Map Update

TomTom Model(s)
Go920
DHN

Hi there hope all is well with you?

Just updated my 920 with 9.430 and the update went well. However I am still using NA Map 720 and would now like to update. Home is telling me that there are two NA maps Ver. 885.4087. One is 1757.9 MB and the other is 1676 MB?

Are these the latest out and why are they different size?

I am assuming this can be downloaded now from Canada as there was a problem earlier with this process?
Also does this new map overwrite the existing?

From what I can tell, the 1676.3 version has: 4.2 million Points of Interest
The 1759 mb version has: 7 million Points of Interest

Both show for $60 cdn. Guess what one you should go for? :)

I also see that Mexico is no longer offered as part of North_America maps.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents before updating your map.

IF, and it's a big IF, the new North_America map is named the same as your older one, then it should overwrite the contents. I have a suspicion they may not match and you might get the 'no room to install' error.

So, after your Explorer backup, MAKE SURE it is on the computer and does include the existing NA map you have. Them use Explorer to copy delete the existing NA map folder from the unit. Then you should have no problem with the installation of the 1757.9 mb version of the updated map.

Depends on model and/or what country you're buying from?

I knew I had Mexico on one of my v880 US maps, so I just checked the mapshop and I'm offered this for my Go1015:
USA, Canada & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 2752 MB

But if I select the Go920 I'm offered all of these:

USA & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 1625.4 MB or
USA & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 1697.2 MB or

USA - Single Map(v8.85) 1517.6 MB

...but if I want Canada I can only have
Canada & Alaska - Single Map(v8.85) 257.8 MB

So no US+Canada version available! (and no mention of "NA" either...)

Depends on model and/or what country you're buying from?

I knew I had Mexico on one of my v880 US maps, so I just checked the mapshop and I'm offered this for my Go1015:
USA, Canada & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 2752 MB

But if I select the Go920 I'm offered all of these:

USA & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 1625.4 MB or
USA & Mexico - Single Map(v8.85) 1697.2 MB or

USA - Single Map(v8.85) 1517.6 MB

...but if I want Canada I can only have
Canada & Alaska - Single Map(v8.85) 257.8 MB

So no US+Canada version available! (and no mention of "NA" either...)

Interesting! I have the choice of NA and it includes Canada, USA & Puerto Rico.

Must be country designated as you suggest?:confused:

From what I can tell, the 1676.3 version has: 4.2 million Points of Interest
The 1759 mb version has: 7 million Points of Interest

Both show for $60 cdn. Guess what one you should go for? :)

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents before updating your map.

IF, and it's a big IF, the new North_America map is named the same as your older one, then it should overwrite the contents. I have a suspicion they may not match and you might get the 'no room to install' error.

So, after your Explorer backup, MAKE SURE it is on the computer and does include the existing NA map you have. Them use Explorer to copy delete the existing NA map folder from the unit. Then you should have no problem with the installation of the 1757.9 mb version of the updated map.

DHN

I have not downloaded a map before however I am fully aware of the backup of current unit using Explorer thanks to you.
Question I have is that I scanned the forum and I do not see an actual method of just what should be done when downloading in regards to the unit itself. Does the unit have to be connected to the computer when downloading? The reason I ask is because I would like to go to a friend's who has DSL and download the map then copy to unit once I get home. Can this be done and if so what steps do I take to accomplish the download without a lot of problem.:thumb:

Also do I just purchase the new map through Home? I am running the latest version 2.8.:confused:

Thanks

PS: Is there somewhere in my prodile that I can have the responses sent to my email whithout having to come back in to check? I could not find it:(

Yes, for that model, the unit needs to be connected to Home. So, if you install Home on the other computer (tomtom.com/home) and log in with the same email address you use on your own computer.

You would use Home's Add Maps icon. It should take you through the purchase process screens. Once the map is purchased, it should become available through 'Update my Unit' in Home. So, you could actually do the purchasing on your own computer. And then go to the other computer and log into Home there with the same email address you used to purchase the map on your computer.

Sometimes, it does take an hour or longer for a purchased map to appear in the 'Update' screen.

Yes, for that model, the unit needs to be connected to Home. So, if you install Home on the other computer (tomtom.com/home) and log in with the same email address you use on your own computer.

You would use Home's Add Maps icon. It should take you through the purchase process screens. Once the map is purchased, it should become available through 'Update my Unit' in Home. So, you could actually do the purchasing on your own computer. And then go to the other computer and log into Home there with the same email address you used to purchase the map on your computer.

Sometimes, it does take an hour or longer for a purchased map to appear in the 'Update' screen.

Okay "Thank You" :thumb:

[

PS: Is there somewhere in my profile that I can have the responses sent to my email without having to come back in to check? I could not find it:(

At the top of this topic, you'll see a menu for "thread tools", and in that menu is "Subscribe". Click on that and you will get the option of instant notifications of replies by email or daily/weekly "digests" of replies.

Also whenever you start a new topic or post a reply to an existing one, below the message window that you type in is a section called "Thread subscription". That has similar options for how you would like to be informed by email.

I'm just doing a test to remind myself whether you only get a notification and a link beck here, or whether the text from the reply is actually copied into the email too.

Edit: Yes, you DO get the text of the forum reply in the email notification (along with a link to bring you straight to it in the forum so you can reply)

Last edited:
[

PS: Is there somewhere in my profile that I can have the responses sent to my email without having to come back in to check? I could not find it:(

At the top of this topic, you'll see a menu for "thread tools", and in that menu is "Subscribe". Click on that and you will get the option of instant notifications of replies by email or daily/weekly "digests" of replies.

Also whenever you start a new topic or post a reply to an existing one, below the message window that you type in is a section called "Thread subscription". That has similar options for how you would like to be informed by email.

I'm just doing a test to remind myself whether you only get a notification and a link beck here, or whether the text from the reply is actually copied into the email too.

Edit: Yes, you DO get the text of the forum reply in the email notification (along with a link to bring you straight to it in the forum so you can reply)

Thanks Andy_P....much appreciated:thumb:

Ask a Question