Maps wiped.

Hi guys...just want to open by saying that this a fantastic forum. people here ar very knowledgable, and seem very friendly and helpful. i was really glad to see that i was not the only one having issues with my ver new tomtom one.

here's my background story, and i'll keep it short so as not to bore.

tomtom one...3rd edition i think...with the SD slot, but all content was initially on the internal memory. purchased sep07.

the thing was flawless, and i was very pleased...we used it on several roadtrips, and it seemed great. i had never really hooked it up to the computer. so i period went by where we didnt use it, and it sat for maybe a month or so. i got the idea to check to see what the unit was capable of when it interacts with a computer...i wanted to try itineraries, add POIs...blah blah.

i plug it in to the PC, turn it on (i had previously installed Home)...it tells me that updates are available, and i agreed to update the software and/or device...
from that point on i got the red X of death...tomtom noise on boot up, then the red X. it was not being recognized by Home or windows explorer, so reformating was not an option....so i waited and did a little research...
by the time i was ready to tackle it again, there was a software update, so i DL'd thinking i could be no worse off then my current position.
got the latest software, and it finally recognized my unit. so i tried updating the unit, and it downloads new firmware, but says there's no room on C:\ to install it.
so i decide to format the drive using the specs i found here (FAT for winXP).
knowing that this will erase the drive, i thought well technically i already paid for the maps, i must be able to reinstall them. i couldnt find a damn thing about reinstalling maps that werent backed up. (in hindsight i really shoulda backed up...i know...)

so finally i contacted a friend who has the same unit i do, and asked her to create a BU. she did and posted it to my FTP (not sure of the legalities of this, but i was pissed at this point). I DL'd everything and placed it into my backup folder, and it recognizes it, but says there's something that was on the TT before the backup that isnt there now, so it;s cant restore.

i was finally able to manually copy over the firware and all files needed...it boots up fine but gets a no maps found.

so im guessing that the maps are specific to HER device based on the recent thread on this forum. im not trying to rip TT off....i just want the maps that i HAD before THEIR update crashed MY device.

is there anything i can do to get maps back on my device?...i will not purchase a new device or maps...that;s insane. i paid $200 for the thing.

i know this might belong in the "maps specific to device" thread, but im hoping maybe my issue is different, and might be fixable.

i tried the sticky on here about "no maps found...what worked for me"...and did the tt clear flash thing.

im at a loss, and know my next step is getting on the phone with TT.

ANY ideas what i can do short of asking for a old back up from someone with an older device?

ANY help is greatly appreciated...i don;t need another paperweight.:(

thanks!
Fusion.

*edit* good thing i kept it short...lol...:)

Last edited:
You will have to get on the phone, wait on hold, and explain it to support. They'll probably dump a new map to your account so that you can re-install it.

ugh...i was afraid of that...:(

now to just find a number on their web site....

thanks for quick reply...i guess i know what im doing for my lunch hour.

ugh...i was afraid of that...:(

now to just find a number on their web site....

thanks for quick reply...i guess i know what im doing for my lunch hour.
Yeah, I dreaded doing it once too, but I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it was. Only thing is, you might be on hold for 30 minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you open up your account does the map automatically get put into your account?

i don't know...i registered my email address and stuff, and didnt see anything come over on the "update device" command.

another thing that concerns me is the failed install due to not enough space on C:/....there's PLENTY oof space on my C:

anyone ever seen that error before?...i'll take a screenshot if anyone is curious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you open up your account does the map automatically get put into your account?
Yes, it should be on your computer's hard drive, but he's run into the problem of the unit saying that there is no room left on it to load anything. I ran into this problem about six months ago, and support took care of it over the phone.

that;s good to know...im sorry your suffered, but it's good to know i dont have an unheard of error. misery LOVES company...lol.

im surprised, then, that the TT1 is being read as C: and not F: as it is on my machine...

that;s good to know...im sorry your suffered, but it's good to know i dont have an unheard of error. misery LOVES company...lol.

im surprised, then, that the TT1 is being read as C: and not F: as it is on my machine...

And I think that is a **significant** issue with your problem. There is no way that your unit should be 'seen' as C:\ by Windows.

What drive letter does Windows show for your computer's hard drive??

in the explorer window...
my main drive is C:
my recover drive is D:
TT comes up as F:

seeing the TT as C: is def an oddity.

in the explorer window...
my main drive is C:
my recover drive is D:
TT comes up as F:

seeing the TT as C: is def an oddity.

My gut reaction if this were my machine would be to do a system restore to a point prior to the installation of the software and reinstalling.

you mean do a system restore on my laptop?
man, i would hope i wouldnt have to go that far.

smokie...when you had the "no room to install" error...was it mentioning the C: drive?

you mean do a system restore on my laptop?
man, i would hope i wouldnt have to go that far.

smokie...when you had the "no room to install" error...was it mentioning the C: drive?
Know what? It does. My desktop lists my hard drive as E:. It's been that way since I replaced the hard drive after the original one went south.

Know what? It does. My desktop lists my hard drive as E:. It's been that way since I replaced the hard drive after the original one went south.

I wonder whether it's worth right clicking on your 'My computer' icon on your desktop (if a pc), choose 'manage', choose 'disk management'. You CAN change drive letters assigned but you have to be comfortable knowing what you are doing.

I wonder whether it's worth right clicking on your 'My computer' icon on your desktop (if a pc), choose 'manage', choose 'disk management'. You CAN change drive letters assigned but you have to be comfortable knowing what you are doing.
The way you explain it sounds very simple, but what are the chances I could really screw the whole thing up? Is it really worth it to change it? Things seem to be working fine as it is.

so a little update for anyone that cres, or those who might do the same dumb thing i did by neglecting the backup process :eek: ...

i called tomtom (with a hold time of about 47seconds, to my delight.)
they instructed me to try reinstalling all the softwares, and signing in to my account, and the maps should be able to be downloaded, and if not, call back and the chances are good they will give me the maps again.

i wound up finding the disk that came with my TT1, and learned that what i have is a 2nd edition.

anyway, i wiped everything tomtom related off my machine, wiped the tomtom clean, and started over by installing Home ver 1.4.

from there it reinstalled the firmware, and all voices and whatnot.

it went through a couple updates, and not i have the most current versions of home, and the firmware.

so now i just have to call tomtom back and tell them that the maps didnt download, and have them set that up for me. i just havent been able to dedicate any time to this little project before tomtom closes at 7pm est.

thanks for all your help and feedback...much appreciated! :)

Fusion

so a little update for anyone that cres, or those who might do the same dumb thing i did by neglecting the backup process :eek: ...

i called tomtom (with a hold time of about 47seconds, to my delight.)
they instructed me to try reinstalling all the softwares, and signing in to my account, and the maps should be able to be downloaded, and if not, call back and the chances are good they will give me the maps again.

i wound up finding the disk that came with my TT1, and learned that what i have is a 2nd edition.

anyway, i wiped everything tomtom related off my machine, wiped the tomtom clean, and started over by installing Home ver 1.4.

from there it reinstalled the firmware, and all voices and whatnot.

it went through a couple updates, and not i have the most current versions of home, and the firmware.

so now i just have to call tomtom back and tell them that the maps didnt download, and have them set that up for me. i just havent been able to dedicate any time to this little project before tomtom closes at 7pm est.

thanks for all your help and feedback...much appreciated! :)

Fusion
That's great! I'm blown away by your hold time!!! I had to call them for a similar problem back in September, and I was on hold for 30 minutes. It was well worth the wait though :)

up and runnin'

so i stayed home with my son today because he was under the weather (poor lil' guy)...but the silver lining was that this time allowed me to call tomtom first thing this morning, and after literally 15seconds on hold, i had a CS rep, explained where i was in the process and he said they would add the US and CAN map to my account. i plugged in the device, selected update my ONE, and sho 'nuff...maps loaded, and everything works like it's new. yay.

NOW i can finally get familiar with what can be done using 3rd party sw, and DL some useful POI files.

of course i will do a back up this afternoon BEFORE i mess with ANYTHING...lol.

again, many kudos to this site for assistance, advice, and overall coolness. ;)

Fusion

Ask a Question