Stolen TT GO730

My GO 730 got stolen from my car over the weekend:mad:. Called Tom Tom customer support if they can help by disabling the device or track it but I've got a negative answer to that. Is there anything I can do to find it or disabling it for privacy reasons?

Your TomTom only received signals, not send them. Other than a police report, really nothing else you can do. It can't be tracked. Sad that there's people who feel entitled to what you worked for. :(

Your TomTom only received signals, not send them. Other than a police report, really nothing else you can do. It can't be tracked. Sad that there's people who feel entitled to what you worked for. :(
Could be done with other models, though, but you can bet it won't.

Even with a unit that does transmit (e.g., all of the Live series), it's unlikely to ever happen. While TomTom could certainly add the firmware to make such a system work, I'm sure they won't want to get involved in the cost and hassles of warrants and police departments that would be necessary to actually activate that kind of code remotely. And unless the stolen unit also happens to be mounted in your stolen car, police don't often go to great lengths to find stolen goods of that value.

To the OP: One of the reasons we don't recommend that you set your "Home" position too precisely - the nearest major intersection should do - is for the reasons of privacy that concern you. If no one knows who you are, they really can't tie the content of your TomTom to you. If "Home" is your driveway, however...

Last edited:
Actually, I posted a simple method for tracking your TomTom 740 Live device several months ago. Make sure you connect with at least one "Buddy". If your 740 walks off, then your "Buddy" may be able to see where it is (if it's in use).

I have a similar service on my Droid. It does require a cellular connection. You "opt in" to allow the service to poll your phone for geo-location using it's gps function. AGPS isn't quite precise enough (yet?) for fine location.

re: stolen gps

Great idea Gatorguy on tracking 740 Live! I believe the GPS theft would be drastically curbed if they could be disabled like cell phones. You know, TOM TOM could send a comand based on the serial number of the device and disable the gps chip. Of course the gps could be used as keyboard for phone texting or as a mp3 player among others.

Ask a Question