MapShare Questions

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3ed.
So I chose tomtom over other GPS's because of the MapShare feature, but now that I've had a chance to play with it for 3-4 days, I've got some questions...

My tomtom ONE 3ed. came preloaded with USA/Canada 7.10
I downloaded several thousand MapShare updates for my version 7.10 maps

My understanding is that MapShare updates are specific to map version. e.g. If a MapShare change is made to version 7.10, it is not necessarily applied to map version 7.15. Is this true?

Assuming I upgrade to the version 7.15 maps, will all of the 7.10 MapShare updates be included in 7.15...is there any chance that 7.10 with all the updates is a more accurate map???

Also, I've made a couple of simple updates to the 7.10 map near my home and also made a couple change requests to MapShare, if I upgrade to map version 7.15, will I have to recreate the changes? Will I have to re-request the MapShare changes??

TIA

--matt :)

There is no guarantee that the corrections you made would show up on the next map. The 7.15 map is already out, and if you just got your v3 there's no way they would be on that map. That's one of the unknowns about Map share. Nobody knows when to expect the changes to show up on a new version. I made a bunch of corrections as soon as I was able to use Map share last Ocotber, and none of them are on the 7.15 map. Someone using that map checked for me. I would recommend that you buy a map once a year and not sooner. This will keep you in the Map share loop, and save you from wasting money.

october, that is a long time ago. I don't know what is the share really, I don't see any change.

october, that is a long time ago. I don't know what is the share really, I don't see any change.
There are changes you can make that you will see immediately such a renaming a street, blocking or unblocking roads. Reporting new roads won't show up until they decide to put it on a new map, and how long that will take is unknown

I updated to the new map and seems that the huge amount of map corrections never made it to the new map version and also the map share updates do not correct when they were corrected and worked fine in old verson of maps. Now seems I have to redo all the map share corrections agaiun to straighten them out on ones I know about and was corrected on old version of maps. Sad but kinda wish I would have left well enough alone. Seems like mapshare is useless when they update maps if they are not going to capture anything and update or even let mapshare correct with newer maps also when people turn them in on older maps.

I updated to the new map and seems that the huge amount of map corrections never made it to the new map version and also the map share updates do not correct when they were corrected and worked fine in old verson of maps. Now seems I have to redo all the map share corrections agaiun to straighten them out on ones I know about and was corrected on old version of maps. Sad but kinda wish I would have left well enough alone. Seems like mapshare is useless when they update maps if they are not going to capture anything and update or even let mapshare correct with newer maps also when people turn them in on older maps.
Maps are released quarterly, and the first one just came out. Map share has only started in October. I would wait until this years fourth quater map before I passed judgement. Don't waste your money on more than one map in a year!!!

Your right, however, new maps are free for one year for me but guess its best to not update often. I put in a route however again and it puts me traveling down an old logging trail that taked 4 weel drive to travel and is also a private road. Not very accurate and I had blocked all this in last version but became unblocked in new version. Errors like this can get someone in trouble and even my old Pocket PC with Mapopolis sent me down the highways instead of old dirt roads. Mapopolis used Navtec which appears to have much more accurate maps butg mapshare is what sold me on TomTom but it isn't all its sounded like it could be.

Your right, however, new maps are free for one year for me but guess its best to not update often. I put in a route however again and it puts me traveling down an old logging trail that taked 4 weel drive to travel and is also a private road. Not very accurate and I had blocked all this in last version but became unblocked in new version. Errors like this can get someone in trouble and even my old Pocket PC with Mapopolis sent me down the highways instead of old dirt roads. Mapopolis used Navtec which appears to have much more accurate maps butg mapshare is what sold me on TomTom but it isn't all its sounded like it could be.
I agree it may have been over-hyped a bit, but it's true that no one else has anything like it, as imperfect as it may be...

Ask a Question