MapShare Question

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM
I would like to make a map correction for my use only and not share it with anyone else.

This correction is a turn restriction which is not real but is there only to prevent the TT from creating a route through that particular intersection.

When I made this correction there wasn't a selection for if I wanted to share this correction with others.

Is there a way I can prevent this one correction (but not others) from going out when I update my device?

I would hate to mess up someone else since this turn is valid.

Good. It should ask you if you want to "Share" every MapShare change you make.

Good. It should ask you if you want to "Share" every MapShare change you make.

Only if you selected that in the options...

There are choices for "Never share", "always share" and "ask me every time".

Guess what I should have said is that if it ever asks, it should always ask. Since the OP wanted to make an exception to his normal situation, I assumed he already had it set for "Ask".

I've got mine set to always ask as well, since like him, I have some personal preferences that aren't actual restrictions, but I prefer to avoid some road sections. To the OP - you may also find that blocking certain roads can be handy. There's nothing like 'local knowledge'.

To the OP - always keep a copy of the userpatch.dat file from the root of your unit. Actually, we recommend people keep a FULL backup (using your OS) of your unit, but that particular file can be separately restored if you ever run into problems later.

{snip}

To the OP - you may also find that blocking certain roads can be handy. There's nothing like 'local knowledge'.
Now that I've figured out how to do it, I've been making some changes that now gives me routes more to my liking.

To the OP - always keep a copy of the userpatch.dat file from the root of your unit. Actually, we recommend people keep a FULL backup (using your OS) of your unit, but that particular file can be separately restored if you ever run into problems later.
Thanks for the info on the userpatch.dat file.
Could you tell me what it's for and how to use it if need be?

Also, I always make a backup every time I connect the device to the computer before I do anything with it.

[
Thanks for the info on the userpatch.dat file.
Could you tell me what it's for and how to use it if need be?

Also, I always make a backup every time I connect the device to the computer before I do anything with it.
That's a good practice - assuming that you are doing it with your computer's own copy function and not Home.

You are one of the unusual folks that make tweaks to the map as a matter of personal preference. Since from what you say, you likely have a fair bit of time invested in your tweaks, you just need to know that the file I mentioned retains that information. Should you lose your tweaks at any time (file becomes corrupt, you have to reformat, whatever), that is the file that you'd want to restore to your unit to restore those personal changes.

But as long as you're doing full backups, you're already keeping a safe copy of it.

Last edited:
When MapShare first started, I did a few experiments...

Map Corrections incoming from TomTom seem to be involved with 3 DAT Files; "ServerNameIndex.dat", "ServerLineIndex.dat" and "MapServerPatch.dat".

Your own correcctions (as canderson so rightly says) are stored in "UserPatch.dat" in the root directory, but I reckon it also needs another file (in the map folder) called "MapUserPatch.dat".

If you delete either file they recreate themselves but if you do not have a matching pair you seem to lose your changes/corrections.

So keep 'em both!
(which you are doing already, thanks to your sensible backup procedures)

Oops - yes, need to hang onto both of them! And the second file is stored in the folder that contains your map, not the root of the unit.

That's a good practice - assuming that you are doing it with your computer's own copy function and not Home.
Actually I have a free application called PureSync that does it for me automatically every time I connect the device to the computer.

You are one of the unusual folks that make tweaks to the map as a matter of personal preference. Since from what you say, you likely have a fair bit of time invested in your tweaks, you just need to know that the file I mentioned retains that information. Should you lose your tweaks at any time (file becomes corrupt, you have to reformat, whatever), that is the file that you'd want to restore to your unit to restore those personal changes.

But as long as you're doing full backups, you're already keeping a safe copy of it.
I was also wondering how I could cancel all my corrections if I ever decide to since I'm sure I'll not be able to remember them all, but I think Andy_P has answered that question below.

When MapShare first started, I did a few experiments...

Map Corrections incoming from TomTom seem to be involved with 3 DAT Files; "ServerNameIndex.dat", "ServerLineIndex.dat" and "MapServerPatch.dat".

Your own correcctions (as canderson so rightly says) are stored in "UserPatch.dat" in the root directory, but I reckon it also needs another file (in the map folder) called "MapUserPatch.dat".

If you delete either file they recreate themselves but if you do not have a matching pair you seem to lose your changes/corrections.

So keep 'em both!
(which you are doing already, thanks to your sensible backup procedures)
Thanks Andy, I think you just answered my question as to how I could cancel all my corrections if I ever want to.

Thanks, guys.

Ask a Question