My TT One 130 ownership experience (5/4/08 - 5/6/08 R.I.P.)

CliffsNotes: Bought a TT One 130, the speaker was defective. Got a replacement, the GPS reception died within a few hours. Got a third replacement , the speaker was defective again. Even one of the store demo units had defective speaker. Gave up and bought a garmin.

So I will be moving pretty soon and I decided to get a bare bones GPS system (my first) to avoid having a miserable time during my first few weeks. After doing a bit of online research I decided to buy a TT One 3rd edition. I went to the local retailer and saw that they already replaced the old 3rd ed. with 130s so I ignored the price difference and bought a 130. Here is the comment that I left yesterday a gpsreview.net article about the new 130,130S,330 etc.

I just bought a TT 130 from the local [snip, see comment policy](*) because of an upcoming cost to coast move. Every functionality works reasonably well so far. The new mount is actually an advantage in my car (ford focus) since it can be tucked inside a small change pocket in the dash which makes the unit much more accessible compared to a windshield mount one. I have one HUGE gripe though. The speaker is simply pathetic. I can’t hear it over the relatively quite factory stereo (4/30 volume, 60 mph at highway). The nuvi 200 I looked at the store was much louder with better response speed to map redraws and more attractive looking , clear maps.
Tim, the site admin, responded:
Guclu - Something is strange there. I have a TomTom 130 and a Garmin Nuvi 200 with me right now, with a microphone connected to each to measure the speaker volume. With both set at 100% volume, the TomTom 130 is 22% louder than the Nuvi 200. The map refresh rate is also clearly faster on the TomTom 130. The 130’s map refreshes about four to five times per second while the Nuvi 200 refreshes about twice per second. Something doesn’t sound right with the 130 you looked at.
After going back to the store(*) I wrote this:
Tim, you were right. I went back to the retail store and compared the speaker volumes of the nuvi 200 and TT 130 again. The TT 130 they had on display was significantly lauder/better sounding then mine, which is weird because the one that they had on display yesterday (if it was a different unit) sounded just like mine (bad). We fiddled with both mine and the display unit and mine kept sounding bad and that one sounded just fine (even with full resets on both). Not to make the story any longer , I have a new TT 130 now and I think there might be a systemic defect with some units.

Now, the speaker in this unit was doing just fine, although the GPS signal was a little weak compared to the first one. I didn't think much of it. This morning I started it up and .. nothing .. It wont acquire the GPS signal after 5 minutes outside the car, with a clear view of the sky in all directions. I drove around a bit, reset it to factory defaults with no luck. I drove to another branch of the same store(**) this time and got my 3rd (2nd replacement) unit. Knowing that I had to test it immediately, I went back to my car , started the unit up and was rewarded with a very strong signal and..... another defective speaker. The employees at the second store were baffled about the speaker as well. So after my third try I gave up and bought a nuvi 200.

I really liked the TT 130. I has lots of useful extra features and a better mounting system for my car. But I looked at a total of 3 demo and 3 off the shelf units. All but two of the demo units were defective (3 bad speakers and 1 dead GPS reception). That is 67% failure rate. Needless to say I am quite frustrated by the whole experience. They may be having difficulties with the first batch but c'mon.

So those of you who are about to but one of these, please test ASAP after the purchase.

Guclu

(*) - Circuit City on Akers Mill Rd @ Atlanta
(**) - Circuit City at Perimeter , Atlanta

Last edited:
Sorry about the bad experience. That is strange about those bad products. Seems to be a bad lot.

Thanks for letting us know about your experience so new owners may also test their units.

Ask a Question