Map update in 3 months?

On Mar 31 2008 I purchased map v.715 after talking to a TT rep. He told me that 715 was released about one month earlier (so released in Feb 08?), that maps were released about once a year, and that if a new update was published within 1 year I could download it without additional cost. Now, less than 2 months later I get an email announcing new maps....v.720. I cannot download it without paying $99. I have emailed support several times, and today called them. Bottom line is they tell me I received inaccurate information from their rep and that I will have to pay for the new maps even though I paid for an update less than 2 months ago. Is this typical of TT customer support and customer relations? I bought both of my sons TT Ones recently, and before this unfortunate experience, but now I regret doing so and certainly will not recommend TT to anyone based on this experience.

If it makes you feel better, there is some evidence the 720 map of NA is a step down from the 715 in some areas, like quantity of poi's included.

TT has a 30-day map guarantee. Trust me, there are no great changes you are missing in the 720 map that you don't already have in the 715, if you ask those who have them.

The **significant** changes to users of 720, 920 and other prior x30 models will be when TomTom makes available Navcore 8.x firmware for these units. THEN, there may be a necessity to upgrade your map to work with N8 to get features such as IQ routing, Advanced Lane Assist, etc.

Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

It seems to me that if a TT rep reported certain information, they, in being their mistake, should honor whatever was said...this is my opinion and a sign of a good customer support department. Dont get me wrong, I really love my 720, but I have issues with their customer support department and the way the seem to treat NA customers

Thanks for all the feedback! Especially your input on quality of v.720, dhn.

And RobM I certainly agree that a company should stand by information provided by their representatives, but evidently TT does not share our view. I am very happy with their systems, but terribly disappointed with their customer service. It's unfortunate that one choose between quality of systems and quality of customer service. I have an older Magellan that I replace with a TT One with portability as my major consideration since I fly to many locations in the US. The One is great, but Magellan customer service beats TT hands-down.

Great group! Cheers.

Thanks for all the feedback! Especially your input on quality of v.720, dhn.

And RobM I certainly agree that a company should stand by information provided by their representatives, but evidently TT does not share our view. I am very happy with their systems, but terribly disappointed with their customer service. It's unfortunate that one choose between quality of systems and quality of customer service. I have an older Magellan that I replace with a TT One with portability as my major consideration since I fly to many locations in the US. The One is great, but Magellan customer service beats TT hands-down.

Great group! Cheers.
If you got a free one year mapudate brochure in the box your device came in you will be able to get the new map. My 920 came with this but I'm not sure if any of the other models did. So far I've been treated very well by TT support. I have a new 930 and foolishly went ahead and downloaded the new 8.05 map which got charged to my credit card. I faxed in my sales receipt and emailed them about the issue and they are crediting my card back for the map. I had read speculation that they would not do this if you had already purchased it so I was prepared to be denied the credit but I had no problem. I've had to contact them about 3 or 4 times for issues with different devices and compared to some other customer service operations with other companies they have really been efficient with me.
John

Ask a Question