MapShare correction question.

Z28

TomTom Model(s)
XL330
How do you go about making large corrections with MapShare?
I live in Crystal River, FL. The main north south street is US19,
it has many different names at various locations. Both TT and Google
does a bad job of finding addresses on that route, I think that the
cause is that house numbers are not properly defined.
Another situation, there are a number of streets named SE ??th AVE.
House numbers on these streets increase from North to South but
both TT and Google think that they increase from South to North.
Any suggestions? Thanks. All versions shown below.:confused:

How do you go about making large corrections with MapShare?
I live in Crystal River, FL. The main north south street is US19,
it has many different names at various locations. Both TT and Google
does a bad job of finding addresses on that route, I think that the
cause is that house numbers are not properly defined.
Another situation, there are a number of streets named SE ??th AVE.
House numbers on these streets increase from North to South but
both TT and Google think that they increase from South to North.
Any suggestions? Thanks. All versions shown below.:confused:
With issues that complex, I'd take them directly to www.teleatlas.com. That's where TT gets its maps, and you can make corrections there, often with a bit less pain than the TomTom screen.

With issues that complex, I'd take them directly to www.teleatlas.com. That's where TT gets its maps, and you can make corrections there, often with a bit less pain than the TomTom screen.

Thanks for that info... I had no idea we could submit changed directly to TeleAtlas. Much easier than typing on the tiny screen of the TomTom.

Thanks for the idea Canderson, I'll give it a try.:)
I went there and submitted several map changes that should help finding things in this city. Fairly easy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea Canderson, I'll give it a try.:)
I went there and submitted several map changes that should help finding things in this city. Fairly easy.
Don't be surprised if it takes a long while to see the results. If you did as many of us do and submitted your changes with your email address to be updated on any progress, you'll get a sense of why it takes SO long for TT to get their maps updated. Once TeleAtlas finally gets the change made, you wind up waiting until TT requests a new map release from TeleAtlas, and then you wait until it's formatted for TT use.

I'm still waiting for TeleAtlas to get Step 1 done, but at least it's in the mill.

For changes more trivial than the ones you needed to make, the MapShare deal works pretty well. But if roads need to be added, MapShare won't send those back through the update process. Those are a 1 way street (- ouch - sorry). Might as well make those changes at TeleAtlas where there's no delay getting the info to the right people, and their interface really is easier to use.

When I went to teleatlas, I made two different changes. One was that all streets with a SE prefix had house numbers increasing in the wrong direction.
The second one was that the main street in my town was misnamed N or NE
when in fact it is S or SE south of a given cross street. The result was that most of our businesses of all types show up incorrectly. Within 2 hours I got
emails from them saying they had gotten the changes. Haven't heard anything
else for about a week.

When I went to teleatlas, I made two different changes. One was that all streets with a SE prefix had house numbers increasing in the wrong direction.
The second one was that the main street in my town was misnamed N or NE
when in fact it is S or SE south of a given cross street. The result was that most of our businesses of all types show up incorrectly. Within 2 hours I got
emails from them saying they had gotten the changes. Haven't heard anything
else for about a week.
You won't hear back. The links in the emails they sent to you (hope you kept them) point back to the incident reports on their site, and there you will find the updated status of your change requests. Since the changes you requested won't be simple satellite checks, it may take longer since they'll need someone "on the street" to do the fieldwork.

Ask a Question