My Mapshare Updates Don't

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
This isn't a 720 specific question, but as it's happening on my 720 and I don't see complaints elsewhere...

In the last couple of days, I've made two changes, one based upon a street that shows as a dead end but actually continues, and one street that is actually a dead end being blocked by a building. The former instance has been corrected three times now to no avail.

I've told TTHome to always share my updates, and it always thanks me for my "contributions" during updates. I've told TTHome that I want "my own" updates included along with those of "TT verified" and "trusted" and "many".

I've made the map corrections and "saved" them on the 720. For example, on the road that doesn't continue on their map, I've given point A and point B and the street name, and advised that it's a regular 2-way road always open to normal traffic.

My own unit doesn't show this change immediately (not sure if it is supposed to), nor does it ever appear after receiving these changes during updates via TTHome when the unit is docked and updated.

Where are my changes going? Should I necessarily have to wait for them to be processed through MapShare before they even appear on my own unit?

After three times making the same change, I would have expected it to finally appear -- at least on my own 720 -- by now.

Same here. Does anyone have the answer? I've made the same corrections but nothing has updated on my TT.

In your case of the street that needs to continue, you cannot actually draw any new street or part of a street with mapshare. your changes are merely indications to tomtom that there is a problem they need to correct in a new map version.

if the other way around and you were blocking that section instead of trying to add it, the blocked section would show up immediately.

any added street does not show up.

In your case of the street that needs to continue, you cannot actually draw any new street or part of a street with mapshare. your changes are merely indications to tomtom that there is a problem they need to correct in a new map version.

if the other way around and you were blocking that section instead of trying to add it, the blocked section would show up immediately.

Hmmm... that bites. One would think that such changes would at least be incorportated "locally". How long TT takes to sort it out for the rest of the world isn't my immediate concern.

They are WAY behind the curve in one area of town in particular. It surprises me that TeleAtlas/TomTom is SO far behind Mapquest and Google in getting these things added. Considering TT just released a new NA map set and these roads have been in place for a year...

I think I'll start feeding back my missing street input directly to the Teleatlas "Insight" online program to be sure they're really getting it.

While submitting a problem with the map either to TT or Teleatlas may get the map data changed, they will still have to offer the updated maps. I think that is more of a TT issue but don't really know.

I know that folks have figured out a lot of Garmin's map coding and folks have taken to creating maps and editing maps. I'm not sure about progress in dealing with ROUTING maps. I have not read any such effort regarding TT's maps but I'm pretty new to TT. I have learned that its routing might be a BIT convoluted!

sure. my 920 has North America map: 710.1576. The build is 1576
Using TT Home, I see only the major (710), not the minor portion of the build number. If there's a way to get TT Home to provide more, I've not yet found it. The unit itself seems only interested in providing the FW version number.

So I went digging around, found the North_America_2GB.pna file, and see that the build is 1584.

It looks like currently, we all are experiencing no updates from map share.
I wonder what is going on over there.

So, what TT is really saying is "Thanks for doing our work for us, you will have the priviledge to have the updates that YOU provided to us when you PURCHASE a future map"??!! If I had know THAT was how mapshare worked...

I am having same issue in my neighborhood, with 2 differing instances;

1. Shows road that dead ends that now continues to a main road
2. The street I live on, they have changing names at a cross-street (even though it is straight through so I don't know how they would assume the name changes). It actually changes AFTER my house at a 90 degree turn.

I have sent these both to TT almost every day for 2-3 weeks. Now I know why it's not changing!

My map build 710.1584

oh yeah, both these roads that are incorrectly displayed have been in place for AT LEAST 3 years...

Thanks all - If it weren't for this site, I would have returned my 720 after a week. SO much better than the horrible instructions!

Rob

.So I went digging around, found the North_America_2GB.pna file, and see that the build is 1584.

Something strange......won't go into it but, at the end of November, got TomTom to allow me to **again** download NA 7.10.

I had a hell of a time getting the map to fit into 2 gigs internal storage and wound up stripping many speech files to get it to load.

Anyway, as it turns out, my build IS 1609 and the poi.dat file is 273 megs in size.

I now suspect this map version was meant for the 920 users who have more internal memory as I think the poi.dat file in the build 15xx was smaller in size.

Can someone with that build let me know the size it shows for you. Just curious. Thanks.

lucky you!

don't know why they cut it back so much on 5xx as after removing speech files I have about 650 megs free........

After stripping 2/3 of the speech files, all of the demo tunes, all the voices except 'Susie', etc., etc., except for the kitchen sink, I have just under 50 megs free.

Which is when I went out and bought a 4 gig sd card;)

Ask a Question