My Tomtom locks up on Start Screen

Hi, I was downloading updates to my tomtom, when I disconnected from my computer my tomtom didn't get any signal so I did a restore thinking the updates may have messed something up, and since then when I turn on the tomtom it locks up on the start screen and I can't turn if off, only way to turn off is by using the reset button. When i switch it on tomtom locks up again. Only way what stops it from locking on the start screen is when the tomtom is connected to the pc, it stays on the download screen and I can get to the files from the pc as it does connect to the pc.

Do I need to delete some files or something?

Anyone know what?s happening?

Thanks for any help. I really need the tomtom working for tomorrow as i'm going away.

james

Hi, I was downloading updates to my tomtom, when I disconnected from my computer my tomtom didn't get any signal so I did a restore thinking the updates may have messed something up, and since then when I turn on the tomtom it locks up on the start screen and I can't turn if off, only way to turn off is by using the reset button. When i switch it on tomtom locks up again. Only way what stops it from locking on the start screen is when the tomtom is connected to the pc, it stays on the download screen and I can get to the files from the pc as it does connect to the pc.

Do I need to delete some files or something?

Anyone know what?s happening?

Thanks for any help. I really need the tomtom working for tomorrow as i'm going away.

james

I'm having the same problem with a tomtom one 3rd Edition, and a tomtom One XL ....any solution for our problem?

If there is no specific reset hole (marked) on the bottom of the unit, then that model requires the holding down of the power on button for about 15 seconds.

I have a tomtom 125. It will only boot up to a white screen. I didn't figure making a new thread would help, but if I need to let me know and I will. It worked just fine yesteday. Today it won't boot past a white screen. I have done the 15-second reset and that has 0 effect on it other than restarting it and having it make some sort of sound. It is charged fully. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded a couple startup screens directly from the Home program, but I have since deleted these and done the 15-second reset again. No luck. When my device is plugged into my computer, I can see all the files, delete/add/move just like any removable device. The program works and is able to back up and such as well. Should I just take it back? I got it 3 days ago. It worked great yesterday...

I came across this: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

and I followed it step for step. Now the computer will not even recognize the TomTom...

I ended up reseting it a couple more times, plugging and unplugging from the computer. When it finally recognized it again, it installed the HOME program once again, then stayed on the white screen. I reset it another couple of times and unplugged/plugged into the computer and it started working again. Maybe the key was that I finally unplugged the usb cable from the TomTom and not the computer? Not sure, but it seems to be working now. Just posting this for anyone who might come across this problem.

Last edited:
Well, good news, then.

Make sure you've made a full Explorer, not Home, back up and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Also, make sure when you disconnect the unit from the computer, you do it properly using Home's Device disconnect if you have the latest (2.56) version of Home and wait till it says it is ok to disconnect.

Bah Humbug.

Woke up today, went to show my parents that I fixed their gift....BOOM white screen again. This is awfully tilting. Charging now in the car for 2 hours on some off-chance it is in fact not charged or something. Will probably end up returning it, although punting it towards a moving car on the highway sounds fun too.

Ask a Question