Map Updates for Gift GPS?

I bought a 730 for a Christmas gift for my son: can I register the unit now on my home computer for the map up-dates, (so that I am within the 30 days from date of purchase) and then have my son transfer TomTom Home to his computer after he receives it at Christmas?

I need specific step-by-step instructions, as I am slowly losing my ability to follow instructions!

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

That will work.

Before doing anything, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, the information in this link should help.

Next, register an account at TomTom with an email address/password. It doesn't even have to be a real email address.

Use Home (there is a screen in Home to put the email address you are using) to get the LMG and other updates. Then make another Explorer backup to a different folder.

When your son gets the gift, he can install Home on his computer and use the same email address/password as his account.

OR.....................

Put it away till Christmas and give it to your son then. Yes, it's technically well over 30 days since the unit was bought but it was not used at all...this happens all the time when people buy units during 'Black Friday' sales which happen over 30 days before Christmas. TomTom is pretty good about allowing the LMG for these situations.

The advantage of doing this is that there will be a new map (840) out at the end of November. If you update now, you just get 835; if you wait, he can update to 840 using the LMG.

Anyway.......two options for you.

Response from TomTom

Got an immediate response from TomTom. Great service.

"" The timer for the Latest Map Guarantee does not begin until the TomTom is used. If the device is not used until it is given as a gift, your son should have no issues downloading his latest map. We do recommend keeping a copy of the original receipt though, just in case there is any complications when trying to download the map.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

While it is true that the 30 day timer doesn't technically begin until its used, beware that the timer is often broken/ignored for older models (especially the 720).

If the technical timer is broken, you have to call the Tomtom support and fax a receipt to get the map. When calling, they honor the stricter "legal" timer which is 30 days from receipt purchase data.

Ask a Question