a hard thing to do. You are just out of luck. Second why did you check it, instead of having it in your carry on bag?

It happens (baggage handlers/TSA stealing things) more than you expect. I hate checking baggage that has anything of interest in it.

But anyway.

If you bought your plane ticket with a credit card, your bags might be protected from theft and loss. My visa signature card has automatic baggage protection. I would call them and ask them what they can do. You will have to fill out a police report maybe, sign some paper work stating your issue and show a receipt of the purchase.

This does not make it ok for those losers to steal your stuff, but it might help to get a TT back to you.

One more thing you might consider is if you have regerstersd it with TomTom and you advise TomTom of this they can flag your SN.
This person will then have trouble updating anything. I know this doesn't get your unit back but hopefully you had insurance that wil replace it. Just a thought

That is a good idea. That way it is worthless to the person who took it. I will have to remember that if mine was ever stolen.

First you have to prove it was in your suitcase, which is a hard thing to do. You are just out of luck. Second why did you check it, instead of having it in your carry on bag?

It's sad that we have to assume that anything of value will be stolen if you put it in your checked bag. The question should not be, why did you check it?. But, why is the real objective of the people who are supposed to be protecting us, to rob us blind?

Why would you assume it was the Customs/TSA agents that stole it? Chances are it was a baggage handler. That stuff happens every day. Bottom line is, keep valueable items on your person.

Use a carry-on

As an experienced traveller, I never put anything of value in my checked luggage. I always take a carry-on with me for my valuable items and medications. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

Why would you assume it was the Customs/TSA agents that stole it? Chances are it was a baggage handler. That stuff happens every day. Bottom line is, keep valueable items on your person.

the reason im pretty sure its not a baggage handler its because i but the GPS inside a sock, but another on top and another one... so it was a big chunk of socks hidden in the middle of a big lugguage... so the person must have seen it on x-ray, will have been impossible to tell it was electronics inside.

i though just to not carry it with me cause of the fact of bringing a GPS on board might have botter them, and since clearing U.S custom is already a pain in the ass and didnt to make it more complicated

as for the insurance, i just had medical travel insurance, and i paid my ticket cash.. so no luck on this side to

so what ? now i called TT to flag it... but what they gonna do, just block that person out of Home ? can they actually track it and recovered it for me.... i doubt it... anyway be careful at Chicago Ohare

the reason im pretty sure its not a baggage handler its because i but the GPS inside a sock, but another on top and another one... so it was a big chunk of socks hidden in the middle of a big lugguage... so the person must have seen it on x-ray, will have been impossible to tell it was electronics inside.

i though just to not carry it with me cause of the fact of bringing a GPS on board might have botter them, and since clearing U.S custom is already a pain in the ass and didnt to make it more complicated

as for the insurance, i just had medical travel insurance, and i paid my ticket cash.. so no luck on this side to

so what ? now i called TT to flag it... but what they gonna do, just block that person out of Home ? can they actually track it and recovered it for me.... i doubt it... anyway be careful at Chicago Ohare
Thieves know what to look for, and a balled up sock in luggage would draw curiosity I'm sure. Bringing a GPS on a plane is no big deal if you keep it turned off and out of sight. Be careful everywhere!

You must report it. It doesnt matter if nothing gets done and you never receive your tomtom back. If you dont report it, it doesnt get counted as a statistic and its like it never happened. There are officers who work airport theft cases and they do treat these cases seriously. They will eventually do an investigation, especially if a TSA agent was involved.

Obviously, you don't get around much.

Nor must you be very well read on airline travel

To have packed anything of significant value is a WORLDWIDE no-no.

To have even suggested this is unique to the U.S. , further demonstrates your ignorance.

Last edited:
Obviously, you don't get around much.

Nor must you be very well read on airline travel

To have packed anything of significant value is a WORLDWIDE no-no.

To have even suggested this is unique to the U.S. , further demonstrates your ignorance.

Kind of a harsh statement?

Kind of a harsh statement?

Ya think ???

QUOTE=dcourteau

"i dont want to transit by the U.S anymore"

"That means a baggage Screener must have took it at Chicago O'Hare"

Actually, don't think I was out of line [harsh] at all. Nope.....not at all.

I'm no fan of Chicago, especially O'Hare. There's also a very good reasons to not transit the US. The finger printing, retina scans and visa requirements for transiting foreign nationals alone is enough. But blaming the lost gps on the TSA in Chicago seems odd, there's a million places it could have been stolen. Was there a note in your suitcase saying they inspected your bags?

I'm no fan of Chicago, especially O'Hare. There's also a very good reasons to not transit the US. The finger printing, retina scans and visa requirements for transiting foreign nationals alone is enough. But blaming the lost gps on the TSA in Chicago seems odd, there's a million places it could have been stolen. Was there a note in your suitcase saying they inspected your bags?
Good point

This happens all over the world. My sister lost a digital camera in the UK. No airport is any better than the other. There are thieving scumbags everywhere.
You should report it. My sister did. She never got her camera back, but some months later she got a letter from the Police saying that the had caught a group stealing items to order.
I never put anything valueable in my checked baggage. It comes in the cabin with me.

Boardboy

This happens all over the world. My sister lost a digital camera in the UK. No airport is any better than the other. There are thieving scumbags everywhere.
You should report it. My sister did. She never got her camera back, but some months later she got a letter from the Police saying that the had caught a group stealing items to order.
I never put anything valueable in my checked baggage. It comes in the cabin with me.

Boardboy
And there you have it, folks. The voice of reason has spoken!

Just a comment, but the title ...stolen by U.S. Customs is somewhat prejudicial! In fact US Customs are generally not the ones that are interested in something travelling from Chicago to Montreal, but Canada Customs are!

My point is that the Security screeners may well have seen it in XRays but US Customs don't normally check outbound stuff.

As far as I know, there are also scanners in the handling areas for inbound so the theft could have occurred elsewhere.

I have found no hassles in taking a TT in carry-on. It's not really any worse than a PDA or cell phone. Because many have bluetooth many airline staff don't like them turned on during the flight, even at cruise, though (unless BT enabled) there is no transmitter in them.

Ask a Question