Mount broke

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
Has anyone had problems with the replacement mounts? Today my 910 dropped off onto the dash. I thought it had just lost suction but the thing actually broke. Called tt support and they tell me there is no warranty on the mounts. He referred it to tech support but said that normally they just advise owners to purchase a mount from the website. I reviewed the warranty and that is not what it says at all. The hardware comes with a two year warranty. There is no exclusion for the mount; only the software, damage to the case, damage from liquids or abuse and unauthorized repairs. I will advise when support contacts me.

Yes, please let us know what happens with this. I noticed just last week how my mount (supposedly the new one) started to droop on a 2 hour road trip. It didn't break apart, but it was clearly droopy.

Thanks!

Hmmm, if that's the case I can't wait for ProClip to come out with something compatible with the 910!

I don't think they are making any. I know Brodit was trying to design a mount for the x10 range and had no success.

I will contact Arat in Germany again about getting their aftermarket design.
So far they won't return my emails.

Big bummer! My dash slopes so a dash mount solution won't work for me. I wish I were creative enough to come up with my own sort of cup holder mount solution.

Let us know what you hear back from Germany! Thanks!

Drooping mount?!?

Guys with the drooping mounts, have you tried tightening it past the first click till you kinda hear a second click? That is what I was told to do when I first called support for my replacement mount (I just bought my TomTom but wanted the replacement just in case). Tightening it to the second click (although I didn't really hear one) made a HUGE difference. It hasn't drooped in more than one month and this isn't even the replacement mount!

Basically, tighten it past the lock icon and first click and it will make a difference.

Bryan

I was not having any problem at all with my mount drooping. But from looking at the broken part on my mount I think the force required to tighten it to the last locking position was the problem. It put continually pressure on the small plastic part. Although TT support said I would get a response the same day I asked them to date I have not.

I will try this tomorrow. When I say my mount drooped, what I meant is over the course of a 2 hour drive, the mount ever-so-slightly moved down, thus drooping. It didn't fall off and it wasn't drastic. But it was noticeable.

Thanks for posting this tip, I will try to tighten past the first click.

I was not having any problem at all with my mount drooping. But from looking at the broken part on my mount I think the force required to tighten it to the last locking position was the problem. It put continually pressure on the small plastic part. Although TT support said I would get a response the same day I asked them to date I have not.

I had the same thing happen back in April - BUT they did send a new mount. You are right about the force breaking the mount. It has plastic parts that pivots on a metal pin, and it was the plastic holding the pin that broke on mine.

I DID get a replacement from them under the warranty at the time - plus I told them to expect to see more of these due to the apparent fragile design.

TT support never returned the call so I made another call. After going through the "dial every number on your keypad to reach a living person" option I was disconnected. Tried again and remained on hold for sometime until I just gave up and left a message.
I have an engineer friend who looked at the mount and said he did not see it winning an award as the product of the year and that the small plastic attachment point was a weak link especially with the pressure exerted on it. The vibration that Pedro2NR is describing I had also with the unit. I was told that it had something to do with the center of gravity being so off it was going to continue. Also that it well added to the stress where my mount broke and others probably would do the same.
Will update the forum when I receive a response.

FOLLOW UP

TT support called this morning and are shipping me a new mount. There was no question from this level as there was when I first contacted them. Am looking forward to replacing the old drooping mount with the new one. Go TT.

NEW RAM Cradle for the x10 models.

RAM is making cradle for the x10 series.
pictures here and select any x10 model and it will display different options of mounting it.

It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but I'm glad to see someone making something specific for these units. Thanks for posting this!

Your welcome. It looks like the cradle can be attached to a proclip car mount instead of adding the other parts to it.

I've ordered my replacement mount (free of course) even though I've had no issues with drooping or vibrations. I've mounted mine on the lower left hand side of the windshield. I'll follow up with a pic or two soon...

Bryan

Ask a Question