Map Question

TomTom Model(s)
TTXL335S and TT1
Hello,
I have a TT1 that I purchased a couple of months ago. I am happy with it's ease of use and it is useful to have when driving around. We took a camping trip between Kingston, Ont. and Mrytle Beach SC. We pulled our trailer and made 2 stops along the way at major camp grounds in Pensilvania and Virgina. While the TT1 did identify each of the camp grounds as a POI and directed us to the general area OK when we got close to the destination we discovered that Tom did not have the correct location for the destination. It was off by a few miles in both cases. It also had the location of the Mrytle Beach State Park wrong. Again it got us close, but didn't get us to the front gate properly. So on this trip, for finding campgrounds it was 0 for 3. Is this typical? My map version is 665.1293. Thanks

I think the ONE is just trying to get you to the general park area and not the specific camping area your looking for. I assume the park is pretty big and it may not have the area you want in it listed as the main address. Although I believe my map version is slightly newer than yours, I haven't had and POI problems with my ONE XL.

The built-in POIs are often (always?) wrong. Part of it just comes with the territory - it's hard to drive around and reality-check these things! If a POI gets me close enough, that's OK by me. When you think about it, even putting in an address doesn't always get you exactly to your destination.

When I'm going on a longer trip or am more concerned about getting lost (for instance I have to be somewhere by a certain time) I will reality-check any POIs/Addresses I use in Google Maps/Google Earth.

What really bothers me are the "stupid" POIs - golf course POIs seem to often direct you to the maintenance building instead of the clubhouse or main entrance. College/University POIs often are actually day care centers?!

Address vs POI

So I guess it is better to navigate by address instead of trusting the built in POI's? I used the POI's when they popped up so easily during the navigation planning. Next time I'll check with the address to see if they agree.

Ask a Question