TomTom730 Locks up on startup image

Hello, my 730 locks up on the start-up image then reboots itself after about 1 minute and locks up on the start up image permanently. The only way to shut it off is through the reset button. If i Connect it to the computer it will start up tomtom home and I can go through the options, but when I go to operate my device through the computer it gets no satellite signal at all, and if I check satellite or battery status a "demo" icon flashes below the battery charge indicator.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Welcome to TTF.

Don't worry about what the emulator shows regarding a gps signal or a battery indicator. They are just simulations.

Have you downloaded a new startup image lately?

When you are not connected to the computer and do a pin reset on the unit and then start it up, do you have the problem?

If so, try this:

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Restore the Explorer backup.

Does that help?

Thanks DHN, the format thing worked to a large degree. Now the unit functions well as a gps, plus it seems to be running faster, so there must have been a few corruptions in the system before the major crash. My only complaint about it now would be, that if I attempt to set up the blue-tooth phone as soon as I hit yes to activate Bluethooth, the whole freeze-up happens again and I have to reformat and install my software. Any suggestions?

Edit: It also freezes up when I hit the "enable Bluethooth" Button in the preferences menu

Thanks again

Last edited:

Ask a Question