Map of USA v7.20 ????

Just got my TT 720 last week. What is the difference between the "preloaded maps" and "Map of USA v7.20"

I do not plan to go to Canada anytime soon so I was looking at paying the $59.99

Just got my TT 720 last week. What is the difference between the "preloaded maps" and "Map of USA v7.20"

I do not plan to go to Canada anytime soon so I was looking at paying the $59.99

The 720 comes preloaded with a North American map with has more detail and poi's than the equivalent USA&Canada map.

You are entitled to 1 free upgrade within 30 days. It will be (or should be) an upgrade to the North America map installed. Don't foget to take it.

Spending money for a lesser map, regardless of whether you ever plan to travel in Canada, is not logical. (No, I'm not Mr. Spock :eek: )

You are entitled to 1 free upgrade within 30 days. It will be (or should be) an upgrade to the North America map installed. Don't foget to take it.

how do I get the "1 free upgrade"? I hooked into tomtom home 2 and it says I am up to date. The "latest map guarantee" is up to date.

That is alright - the latest pre-loaded map is up to date.

So....basically my question is:

Map of USA v7.20 ($59.99) better than preloaded maps or are they one in the same maps??

Download of Map 'North America' v720.1803

how do I get the "1 free upgrade"? I hooked into tomtom home 2 and it says I am up to date. The "latest map guarantee" is up to date.

That is alright - the latest pre-loaded map is up to date.

So....basically my question is:

Map of USA v7.20 ($59.99) better than preloaded maps or are they one in the same maps??

IF you put your your TT 720 into service for the first time less than 30 days ago (or have a 1 year certificate) you are entitled to ONE free map upgrade. You can tell what version you have by tapping the lower right corner of the TT 720 screen and then tapping the version number (latest number should be 8.010) that will open a screen that tells you among other things what version map you have. IF you qualify for the upgrade send a question via TT.com and be prepared to furnish a scanned or JPEG image of your dated invoice with model and price. TT customer service will review what you send them and inform you IF they will download the most current map to your account. They will give you instructions as to how to access this download. I just did mine yesterday and it worked without a problem, The download is large and takes about 1 hour + (high speed cable connection download). You should then download and install all the MapShare updates AFTER the new v720 map is installed. NOTE: Don't forget to backup using TT Home both before and after you download and upgrade. Gloria was the TT Customer Service rep that helped me and she was wonderful!https://www.tomtomforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

North_America_2GB is a better map than the USA map as it is more detailed. Also, the North American map is the only one that will allow you to utilize your unit's 720 capability (if you so choose to do the hack). If/When you get your free map, stick with the North America map.

IF you put your your TT 720 into service for the first time less than 30 days ago (or have a 1 year certificate) you are entitled to ONE free map upgrade. You can tell what version you have by tapping the lower right corner of the TT 720 screen and then tapping the version number (latest number should be 8.010) that will open a screen that tells you among other things what version map you have. IF you qualify for the upgrade send a question via TT.com and be prepared to furnish a scanned or JPEG image of your dated invoice with model and price. TT customer service will review what you send them and inform you IF they will download the most current map to your account. They will give you instructions as to how to access this download. I just did mine yesterday and it worked without a problem, The download is large and takes about 1 hour + (high speed cable connection download). You should then download and install all the MapShare updates AFTER the new v720 map is installed. NOTE: Don't forget to backup using TT Home both before and after you download and upgrade. Gloria was the TT Customer Service rep that helped me and she was wonderful!https://www.tomtomforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

so if I have version 8.010 (which I do) I do not need to purchase either the $59.99 or $79.99 maps offered on TT.com?

8.010 is the most recent version of the software that runs everything on the tomtom (TomTom Application). The most recent version of the North_America_2GB map is v720.1803.

so which i better?

version 8.010

or

North_America_2GB map is v720.1803

I think you are confusing apples and oranges. Version 8.010 is the latest OPERATING SYSTEM. Version 7.20 is the MAP.

Do this:
1. Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen will show you the version number of the SOFTWARE.
2. Tap that screen one more time. You now see the MAP Version and build installed on your unit.

I looked at the USA map too and wondered the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense that the "USA" map would be identical to the "North_America_2GB" map just not include anything but the USA and POI's associated with? Since I don't plan to go outside the USA anytime soon I could save $20 by buying the USA only map. In fact I'm thinking it might be better as far as POI's go because it's physically smaller so there'd be more room for POI's and they wouldn't have to be trimmed back to fit within 2gb. Puzzling huh?

8.010 is the most recent version of the software that runs everything on the tomtom (TomTom Application). The most recent version of the North_America_2GB map is v720.1803.

My map is not v720.1803, it is v710.1584:

But whenever I connect to my TT Home, it says that it already came with the latest map. I have had this TT for 2 weeks now. How do I make it "see" that there is a newer version so I can download it?

My map is not v720.1803, it is v710.1584:

But whenever I connect to my TT Home, it says that it already came with the latest map. I have had this TT for 2 weeks now. How do I make it "see" that there is a newer version so I can download it?

Unfortunately, the latest map guarantee functionality in Home is not very reliable. You'll have to CALL (don't bother emailing) Support and explain; it is a common problem. I expect they will want a scan, fax or photo of your bill of sale to prove the date of purchase and they'll make the 7.20 map available to you via Update My Computer.

so which i better?

version 8.010

or

North_America_2GB map is v720.1803

The latest map version for x30s is v8.05 and if you compared it to v7.20 for x20s, the difference lies in data for ALG and IQ routes but the actual map roads are the same coverage based on the same date.

Yes, but we're not discussing the x30 series. OP has a 720, for which the version 8 maps have not (yet) been released.

I looked at the USA map too and wondered the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense that the "USA" map would be identical to the "North_America_2GB" map just not include anything but the USA and POI's associated with? Since I don't plan to go outside the USA anytime soon I could save $20 by buying the USA only map. In fact I'm thinking it might be better as far as POI's go because it's physically smaller so there'd be more room for POI's and they wouldn't have to be trimmed back to fit within 2gb. Puzzling huh?

POI's really aren't that big. Even with the North_America_2GB map, plus several voices and lots of POIs, I still have over 120 MB free on my TT720's internal memory. Not to mention the 2 GB I have on my SD card for mp3s. Comparison of the two that I've seen has shown the North American maps to be more detailed than the US maps, and the simple fact that voice recognition works with the North American maps but NOT the USA maps is reason enough for me to keep the NA maps. And hey, you never know when you might need to go to Canada. lol

Unfortunately, the latest map guarantee functionality in Home is not very reliable. You'll have to CALL (don't bother emailing) Support and explain; it is a common problem. I expect they will want a scan, fax or photo of your bill of sale to prove the date of purchase and they'll make the 7.20 map available to you via Update My Computer.

Thank you much dhn, and as always, you've been a big help. I called them and they told me I have to send them proof of purchase (in my case Paypal) and send this proof to them via email They gave me a reference number and I will send them the docs.

For future reference, here is where they sent me to send proof:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7783&Lid=4 "How do I attach or upload images/files to my support question?"

Thank you much dhn, and as always, you've been a big help. I called them and they told me I have to send them proof of purchase (in my case Paypal) and send this proof to them via email They gave me a reference number and I will send them the docs.

For future reference, here is where they sent me to send proof:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7783&Lid=4 "How do I attach or upload images/files to my support question?"

One more question (sorry for hijacking this thread, but I didn't think I should start a new one since it is related to a previous question in this thread)

Today i recieved an email from TT to download the new map, but it is different than what is installed on the 720.

From a previous discussion:

Here is the basic breakdown for USA and Canada maps:

USA_and_Canada - made for 1GB units (i.e. ONE units)

North_America_2GB - made for 2GB units (i.e. GO 720/730)

North_America - made for 4GB units (i.e. GO 920/930)

My question: I have the "North_America_2GB" currently installed on my TT, but the download they gave me is "North America". Is this the updated version of "North_America_2GB" or did they give me a map for the TT920?

I didn't want to download it if it is the wrong one, and tech support is closed for the day.

Thanks for any and all help.

At 1617mb it looks to be the right size for the 720. The one for the 920 is in the 1853mb range.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying the USA version and see if it's any different than the USA part of the North America map.

At 1617mb it looks to be the right size for the 720. The one for the 920 is in the 1853mb range.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying the USA version and see if it's any different than the USA part of the North America map.

My understanding is that the USA map is NOT more detailed than the NA version but, as usual, I stand to be corrected ...

Ask a Question